Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

Week 14

Tuesday - lumped the monday and tuesday runs together into one big party. 1:45 total time with 3x1mi @ z4. Hit the Z4 targets but did some walking between them. Man, cranking out a few hard miles shure makes the rest of the workout tough.

All good though. Just happy to have dodged the rain that seems to have settled over south texas this week.

Now off to the pool. Pool done. Not setting any speed records today but I got the sessions in.

Comments

• Options
    @Jimmy - that is a big run. Hoping you are fresh for Thursday...

Skipped the Monday swim as I got in a swim with some of my daughter's team on Sunday afternoon - not much distance but several 25 and 50 sprints. Did a run at lunch as I missed the Saturday run and felt I needed to do something before the intervals today. Ran it like the Saturday run - EZ out and MP back - all good.

Tuesday - AM swim was longest ever, I think 3600 yds. Was able to hit the paces and maybe went T +4 instead of T +3 on the 500. Shoulders were worked over fairly well. PM interval run, 3x1 all OK. Feeling stronger (steady HR) and better able to manage T pace which is 10" faster post test. That said, my 5k pace is 45" slower than in 2010-2012 timeframe.  Also finding my HR is recovering more quickly - aided by slightly cooler temps too...

Already looking forward to the shorter Sunday ride :-)
  • Options
    @Jimmy 3 x1 on 1:45 run ouch!

@ JU looks like it time for you to bump up those long swims.... nevermind just looked forward in the plan and they are a coming!

Moved my longbike/longrun from sat/sun to mon/tues this week. Yesterday 5hr ride @ .76 with a 5 mile brick run... Today 19 miles run , split 13 in the AM and 6 for the PM
  • Options
    It's amazing what a little less heat and humidity can do for your run. It has kicked my butt for the last 2 weeks and I'm finally glad to see a little break because it was about to break me.

Got my Monday swim in but no run because I was having to play Mr. Mom and today, no swim because of Mr. Mom again but I got a nice run in this evening. Going to add a swim in the AM and then bike in the afternoon.
  • Options
    froze my arse off this morning on the FTP ride. about 40 degrees and i was not dressed for it. couldn't muster more than .83 on the first one as the legs were just not responding, but rallied to barely a .95 on the second one.

I'll be doing the Chesapeakeman aquabike this weekend as my one-week-early early RR. should be fun. I know there will be a couple of ENers there that I can cheer on the run as I sit on my cooler and 'hydrate'.
  • Options
    @Jamie.... yep its nice to hit those paces and not have to work so hard for it in the cooler temps

@Greg... brilliant move for an Aquabike RR.... Paul Hough does those with the Great Floridian and then runs 6 miles to complete the RR.... John Kitchen and Nate Parady I believe are the ENers doing the full.

Swim only day today for me.... Have to admit that coming back into the pool after a summer of OWS in the lake with a wetsuit I am much slower on my intervals than I was this spring..... 3500yds total.... 1 x 500 , 5 x 200 (60sec) , 10 x 100 (30sec) , 2 x 500 one with PB and the other with fins....
  • Options
    bike ftp intervals done. had planned to do them right out of bed but just wasnt up for it so I got em done at lunch.
  • Options

T'storms and power out = 3-4 hours sleep. Not ideal before LR. Only got in 1 hour this morning and debating doing any more at lunch (business dinner this evening). While only 68 this morning the DP was 66 = HUMID. Hit my paces but there was NO chance I could have hit the MP stuff (or even EZ pace) for the 2nd set.  HR for most of the MP was just about (2-3 BPM lower) than my LTHR (as best as I can tell).

Hoping this is more to do with accumulated fatigue and the less than ideal LR conditions for a larger unit like myself. Might do the 2nd half of today's run tomorrow morning and the swim at night?!?

@Tim - I have been following the plan with respect to swims. Haven't been cutting them short. They generally aren't more than 3500 Yds for us Intermediate folks. This is where i wish we could piecemeal the plans (Adv Swim, Int Bike/Run) as the swim is my best event but far from stellar.

• Options

Had a tough time witht he 135 min run but got it done. I swear the z2 intervals felt like z4 from tuesday! Got rained on for the last hour. shoes got squishy. Got to work 30 min late.

But, we are in the thick of it right now and I am going to try and power through. I figure that once we are inside of 3 weeks, if I feel like crap i will rest. But till then, shut up legs.

Swim set box checked over lunch.

so i rolled in 30min late to work then took a 2hr lunch. If I had 1/2 the dedication towards work that I do towards training I would rule the world.

