Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Emily Brinkley Official Coach Thread

edited October 23, 2017 4:26PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Hi Coach P - I'm in week 16 of the HIM training with a pretty big bike weekend coming up. We have a family mountain trip scheduled leaving me little room to do my long rides. Can you help me sort out my training schedule so I get the key workouts in?

- I should be able to get away and do a long run. However, Thursday this week is a 5k test for me.

-Assuming we get back Sunday night, I have a tentative plan to ride the course early Monday morning and take advantage of the holiday.

- Preschool starts next Tuesday which will allow me to add in an outdoor ride during the week if need be.

Thanks for all your help. EB

Comments

• Options
    EB -

Hope this helps...

Thursday drop run test, do the Sunday ABP ride (you can shorten to 75' if required).
    Friday swim or off / travel...
    Saturday is long run.
    Sunday off..
    Monday is Sat ride...
    Tuesday is light day (Swim only?)..then back at it!

Yay, preschool!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Hey Coach P - Need to confirm weekly schedule. I had my last 70.3 on Sept 29th. Picked up my training last Monday before catching the flu. I'm finally back to myself today.

I've got a 13.1 on November 16th. I'm on the run focused program until the OS starts. My husband and I leave on Friday for a little R&R trip to Oregon so I probably will have a few more off days this weekend... That all being said, should I focus on getting in my run miles this week? Long, tempo, speed work? Or focus on getting a long run, tempo and 60 min bike? Or something totally different? After a year on the team, I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of adjusting my schedule. But I feel better checking with you first. : )

Thanks - EB
  • Options
    EB, love to hear from you and NEVER STOP ASKING. image I think that you should plan on consistency first this week...no point in hitting metrics right away (after a recent HIM and subsequent illness)...let's plan a "real" start after you get back...so shoot for 3-4 x 45 minute runs nothing too crazy. Maybe a bit of stretching / core?!?
  • Options
    P - Down and out again this week with strep throat. Preschool petri dish strikes again. The family and I are back to feeling healthy, but I am a little lost on what to focus on next. I've got a 13.1 next Saturday. I was planning to rest tomorrow, 90 min run Sat, and Bike Sunday (I lead a local ride that fits in well with my long weekend rides. Plus, my husband comes along and there is beer at the end.) Am I on the right track or do you have another suggestion with where I should focus this upcoming week? Thanks! EB
  • Options
    goodness! you are in some kind of bermuda triangle of health! image I think your weekend plan is fine, just note your HR vs your perceived effort. If your body is still "in overdrive" as you recover, then keep the intensity down. Next week is a regular week (are you getting enough, consistent sleep?), then no long run on Thursday (repeat Tuesday workouts). Friday off or swim only, then Sat Race and Sunday is the long ride again...then Monday off if you need to recover again OR swim only if you are feeling better. Please keep me posted!
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan! I keep thinking I never took enough recovery time after my Sept 29th race? On top of a crazy travel schedule in Oct, and trying to keep my miles in, I've just set myself up for getting sick. My race next Saturday is looking more and more like a good long run, and not so much a 'race'. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
  • Options
    Great news - Just got back from my 90 min run and felt great. I was still able to hit all of my paces for the first 6.1, all negative splits. For the remainder of the run I focused on my form and comfortably staying in a z2. Boom. My favorite part was when I was about to head in (ended up back at my house at 75 min.) There just happen to be another women running and I decided to hang with her and ran right passed my house, getting me to the full 90 min, just over 10 miles. She was in the right place and the right time! Looking forward to getting back at it next week. Thanks for all your help!
  • Options
    @Emily, PERFECT!!!! Way to be smart!
  • Options
    Hi P - Happy New Year's Eve!

Just got through 35 min of the Nov os wk10 workout and had to bag it due to fatigue. I think I overdid myself this past weekend, and need more of a recovery than I thought. On top of that, I decided to visit my local Master's swim group yesterday and was so disappointed in how I have lost my swim. I went there with the mind set to have a recovery swim, and ended up in the lane with the 1:40 per 100 group -- my mistake. It just sucked to hear everyone keep asking me if I was "ok." Sorry to vent. Anyway, I'm guessing I should move to the recovery week for the rest of this week and pick up week 11 next Monday? Can I find that in the wiki? The good news is I'm getting a massage this afternoon. That will help. : )
  • Options
    @Emily, you aren't supposed to be fast swimming right now. Tell them to get on a bike so you can ask them what's wrong. image The OS isn't about being a rock star all the time, it's about rocking when it matters...which is in season...and on the run. The swim is just decoration. image

That said, yes to recover...you should be good by this weekend, so pick up the rest of WK 10 then...cool?
  • Options
    Thanks P - I think I needed a day to be a cry baby, and then get back to work. Your pep talk helped a lot!

