Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

Week 11

well, week 11 started off with a skipped swim. Work got in the way.

My plan for the week is to do the tuesday run but to stretch it to 90 min. Swim at lunch. Wednesday the FTP bike session. Thursday 90min run as Rx'd and swim at lunch. Friday - not sure. might just rest. I want to do the big day saturday. Running the days in a row is a bad idea for me. So I could bike, I could do swim drills or I could do my job. We shall see. All in all it will be a much lighter week than the past two.

Comments

• Options
    hmm, I just posted in groups and then found this thread. I also looked at this week as well. going to do my big day on Friday. gonna ease back into running after coming off prenizone for piriformis/sciatica... so we are talking minutes here so the run workouts per se won't be happening! very hot here this week so my workouts get worked in around the heat and personal life schedule!
  • Options
    My day actually started with an impromptu run test. I missed it a few weeks ago coming off the GF plan and just couldn't work it in. Well this morning was nice a cool here in SC, 58, to be exact so I opted for an early run morning run test. It went well and I increased my vDot. Planned on my swim after getting kids off to school and working at my farm but things pretty much imploded from there. Broken piece of equipment, couldn't get parts, sister in laws house just down the road broken into, wife having to work her 24hr shift backwards....oh what a day! Lets just hope tomorrow gets better!
  • Options
    The Monday swim started but never made it past the warm up. Too wiped out from the rides this weekend. Doing the Big Day on Sunday with a local EN teammate. 10K race on Labor Day but no swim as the pool will be closed.
  • Options
    glad it isnt just me! got the tuesday run in. 3x1mi z3. Ran 90min with the bulk of the extra before the intervals. I have cranky achillies and knees and I wanted to see if a longer warm up would mean less limping later in the day. We shall see.

Got swim done at lunch. All boxes checked for the day.
  • Options
    @Marianne... Welcome... Good luck with your recovery from piriformis/sciatica.... I suffered from night time sciatica last year and it was brutal..

@ All.... nice job juggling things around to do what you can making sure sleep and recovery is in there..... My first 2 years of IM's I was working 2 nights, 2 days, and 1 midnight shift every week, with 2 quick turns (only 8hrs between shifts) as an Air Traffic Controller.... I managed to get it done but sleep was the main issue! Nowaday's I'm lucky enough to be retired , the training is not any easier , but sleep and nutrition is steady and scheduled and I find recovery much better with this schedule. I thought I would nap more but I dont, when I worked shift work I would pass out often for 20 minutes after a wko from pure exhaustion.

Today was is normally a bike/run day for me but it was so nice this am I added a 1.2 mile swim with some of my fastest times this year. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365998388#

Bike was a 2 x 20 around .98 and another 20min at RPP.... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/366174541#

Run 3 mile brick and the speed is coming back finally!

Now I have to brick the dogs.... they never get skipped even after a Marathon or HIM they get walked!
  • Options
    my week off to a crazy start...did an oly on Sun ...rest Mon....still sore today so an ez bike in order for tonite...and med run for tomorrow....thur = ez something....5k test fri nite @ local race....plenty of biking and swimming in store for the long weekend....i think i still have plenty of fitness left from LP so i'm more concerned about keeping mentally fresh right now.....trying to get all the ows i can before the temps change next month.....next week hoping to get back on track and follow the plan....i have a 12 day intrernational trip coming mid sept so that will become a run focus block
  • Options
    Hey folks...figured i'd introduce myself by doing a little bitching here because you're probably the only people on the planet that would listen! I - CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME - hit my prescribed run paces the last few weeks! I am hoping it is because of fatigue from the bike mileage I am ramping and not something else like i'm all of a sudden getting "old"!. I've decided to not to the "big day" this weekend and swap it for next weekend and do a local HIM as my big day. I'm getting sick of riding alone and could use a race. Wahhhh!
  • Options
    Wednesday FTP bike is gonna get done on a spin bike at lunch instead of the trainer before work. The position isn't really the same but the trade off is that I am able to wake up slowly and help my kids get off to school. Really nice mental break mid week.
    Also, got some clarification on big training day. The swim is not to be a continuous hour swim. The bike is 4hrs, not 3.5. Given that I think that I will be driving to the pool and making that t1 and 2 for Saturday morning.
  • Options
    Solid FTP bike session today. happy to have my legs back as Sunday's ride was a pretty rough one and even running yesterday was hard. but today was a good day, so I am pretty psyched.
  • Options
    @Greg wholly wattage numbers batman .... you must be a big dood?