• Options
    The Brits sure like their parks....nice one right across the street from our B&B...got my 3x1 done tues am...felt really good...then went to play tourist.....lots of walking and managed a small climb up Arthur's seat to finish the day.....today was long run...120 min total w/55 min of z2....then had to walk a mi for pizza dinner....that was a tuff mile....fri tourist again up to Loch Ness and home sat....looking forward to riding and swimming again
  • Options

Posted By tim cronk on 18 Sep 2013 12:28 PM

@Greg... brilliant move for an Aquabike RR.... Paul Hough does those with the Great Floridian and then runs 6 miles to complete the RR.... John Kitchen and Nate Parady I believe are the ENers doing the full. 

Crap!  That means I've used up my one brilliant move for the year!  oh well.  Thanks, Tim.  One thing I like about doing Chesapeakeman is the bike course is flat, and there is nothing flat where I live.  So, i'll be able to see how I handle the aerobars for soooooooo looooooong.

I will definitely look out for the other guys.  I did IMLP with Nate in 2011, so we know each other.

Hopefully, i'll be recovered from todays long run enough to get down 4.5 cups of applesauce Saturday morning (I just watched the nutrition webcast).

Have a great weekend, guys.

• Options
    On the Applesauce B'fast (plan to try it before RR#1), what brand protein powder is "good"? Soy, Whey, Pea protein?
  • Options
    jeff - I always use whey. i dont like the taste of soy and have never tried pea.
  • Options
    @Greg .... Good skill on the on Chesapeake Aquabike this weekend!

@Jeff and Jimmy.... I dont do the applesauce b-fast thing. I'm vegan and dont use whey protein powder either. When I use protein powder(not on race day) its usually Garden of Life and its comprised of a variety of raw sprouted grains, beans, nuts, and seeds among other things. For my race day protein and fat I mix hemp seed , almond butter and coconut oil into my white rice..... I dont see any reason why you couldnt substitute the protein/fat of your choice into your applesauce.

Hit the pool this am for 4000yds done as 8 x 500....
  • Options
    @Jeff Unruh I saw your post on the board about todays swim.... How did it go?
  • Options
    Tim - completely agree. I would imagine that if I spent more time with soy or another source I would get used to it.

Today it was rainy here so I did 2:15 on the trainer. Longest trainer session that I have ever done. Pretty weak power #s. Was kinda demoralized but then had the chance to make up friday's swim set and felt great in the pool.
  • Options
    Greg?
    Did you destroy the aqua bike today or what? nice race!
  • Options
    hah. thanks guys. I just saw Tim's post saying he "hopes i ran to complete the RR"...dangit! now i feel guilty. if i knew you were watching i woulda ran!!! but truth is i was so badly sunburned and whipped from the wind and being in aero that long that i decided to sit in the shade and eat nachos instead.

it was a good ride, though. i need to look at the data, but my target was .71IF and i think i probably came in a little below that, so i kept it under control. nutrition was pretty good except i probably should have drank more, but it's hard getting that stuff down for 5+ hours.

By the way, another ENer doing IMFL and my Brutha From Anotha Motha, Mike Burke, also did the aquabike and had a very strong race coming in right behind me to have EN domination of the M40-44 podium. And HE went out and ran afterwards so he gets extra points (but no nachos).
  • Options
    @Greg a 5:05 bike split at .71 or below WOW that is impressive..... I'm kinda bummed you didnt run afterwards because that is where you would have learned whether or not you biked correctly (too hot too cold) remember you are NEVER going to feel good coming off a 5hr or 112mile ride NEVER.... An awesome day for you getting in a full swim and full bike in race conditions... IMO we all underestimate how much that swim takes out of the rest of our day! Really nice job out there you should crush IMFL!

Yesterday ..... I rode 113.2 miles in 5:30 , first 4hrs at IM pace .72-.73 , then 30 min at HIM pace .85-87 , finishing up the las hour with recovery starting at .60 and slowly building back up to .70 as I recovered.... Definitely burned all my matches and was cooked after those HIM intervals..... Good example of overbiking.... I had planned a 6 mile brick but cut it down to 3miles instead.... Want all my training rides to be harder than raceday!
  • Options
    ok, so the data is in.

my IF was .695 for the ride and my VI was 1.013. TSS was 245.1, whatever that means (?). not sure if you can see it, but here is the garmin file:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/379226224

so these seem to be 'good' numbers for an IM bike, but running after this just seemed like it was out of the question.

@tim, i think you are correct about the swim taking alot out of me as i have been neglecting 'long' swims in training. i will focus on this in the next month.

i'll also be looking at my nutrition in more detail.
  • Options

Posted By tim cronk on 20 Sep 2013 08:02 PM

@Jeff Unruh I saw your post on the board about todays swim.... How did it go?

Tim,

Thanks for asking!!