I could feel it was smart that I took Tues and Wed off last week. Did the workout for Thurs just fine, off Friday, and got 60 min on the trainer in on Saturday before I started to have back issues. Run went great on Sunday. I realized after my bike on Saturday that it might be my fit from changing my crank set to a 165 w/power. We never went back and checked the difference it would make in the Retul system. I've got an appointment tomorrow for a redo which hopefully will straighten me out.

Today I used my road bike and did last Tuesday's 3X14'. I ended up using the virtual power, and was able to hit all my HR numbers. Mentally, I wanted to show myself I could do that workout. Are you ok with me continuing with week 11?

Good luck with the membership drive! Best, EB
  • Options
    Good call on the fit!!!! And nice to see the virtual power come around....onwards with week 11!!!
  • Options
    Just had an incredible bike test today (FTP 181 to 188 since Christmas)... only to follow it up with a minor accident with a pair of scissors while cooking dinner that ended with two stitches in the middle of my palm. The bad news is they are there for 10 days and I have my BIG 6 hour day on Saturday. (1 hour swim, 4 hour bike, 1 hour run)

Dr said to keep it dry for 2 days, so hopefully I'll be back swimming by Friday. I'm a little concerned about the bike? I should be fine, and maybe it can be a way to get me used to aero position again...

I'm missing my swim for sure tomorrow, 5k testing on Thursday, and running Friday. How should I play around with my schedule this week? Worst case scenario, maybe add in a long run on Saturday?
  • Options
    @Emily your call on the swim..only if it feels right...otherwise skip it. I would plan on the aero riding...just keep relaxed and don't chase a number. We are looking for a long day to test your nutrition and positional fitness...so just keep the pedals turning and stay safe.

Ps - tell me that dinner was yummy!!!!!
  • Options
    @emilybrinkley - Time to get you back on the forums!!!!

So good to talk with you…and so pumped for you!  So first, things first, let’s keep the recovery up right now 

3/6 = Light Stuff Part Uno

• 3 x Bike + PT: EZ trainer spin to warm up for 10 minutes, then your PT stuff.
    • 3 x Aqua "running" for 20' (I just want you in there moving around, it's not fitness it's mobility).
    3/13 = Light Stuff Part Deux
    • Same as above, but extend bike warm up to 20' and Aqua Running to 30'

3/20 = Steady Riding 

• 3 x 40' Rides in Zone One, no flash. Followed by Self PT
    • 3 x Walk a Loop of Booty Tour, done as 4' walk, 1' Jog.

3/27 = Steady Riding 

• 3 x 60' Rides in Zone Two, no flash. Followed by Self PT
    • 3 x Walk a Loop of Booty Tour, done as 4' walk, 2' Jog.

How to bridge the final weeks to we'll see!!!

• Options
    @Emily Brinkley

Great to talk with you today! I'm so excited for you getting back to running… but discretion remains the better part of valor. And you're season, for that matter!

Having going to the plans, I think your best bet is to check out the Bike Focus Plan. This gives you four sessions a week, to during the week that you can do on Trainer Road.  Note the workouts aren’t created there, but you can follow the main set over there pretty easily.

My modifications for you:

- Start with the Intermediate plan. 

- Mondays ARE OFF for you, do your yoga and strength. 

- Saturdays you can take the FTP plan and ride longer…just get the work in….a nice 60-70 mile ride would be great. Warm up…do some harder focused parts to get the IF up…and then try to hold on. Every week you should be a little bit stronger!

- Sundays are another bike day…I say this is your MTB day. Get out and explore…and do a few hard 30" efforts…mission accomplished!

I hope this helps, and let’s check back in after six weeks!

~ Coach P

• Options
    10-4!! I'll let you know... 
  • Options
    @Emily Brinkley - Great! And when you can, I'd love to see another video of you running. From the side.
  • Options
    @Emily Brinkley - Great to catch up with you yesterday! Thanks for your patience with regards to an you without stressing any part of your runs so much that it sets you back. No single race is more important than your total being.

