Home General Training Discussions
Options

Bike Warm Up

The bike portions of the OS plans specify the main sets but do not mention any warm up or cool down time.  I am currently taking 15 minutes to warm up (easy pedalling and then 3x30(30") followed by 3x1(1')) before I hit the main set.

Should this warm up time be included in the time allotted for the bike ride per the plan, or in addition to?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Rich will tell you he is horrible (or just lazy) at math. The workouts are designed with the main set (MS) in mind. If the MS comes to 43 minutes and the workout is for an hour, then you swag 10-15 minutes of warm up and some cool down. Workouts never exactly equal the time alloted and if you try and add w/u, MS, and then c/d you will go crazy. It's all an estimate with the only important goal being the MS.

tom
  • Options
    Posted By Al Olsen on 17 Nov 2009 11:42 PM

The bike portions of the OS plans specify the main sets but do not mention any warm up or cool down time.  I am currently taking 15 minutes to warm up (easy pedalling and then 3x30(30") followed by 3x1(1')) before I hit the main set.

Should this warm up time be included in the time allotted for the bike ride per the plan, or in addition to?

Thanks.

What Tom said. And your w/u is exactly what I do, so I think it's perfect. image 

• Options

Personally, I add a few round of one legged drills with focus on bottom and back part of the stroke.

• Options
    Keep in mind that a good warm up is really essential for getting the most out of the hard EN workouts. Need to get the blood flowing and the muscles nice and warm for the best result. Dave
  • Options
    Ditto. The warmup is essential for a quality workout. Getting my heart rate up in the z3/4 range during warmup a few times helps to make it a quality workout later. The 15 mins before the MS helps me to get fired up for the work ahead.
  • Options

similar warm up on this front. always 5' min easy z1 and then I do 3x1 min Z5+ (1 min recovery). after those I spin for however long I need to flush the legs. On a good day, good to go after a 10 min warm up. Legs feeling it= 15 min to get going. I find the bigger efforts on the 1 min work better for me to kind of wake up and get my head in the game. strictly z4 has me feeling pretty sluggish into that first interval. not for everyone, but works like a champ for me. image

• Options
    We used to have warm ups, but would put 10' and then some folks would say "but I need 20!" so you put 20 and other folks say "I don't have time for a 65' bike workout, what should I do??" image So now we just leave it to you. Are you a fast starter? A diesel engine? Do what you have to do to get ready. FWIW, it's not intuitive...if you just ride you start to find that "sweet spot" when you are ready. On the bike for me it's like 15', but I can get away with 10 if necessary. Run I am almost ready. Heck, I am ready right now. Who's in?
  • Options

EN NorCal warm-up is:  GO!      

Welcome to my world.  Thanks, Tom! 

• Options
    When on the trainer I tend to warm up for about 4 minutes, do one 30 second bump up, get convinced that I am weak and tired and will never get through it and then just say what the hell and start the first interval. Seems to work.