Went about as planned.  Haven't uploaded the data but most stayed around 6:48 (1:42 pace).  That felt fairly good.  I did drop 1 interval down to 6:40 (I think the 5th interval) and the 6th and 7th were a bit tougher.  My litmus test is going 4 strokes w/out breathing 2x per length and see how that feels (generally breather rt side every 2nd stroke).  I can definitely see the stroke count per 400 creep up after the 4th interval - not sure how to improve that - likely body position (legs dropping) and shoulders tightening.

Long story short, 1:45/100y is probably close to RR pace.  I am planning to swim it this week as discussed, solid 400 to start then EZ - holding form.  Do you swim them like you do a TT or HIM RR (i.e., as if it was a standalone race - giving 100%?).  My 1000TT is a sufferfest the last 200

• Options
    @Jeff U....Pacing while swimming is difficult cause we cant really monitor it as we go... Its more like monitoring RPE at each distance.... The paces do kinda take care of themselves.... I find my pace intervals with good rest and then can monitor that pace on each subsequent interval (if your dropping off pace maybe too fast ). If you were doing 400's at 1:42 pace you should go a little faster on your TT (after all its a test assuming you were not going all out.. and since you held them for all 7 x 400 that sounds likely). Thats why you see T-pace + 3 seconds or whatever in your swim wko's.... Look at it like your 5K test ( you do mile repeats @5K pace but you don't do 13.1 of them).... So when you do a swim test of 1000yds basically all out , dont expect to hold that pace for each of 7 400's..... I wouldnt worry about it too much just let the paces on the intervals take care of themselves while you make sure the RPE is up there... And for your 1000yd TT go all out just like you would on your vdot or FTP test. I think you'll also find the longer the distance the closer the pacing , IM swim may only be 2 seconds per 100yd slower than your HIM swim, but your 200yd repeats maybe 5 seconds per 100 slower than your 100yd repeats!

@Greg... That bike is a thing of beauty...Its Perfection, nice steady power, low VI , low TSS. IF .70 is on the low side of guidance indicating that you should be able to run very well off a bike like that..... Have faith and believe in your training that you can run after the bike.... Like I said you will NEVER feel good coming off the bike but you will be surprised that you CAN run! If anything (assuming your FTP is set correctly) I would say you are capable of a higher IF . The shorter the bike time the higher the IF you can ride and that file showed no signs of fading at all.... Nice work.... Plenty of time left to nail it down for IMFL....
  • Options
    hmmmm.
    A .695 bike and running seemed out of the question.

this is going to be hard isnt it.

3hr abp to try and make up for yesterday's trainer laziness. First cold front of the year to hit my part of the world had temps of 61 degrees. PR'd my 55mi bike loop by a couple of minutes. Then 7mi at a 9min pace off the bike.

My PM battery died so I had no data there and last week I lost my hrm so no data there either. But I am pretty sure that I biked and ran at HIM pace. In fact, with a mediocre swim in front of it and holding on for another 6mi on the run and it would have been a him pr.

no to go change the pm battery, clean the bike and take the kids to the playground.
  • Options
    @Tim,

Thanks for the comments on swim pacing.

Yes, my 1000TT is swum hard. 100 strong to start then settle in and dig deep the last 200 - sprinting the last 75-100. As mentioned a while back just broke 16:00 for the first time (15:52) - 1:35 pace.

What has made me a tad cautious is I have suffered (RPE not much below 1000 TT pace) trying to hold 1:38 (TT +3") on some of the longer intervals this last week.

Lastly, you are right that I was holding pace on a 30" recovery. Averaging 1:41 and ranging from 1:39 to 1:42.

------------

The 90' ABP ride was just what I needed. Cooler temps yet again (low 60's) and overcast left me hitting it harder. IF around .86 overall with the main ABP portion (post WU) around .9. Did a 2mi run off the bike at MP as I haven't done much running off the bike and will for 6 mi next weekend. Funny how HR starts so low that first mile even at a good pace...
  • Options
    Longrun today 21miles total .... split 14 in the AM done as 10 easy , 3 hard , 1 easy....... 7 miles PM negative split but elevation helped :-)...... looking forward to swim only tomorrow as we start WEEK 15....
  • Options
    That is a big run day for sure!
  • Options
    back in the saddle again....rode sun w/younger son on the trainers....he had me doing single leg drills for 14 min...ouch....then we did a bunch of z2 stuff....hit the pool yesterday....nice to be swimming but I miss the ows already.....
  • Options
    @JS welcome back... so the kid is cracking the whip huh? I so hear you about the missing OWS , been back in the pool myself as the temps are dropping ... But its been eye opening as well.... swimming ows in a wetsuit is just cheating compared to the pool...