You have about six weeks until the half marathon, with that last weekend really being an easy run for taper. So that makes four good weeks: 
    • 7/31 (22 miles) - long run of 8
    • 8/7 - (24 miles) - long run of 9
    • 8/14 - (24 miles) - long run of 10
    • 8/21 - (13 miles) - Taper Week 1
    • 8/28 - (6 miles + Race) - Taper Week 2
    Outside of those long runs, everything else can be short in the 3 to 4 mile range. I also encourage you to take some hikes just to spend time outside on your feet. Do your best to keep those hikes away from the longer runs, we don't want you to get too tired too quickly!

Continue biking with your friends as you see fit, otherwise I think you should be all set.

Let me know if you need more help!
  • Options
    Looks good. 4.5 today felt like old times. 

For 8/31, should I do a race rehearsal 13 or just weekly cumulative?

thanks P you're the best!
  • Options
     Just cumulative 13 miles. That's taper time and we don't have a lot to mess with. I would make your longest run that week 6 miles, and find the other 7 miles in a few short runs. This means more cycling and or cross training. 
  • Options

@Emily Brinkley

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes (Intermediate)

I completed a century with over 8k elevation gain Oct 1st, and ran 17 miles Oct 7. Base is solid but need to start back with more consistency. 

Your Races (Running Race)

• 2/24/2018 PHX marathon

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/23/2017 
    • 10/30/2018 load the Beginner Bike Run Focused OutSeason® to end on 2/4/2018
    • EXIT EARLY
    • 01/08/2018 load the Balanced Half Marathon Plan to end on 2/24/2018
    • On 2/25/2018 Load the Post Ironman Plan to end on 03/24/2018.

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/ul9nhcvuj0

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    I'm all in for this game plan! I am also signed up for Choo 70.3 which as long as I can keep myself healthy, I think would do well racing after my build in Mallorca. Thanks, P  -- EB
  • Options
    Woot woot!!!!!!!
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 03/12/2020 (Training Camp) Blue Ridge Parkway Camp
    • 03/14/2020 (Gravel) Croatan Buck 50 (150 mile ride)
    • 03/28/2020 (MTB) Austin Rattler
    • Leadville 100MTB August 15, 2020

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•  Last updated by Coach on  November 19, 2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the    OutSeason for Cyclists Plan, 14wks to end on  2/16/2020

**Transition Early**

• On 1/20/2020  Load the    MTB Plan, Ultra Distance (12 Weeks) to end on  3/29/2020
    • On 3/30/2020  Load the    Rest Week  to end on  4/5/2020
    • On 4/6/2020  Load the    Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on  6/14/2020

**Transition Early**

• On 5/11/2020  Load the    MTB Plan, Ultra Distance (12 Weeks) to end on  8/16/2020
    • On 8/17/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  9/13/2020

Your Notes

All the off-road and Training Camp adventures!Just entering into OS

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi (emoji wave)

Updated Race Dates:

August 30 - BWR Asheville (144 miles, 12k elevation)

Sept 12 - Dirty Kanza (100 miles)

October 17 - BWR Utah (137 miles, 5k elevation)

November 8 - BWR San Diego (138 miles, 12k elevation)

I've loaded the Everesting plan in Final Surge with my attempt for the full monty to be on Saturday, August 15th (when Leadville was supposed to happen). I haven't decided if I will attempt to do this on Zwift of up in the mountains somewhere. I'm mostly concerned about paying attention on the descents (lol) if I do it outdoors.

I've also planned to attempt the half Everest on June 20th up in the mountains. https://www.strava.com/activities/3456650917

My plan this weekend is to accumulate 15k in climbing in 48 hours (weather pending), recover on Monday, and then begin to dial back in to the plan by Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm still doing 2x weights/core/yoga work during the week and trying to maintain 55-56 kg.

After climbing thunder ridge last week, I'm fairly confident in my climbing legs coming back. Now to train them to do that for 5+ hours again.

• Options

@Emily Brinkley how did your weekend go? I know you had some administrative issues, so I'm curious to know how you felt on the back to back days. I am confident that your climbing legs will come around as well, and your fall certainly is busy. We are going to have to figure out a good Peak/recovery protocoL to follow in the Fall.

Do you look at those races that you have listed, is there a priority of order in terms of performance? Or concern? Also of all those rides, which one are you concerned about the most in terms of fitness? I know some of those may mean an eight or 10 hour days In the saddle so I assume we'll have to build that in somewhere? What are you thinking?