Got my run in today 9.25miles in 1:11 without quad/hip issues shutting me down again ...... looks like the stretching I have been doing is working...... was going to do some intervals at the track but it was under construction.
  • Options

Posted By tim cronk on 28 Aug 2013 12:51 PM

@Greg wholly wattage numbers batman .... you must be a big dood?

Got my run in today 9.25miles in 1:11 without quad/hip issues shutting me down again ...... looks like the stretching I have been doing is working...... was going to do some intervals at the track but it was under construction.
    haha.  yeah, I'm weighing in at about 225 right now so those FTP numbers aren't that impressive, relatively speaking.  nice run on your part.  "stretching"...that's an interesting idea.  I might try that.
  • Options
    120min run with 15z2(5) and 2x15z3(5). Run went fien but I over ran my zones. I had it in my head that they were both 15sec faster per mi then they really are. This is my 3rd week of 2hr thursday run and I've gone a little farther each week.
    Still, I am a full minute per mi slower than I was during marathon prep. I guess I would be pretty happy if I was only a minute per mi slower on race day though.
  • Options
    hey all - busy week at work...

Monday swim was a bit rough - Sunday ride was done late afternoon and not used to back to back 3+ hour rides. Bagged the Monday uphill run

Tuesday run was hot and swam in the evening. 50 sprint paces held around 38 with a few 36s thrown in. 300s held t-pace less 3 and then t pace.

Wednesday FTP bike is still a problem -- hot as heck in the basement and this week was 8,10,12 at .95. I think FTP has dropped post Bike focus plan. Got a fit adjustment yesterday that feels more comfy -- position was originally geared for sprints and Oly (though I have done 2 HIM in it). Flipped the stem, widened the bars a tad and feels better. Will find out for sure come Saturday.

Thursday - 4am alarm wasn't happening so 90' run tonight on an indoor track - mental toughness =)

Big Day on Saturday has me nervous - first 4 hour ride and last big day went poorly. Will hydrate better after swim and stay on the fluids early on the bike. Turning down the watts a bit as well.
  • Options
    @Greg... yeah I'm not a fan of stretching... never did me any good ... but I do have a use for one stretch to relieve my tight quad/hip lately

@Jimmy ... nice work on that run... I dont think I ever over achieve on those Z2 - Z3 runs... they are usually 10-20 seconds less!

@Jeff ... cant imagine 90 min on indoor track ... How long is it? I'd rather a TM if its less than 1/4 mile.

Yesterday got in a 1:10 bike with 18min v02 work done as 90 sec hill repeats and a short 3 mile brick... Today swim only 2.2 miles OWS continuous in an hour! Off the legs resting up for the weekend.
  • Options

It has indeed been a busy week which has cause some workouts to be missed unfortunately. Tues night into Wed only yielded about 2 hrs of sleep.  (I have broiler chicken houses and was up prepping for the catch crews to come and pick them up)  And to top that off, I was getting sore throat thanks to my little girl's 3k class and generous in sharing their germs with everyone.  I had planned on my Wed FTP ride but could not muster the energy to do so. Chose sleep instead.  Planned the long run as normal yesterday but that got thrown out the window due to some unexpected work at the farm and by the time I was done, it was mid day and smoking hot in SC.  I chose to hydrate and rest.  So I finally go my long run in this morning.  Very humid but nothing unusual. Had a little trouble keeping the HR down later in the run but not exceeding my zone by more that 1 or 2 beats.  Overall a good run and I don't feel that bad even though I have a slight cold.  Still planning on the big tri day on Sat if all goes as planned.

