Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Week 17- Let's Talk About It!

Folks, we are in Week 17- time to get that MOJO going for the race! Saw on the dashboard that some people are debating to test vs not to test. I'll be testing tomorrow, since based on my numbers for rides on course and how I feel, I think I just haven't had a good test yet. Not expecting great things on tired legs, but worth at least practicing the suffering that is the bike test. Other than that, my big plan for the week is trying to boost my confidence for the swim, because that training has definitely been subpar this year.

Post and share your workouts! Make some noise people!

Comments

• Options
    I am riding in a couple local bike groups today one at 0400-0615 and then a very intense hard group ride from 0630-0900. I count the second ride as my testimage. I personally don't test this close to race because I'm so dialed in on my current #'s I don't want to mess with them or injure myself by trying to pull off a high FTP or a new vDOT. Bottom line is I'm happy racing with my current FTP and feel it is higher then what I tested at last so of I go over then so be it.

Now I will test again before starting back into my build for Ironman Cozumel.
  • Options
    I'm not testing. I'm cooked, actually triaged n backed off the last few days. Getting back on course today, but no testing.

Again, let me reiterate....my legs are flat.

I'm good tho.

Have been very consistent this year. I'll be ready for the 8th.
  • Options
    As a counterpoint: I have been pointing to peak for this test all year. I needed to do the test with my race wheels/Powertap as well. This is also a new testing protocol for me, so I needed to get out there. I went through the first 5' at 308w. Then 280w for 20', yeilding a FTP of 266w. This is an 8w increase over my IMWI '11 number, so I'm pretty pleased.
  • Options
    I tested today and came in where I thought I should be. It was my first test outdoors of the season and with "new replacement" Quarq. VO2 at 362W and FTP at 300W. As a bonus, the VO2 test was a two mile Strava segment and got the new KOM on it.
  • Options
    I tested today to see where my recovery is after crashing 10 days ago.  I'm still bruised up on my left hip, thigh and right shoulder, but I did better than I thought I would.  VO2 of 309, and FTP of 255.  Both down 10 watts from end of JOS, but I'll take it knowing I not 100%, have cumulated a lot of fatigue since I'm raced 1 sprint, 3 Olys and 2 HIMs since May. On the plus side I've dropped 4 lbs since end of April, so I'm at 160.  I want to race at 158-159.  I should be ok for IMWI, mostly worried about my shoulder and the swim.
  • Options

Very VERY happy with today's test.

My last test in June was a complete and total FAIL.  Today...not so much.  

• 5min VO2: 318  (avg power was 311 for a VI of 0.98...huh??)
    • 20min Power: 285
    • ----> FTP 271.  (a 2W bump up, by the way)

I was very surprised with the result, to be honest.  I expected it to come in a bit lower due to cumulative fatigue, no real rest prior to the test, etc, etc, etc.  Have to say that I am was very pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

• Options
    Last long run done. My long run pace has been very consistent. I think I have a better idea of what I'm capable of this time around. Just 2 more rough weekends to go?
  • Options
    Rode 92 mile at overall intensity ~ .87 so very happy so know my FTP is around 300. Goal is to ride around .74 intensity and run a 3:45 marathon.

Last long run done today in very tired legs. Last RR is on Aug 23. Looking forward to it.