~ Coach P

• Options

Howdy -- Weekend didn't go as planned. Saturday was a GREAT ride, but summer temps arrived and I forgot to drink. Needless to say, I put myself in a bit of a hole on Sunday so when my riding buddy requested a Mitchell ride on Monday, I was all for it. I was packed and ready to go Monday morning, went to check air pressure and my back tire was completely flat. I somehow cut the tire on Saturday -- probably due to debris in the road from the storms.

Samantha and I are going to try again this weekend with some volume + climbing.

As for my season races, no, I do not have priority because I don't even believe they will happen. If you forced me to pick one, I'd say my Everesting attempt is priority only because that is in my control. If the other races happen, I will reassess my fitness goals or request to ride the shorter distance. I'm in no rush to trash myself for 144 miles and 12k climbing unless I get a year of free tacos and sangria.

• Options

@Emily Brinkley - sorry to hear about all those big challenges. That's a real pain, especially when you have plans in place. Might want to make a mental note to check all that stuff before a big ride days once you put the kids to bed. That at least gives you a couple hours of extra notice to fix stuff or make adjustments as needed. Nothing worse than a bus another door for a ride and realizing all bets are off.

Overall I think you're doing great. While you are flowing a little differently through the week than I planned anticipated, overall the numbers are really strong. These bigger weekend sessions are just so critical to building comfort with you climbing. We will need some form of a longer ride in the saddle, which could very well be this mid June opportunity at a half Everest. I am talking 6 to 8 hours in the saddle...ideally not too hilly if you can avoid most of that unless you have to.

Do you have a chance for that or do you think the 50% Everest is good?

AlSo thanks for your candor with the nutrition. We have officially entered that time of the year were you cannot fake the funk with hydration and calories. Especially with the work that you're trying to do it back to back days. Messing up a ride on Friday automatically makes Saturday rides potential drop by like 25%. Given your ambitious goals in the Endurance space, we can't afford to compromise these stacked workouts repeatedly. Now that you've learned your lesson, you can make the requisite changes.

I think with the June 20 ride looming you'll want to get in 2 x longer weekend rides as:

• Weekend of 6/7 As 5h / 3h
    • Weekend of 13/14 6h / 2h

Necessarily in that order, but you get the idea. We can create a step change there for your endurance so that when you get to June 20 and you're going to spend eight hours in the saddle you are pretty darn ready for it. Let me know what you think.

~ Coach P

• Options

Checking in after a weekend of 5.5/2.5 with fairly strong efforts at the end of both. I felt GREAT. My nutrition and hydration was spot on. I'm going to try and get up to the mountains this weekend for one last big push in the saddle. Would 5hrs/3hrs work you think? I might can go up and recon the hill... but would need to connect with Jay on that.

Here is my plan for Everesting: I'll also put this in a race plan forum.

Based on the calculator with the Strava segment, you'll see I have the half everesting calculation. My plan is to complete a 1/2 attempt and hope not to stop. I will do what I can with how I'm feeling.

Thursday: I'll drive to Cashiers with Jay and the boys to get everything ready. I'm planning to take both of my road bikes with me as well as a different set of wheels.

Friday: Begin my set up as if I'm getting ready for an Ironman. The hill is about a 45 min drive from our place. I'll pack my cooler, bottles, change of clothes, SAG bucket and then legs up.

Saturday: Leave the house by 4:00 am for the hill. The climbs will begin at 5:00am.

I race really well when I know what IF goal I'm looking at. I'm thinking somewhere around .71 for the half which would give me about 277 TSS. I'll have to do 6.5 laps to reach my 1/2 goal. Here is my attempt to break down the day

Laps 1&2: Two water bottles with Skratch. Two homemade Rice Cakes.

Rest Stop 1: (4,450 ft) Set timer for 10 minutes. Switch out bottles and food. Change kit/socks if needed. Bathroom Break.

Laps 2&3: Two more water bottles with Skratch. Two more rice cakes but have Untapped maple syrup and tums if stomach isn't happy.

Rest Stop 2: (8,900 ft) Set timer for 10 minutes. Change clothes if needed. Eat whatever. Put music in.

Laps 4&5: I'm guessing this is when things are gonna get hard and if I didn't pace myself properly in the first two, I'll be hurting badly. I'll have something with caffeine and start with untapped/blocks/gels. Goal will still be to stay on top of my drinking if I can.

Rest Stop 3: (13,350 ft) Set timer for 10 minutes, change if needed but eat what I can and try not to sit down (bc I probably won't get back up.)

Laps 6/7: grind. maybe eat and drink.

DONE: 17,800 ft

I'm also working on my "what to bring" sheet that i'll put in my next forum post.