• Options
    ok - big training day tomorrow. Here is my plan. Comments welcome.
    Wake up 6am
    3cups apple sauce scoop of protein powder.
    Sip on bottle of perform on my way to the pool. If I prepare everything the night before I could be in the water at 630. If I hit that and it takes me 15min to transition each time I should be done by 1pm.
    Swim set - warm up and drills for first 20min leaving the last 40min as a steady continuous swim. Swim in tri shorts. T1 in locker room. Eat power bar while putting jersey on.
    Bike - 30min @ 70% power then the rest between 70 and 75%. Over the 4hr bike, I will drink 5x24oz perform. 1/2 power bar per 30min for the first 2 hrs. switch to gel every 30min for remainder.
    T2 at car. gonna just run out and backs with my perform set up at my car for the hour. At start of run will try and eat a bananna per core diet's fueling plan. Will walk 30 steps at my car / aid station to drink. We will see how it goes. LRP+30 for first 30min. Will pick it up after that. Sunday is listed as a rest day so I might as well lay a good deal out on saturday.
    It will feel like a really slow half ironman with a shortened run. Good luck all!
  • Options
    @Jimmy the only thing I would do different is skip your warm up/ drills and just swim..... Pretty sure there is NO warm up swim at IMFL at least I didnt see one 2 years ago ....interested to see how you make out.

• Options
    @Tim, 1/8 mile track so wound up with 80 laps. The TM is even mentally harder for me so I'll do the track.

Good luck to us all tomorrow doing the Big Day.

After such a crap ride last time during the Big Day, I am planning to do what is likely my IM IF of .68 (188 lbs and 230 FTP = 6:30'ish bike I am thinking). I am definitely going to down a bottle of Infinit between swim and run and bring a clif bar for the bike -- trying to get it calories early.

Will report back tomorrow if not asleep on couch image
  • Options
    tim - yeah. i am with you. asked coach p specifically about that and he said to do the sets. to swim 30min straight max. So of course I had to go with 40...
    given that I have NEVER just swam along for a full hour I might just do it to prove to myself that I can. I know that we have 2 RR's but really, what is the downside?
  • Options
    My big day .... 1.15 OWS , 100 mile bike , 3 mile run..... Now were gonna brick the dogs!

Hope everybody's big day went well! Post em up , get motivated , good discussions and helps to hold you accountable to yourself!
  • Options
    hmmm. well that didn't go as planned. Got the car loaded lats night. Alarm at 5:45. Had to be home by 1pm for the fam.
    Breakfast and drove to the pool. 1hr swim. Indoor pool was way too warm for comfort but got it done. Ate way too close to the swim but no big problems.
    Got changed and went to my car to get the bike going. Flat front tire. First in I don't know how long. No problem. Changing flats is part of the sport might as well practice. I had a spare tube, a patch kit and 2 co2's. Changed tube and set out. About 2mi out Flat #2. Figured that I must have missed something in the tyre so I took it completely off and checked it carefully. Nothing. Out of tubes so I found the hole and patched it. Now I am in trouble though b/c I am on my last co2. Filled it up. Flat #3.
    Now I am stuck. Even if I had more CO2 I am clearly missing something in the tyre.
    So I start the long walk with the bike back to the car. Drove home pretty well ready to just write off the day but instead when I got home I pulled the wheel off the road bike and put it on and got a good 60mi in before I was out of time.
    Did what I could.
  • Options
    Well I got most all of my big day complete. I got started a little late in the morning because I had to wait on my wife to get home from her 24hr shift. Ate 3 cups of applesauce at 7am and gel with water about a hour later. Started my open water swim around 10am and knocked that out. I'm just not a great swimmer but I got it done. Hopefully as time goes on and maybe a swim coach for next year I will improve. I had to drive just down the road a bit to start my bike so that I can stop by and get more fluids for the 2nd loop. I took another gel with water before getting on the bike. It was 11am. Still overcast and and humid but not to terribly hot....yet. I had 5 24oz bottles of perform. 3 on the bike with me and I would refill at the 2hr mark when I came back by. I also had 2 cliff bars halved with me. I planned on 1 bottle per hour but at 2 hr mark, I realized I was already behind. About 2.5 hrs in, I stopped again and took a gel. Check the temp from my weather station, 88. Heat Index 98. Being on the bike fooled me as to how hot it was. I pressed on and down 2 bottles over the next hour and then finished the final bottle on the way in. I knew there was no way I was gonna be able to do a hour run. I felt ok but I couldn't kept my heart down in the proper zones so I cut it short and only did 30'. Valuable lesson learned on hydration and heat. I did pee once around the 2 hr mark but realized after I got back home I had not gone since being home. Weighed and I lost about 6lbs.

