Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

Week 15 - RR#1 this weekend!!

Sprints during this mornings swim were not exactly speedy -- dead arms.  Got through it OK!  Off to get in the HMP Intervals during lunch.  Gorgeous day here in Chicago! 

Comments

• Options
    got most of the way thru today's swim and then bonked hard! all of a sudden I was STARVING!!!! Couldnt keep going . Got out and went to the grocery store as quickly as I could. Didnt eat anything out of the ordinary today. Might just be the cume effect of the training.
    I dont want to be the guy who brings cal to the pool but I might just have to. Better than DNF on a workout!
  • Options
    In Chicago too Jeff (actually work in Frankfort-south suburb), and afternoon run was sooooo nice with this beautiful weather!!
  • Options
    @Jimmy .... always eat 100-200 calories before an hour workout no matter what! my pre-swim got to is a couple dates or a banana with a couple cups of coffee

Todays swim 3000yds.... 500wu , 20 x 100 alternating fast/slow w/lotsa rest , 500cd with fins , love the garmin 910xt http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380172245
    followed that up with a massage and lunch.........felt good to be off the legs
  • Options
    Ahhh - 64 degrees and no humidity to speak of. Did monday and tuesday's runs this morning. 1:45 total with 2x10z3 and 2x1mi z4. Felt just fine. Over ran the z4's because it just felt so much easier.

40% chance of rain this weekend in my neck of the woods. So I am doing what any self respecting EN'er would do - skipping work on thursday to do my RR. Really excited about this idea. My month is pretty much complete at work and I can take the day with no problem. It also lets me be there for daughter's soccer game on saturday and church on sunday which will fill up the SAU account nicely.
    So my new week will be:
    Wednesday - RR swim
    Thursday - RR
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - long run
    Sunday - ftp bike / swim
  • Options
    2x1mi @ Z4 went well this morning -- mid 40's -- Awesome.

@Tim :: Saw your note and grabbed half a sleeve of Shot Blocks before my swim (100 Cal). 400's were steady at 6:40-6:43 (1:40-1:41 pace). I was cheating a tad and going on the 7:30's (easier to keep track of pace) so taking a bit more recovery than I should have. Shoulders are feeling much better now after 3400 yds than they did 2 weeks ago.

@Jimmy :: I was looking at the same issue (raid Saturday) but looking better now. I posted in the micro thread and it seems you have just about nailed P's suggestion (Wed Swim RR, Thurs RR, Friday off). He had the FTP bike Saturday and LR Sunday but either would work I suppose (I would prefer bike/run myself).

@Steve :: Good to see others from the Chicago area. I work downtown so can sneak in runs along the lakefront at lunch every so often -- yesterday was awesome!

• Options
    @Jeff U ...I used to feel like I was cheating if I took too long a recovery between intervals... then I read some suggestions some coach wrote and one of them was to take longer breaks to ensure accumulating more time at the faster paces.... Made sense to me... I'm also with you based on the clock making it easier....

Today 90 min trainer ride with 2 x20 @ .95 and 1 x 25 @ .75...... 4 mile brick easy run with few strides....
  • Options
    @Tim - makes sense on the "recovery just long enough to swim harder/faster during sets".

For the record, 2x20's on the trainer is my definition of hell.
  • Options
    Did my RR swim today. 3800m is the loongest swim that I have ever done by about 1800M. In fact, my swim session tend to end up around 2400M so I didnt really know what to expect.
    A little muscle soreness and burning in the first 1k. A good deal of boredom from time to time. Patches where I felt good and tried to pick the pace up. But the amount of energy that it took to go meaningfully faster just didnt seem worth it.
    When it was over I was 1:17 for a 2:01 pace.
    Interestingly, that is the exact same pace I was swimming in my HIM race rehearsal last year at about this time.
    The rest of the RR will happen tomorrow morning.
    My plan is to ride a 2hr loop 3 times hitting a cooler in my driveway at the end of each lap to swap bottles. 3 bottles of perform per lap. gel or 1/2 powerbar per 30min. If I ever get down, I will remind myself that I am not at work!
  • Options
    @Jimmy that sounds like progress to me.... Good skill on that RR tomorrow...

@Jeff U.... yep 2 x 20 hell but as I get closer to raceday I allow myself .95 instead of 1.0 and its amazing how much "easier" .95 is LOL.....

Hit the pool this am for 3000yds... 500wu @ 8:01, then 40 x 50 alternating fast/slow done with fast 50's @ 40-41sec w/2-3 sec rest then a slow 50 @ 57-58sec w/25sec rest before the next fast 50......cool down with another 500 w/fins 7:17.........Later on hit the local HS track for a planned 3 x1 and it was busy..... turned it into a tempo-type (I call it tempo but close to MP) trail run done as 1 mile easy , 7 miles hard , then a cooldown http://connect.garmin.com/activity/381190277#

I'm gonna hang with you IMFL guys thru the weekend and then bail on ya..... Sorry but headed to KONA next thursday for some acclimating and tapering...... This coming weekend will be my biggest weekend of the KONA/IMFL build..... After KONA I have 3 weeks before IMFL but it will be spent as 1 week recovery, then short stuff with short bouts of intensity maxing my long ride @ 3hrs and long run @ 90min..... So most of my training will be done after this weekend!
  • Options
    busy week here....2x1 went well the other day...last nite 2x20 not so much...soldiered on and made it 1x20 + 1x15 ....legs are fine this am....looking forward to long run tonite w/temps in the upper 60's
  • Options
    @Tim - already there with you - doing them much closer to .95 as well.