@Tim- Great Job!

@Jimmy- It just wasn't your day was it.  Lets get all those sorts of days out the way before the real deal!

• Options
    As I mentioned last Big Day went poorly (was the first week moving into the IM plan). Totally bonked on the bike and thought it had to do with the swim -- getting behind on calories and fluids without realizing.

Swim - T-Storms got me a late start and early finish but got done all but the last 100 sprint on plan - so ~ 1700 yds - hit all my paces.

T-1 - Drove home and had to do a few minor tweaks to bike (just added X-lab rear carrier). Downed 1 bottle of my Inifinit Run formula (240 Cal) and about 12 Oz water.

Bike - Just had a fit done and am much more comfortable. Old fit was perfect for Sprint and maybe Olympic but not for IM. Dummy me has stayed with that for 5+ years and 2 HIM. Much more comfy now. T-Stroms plagued me the whole ride - namely from 1:30 until the finish. The benefit was only 72F and stayed plenty cool. Just over 1100 cal via Infinit and a clif bar (taken 1/3 around every hour from 1:30 on). Guessing around 90 oz Water.  Finished the bike feeling decent - some neck pain but this was my 3rd or 4th 4 hour bike - EVER. Never had spent that much time in the bars.

T-2 - Decided I had been wet enough so changed and drove the the gym - yes Tim, more laps on the indoor track!

Run - My stomach has always taken time to get "right" getting off the bike. I am seriously considering taking the protein out of my Infinit mix. Started a bit faster than EZ and then finally got right about mile 3. Stomach was revolting trying to take in Infinit Run mix so stopped and stayed with just water each mile = better but not great. Cut it at 45 minutes but ran the last mile sub MP and felt strong.

Lessons learned -- as a big dude that sweats a ton cannot forget to really slam the fluids post swim and get started on the calories as well. Overcast and rain, while a pain, is nice to keep you cool.

Lastly, with more focus on using HR on the run, I am thinking Bike Avg HR +10 (145) is magic. Going +15 and I start to feel it. Bad news is +10 won't quite get me to EZ pace after 4-5 miles.
  • Options
    My EN training partner could not do the big tri day Saturday, so we did it on Sunday. Instead on Saturday, I did an easy 40 miles ride on Saturday. On Sunday, the only pool open in central GA didn't open until 10 and we got started about 30 minutes later. I learned that I really like morning swims. No problem completing the workout in an hour. If I can get up, I may start doing my swims in the morning. Going to have to have something to take the taste out of my mouth in T1. Not sure if a drink would be best or some sort of gel or candy.

Transitioned to my buddy's house for the ride. Rode seventy-four miles in five hours. I know it was long but I messed up the calculations on the distance. We normally ride 50 miles of this route in 2 hr 45 min so I thought we should be able to do seventy miles in four hours. I just forgot that we wouldn't be doing the same pace. When I realized the mistake, it was shorter to continue than to turn around. Drank 7.5 bottles during the ride. Combination of GU Roctane and Power Aide Zero. My order for the GU won't be in until tomorrow. Despite the extra time, I felt real good getting off the bike. Tired but not drained.

We did a 2.5 mile loop 2x which include some minor hills. We split the difference in our zone 1 paces and ran between 11:30 and 12:00. I was beat when the run was over. I really need to figure out the nutrition on the run. My stomach was continually growling. No gastro problems, just hunger. Part of my problem is the humidity which causes me to drink more during the run. Considering some sort backpack hydration system as a supplement for the run. I am not too concerned about the added weight but I need something more than just one water bottle.