LR was much better today - cooler again for a change (low 50's). Still had a net loss of 4 lbs and drank 60 oz. You think I sweat much?

Didn't allow myself to get worked up over MP pace and wound up closer to 20 seconds slower. HR was right about where "true" Open MP pace has been -- lower 160's (plan to race in the mid/upper 140's).  A good solid workout and the pace felt more like it says "steady" where the last 2 WKO and trying to push for 8:06 pace was T pace from a HR and RPE standpoint -- 3 x 30' of that would have been bad.

So while the paces were off a bit it was a confidence building 2:15 (15 mi) run.
  • Options
    just finished my LR = 122 min (13.4 mi) with 84 min @ z2/z3....found myself @ MP & HMP sometimes....pacing felt good....cut last 15 min cuz my middle toe was starting to hurt...a left over pain from IMLP.....maybe time to cut a hole in my shoe to relieve the pressure LOL....life not allowing my RR this wkend but I'll get some long rides in

@ TC - been great having you in our group to lead the pack....best of luck @ Kona and see you a few weeks later

@ JA - congrats on your swim RR....i know the feeling RR in a pool really sux
  • Options
    Rr#1complete. I wrecked pretty hard about an hour into the bike. I though about pulling the plug but there really won't be a chance to redo. So I kept after it. Rear d would get stuck every now and then. Then it got hot. 90 By the time it was over. I also forgot my power bars so I had to use gels for 6 hrs. Don't want to see a gel for a day or two.
    I road steady but as the heat picked up I had to dial power back.blongest bike I have ever done.
    The run went fine. My z1 is 10 min so my first 6 mi pace is 10:30. I couldn't run that slow so every time my lap pace got below 10 I just walked till it drifted back up to 10:30. Still ended up with 6 mi just under an hour. Might have been because I uncooked the bike.
    And I forgot sunblock. I am usually done training by 11 at the latest. Never needed it. My wife is big time pissed about that.
    Hopefully the road rash won't keep me out of the pool too long. I'm not set to swim again till Sunday anyway.
    Good skill to all who give this a shot this weekend.
  • Options
    @JS pretty strong hitting some HMP on a 2hr run... top of the toe or the bottom? I'm assuming top? did you get a blister/hotspot at IMLP?

90min bike on TR w/7min of v02 and then 2 x 25 @ .85.... 4 mile easy brick run with strides.....
  • Options
    @ TC - toenail black after LP....pain is temporary in that once in street shoes its gone....no problem curling toes or pushing off....last nite i stopped 2x to tighten laces to keep foot from sliding forward.....I think toe box on shoe is to small....last yr after LP i had to upsize riding shoes & sneaks....might have to go up another size though
  • Options
    @JS.... yep I'd rather have too much room than not enough... allow for your feet to swell up as the day goes on..... as long as its not sliding around... I have the opposite every once and a while the bottom of the middle toes hurt? Never figured it out...

Hard long swim today 5 x 1000yds (60sec or less) Did em all easy except the last one pushed it avg pace per 100yds 1:40 , 1:41 , 1:42 , 1:43 , 1:38.... I'm cooked and resting the rest of the day for the big weekend....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/381958934#
  • Options
    @Jimmy. Ouch! way to tough it out after the wreck, man. be careful out there. we need to get to the start line!

@tim. nice swim. don't know how you do it! really looking forward to tracking you @ KONA!!!

I had a nice long run yesterday. after a $1200 glorified shin splint (i.e. negative MRI looking for a stress fracture) in June I've been struggling with my running. Yesterday's LR is the first time I feel like i'm getting my mojo back, so I am pretty psyched.

Not doing the RR this weekend since I did the aquabike last weekend, but I will be spending a lot of time in the saddle. looks like good weather, except for the fact that it is dark until 7am now which is really cramping my style of getting out early.
  • Options
    hey guys - how long am i out of the pool with road rash? just till everything is scabbed?

My elbow is starting to sell today and is pretty sore. For sure no aero till the swelling goes down. I am due to do the 1hr interval ride this weekend but I can do it sitting up. Over all hurting much more today. Glad I pushed through and completed the RR though.

• Options
    @Jimmy.... probably depends on how bad it is... just dont wanna get infected.... you can use that tegaderm to cover them as well
  • Options
    Swim RR in the books...

@Tim -- our thinking was right on! -- 1:11:13 = (1:41.74/100y)

Did splits each 400 and the last 200. The last four 400 splits, while my form was breaking down a tad remained steady at 6:50.47, 6:49.34, 6:50.49 and 6:50.54

Now trying to find my appetite to fuel for tomorrow's RR.

Good luck to all tomorrow - no wrecks (sorry Jimmy   )

• Options
    Im with you jeff. no wrecks. i was on a newish bike too. oh well. had to gt the first couple of dings at some point.
  • Options
    mid week 2x20 bike today on the trainer. miscalibrated my PM so the NP for the whole ride was 7w. oops!

Took the wrap off my leg to get a look at it. Kinda nasty. couple of deep spots. ankle swollen. looks like I might be getting a pool break. They dont make a tegaderm big enough to cover this. But with that said I will go by the drug store today and check. I might be able to tile them together.
    They stick to the wound right? I guess you just leave them on till it heals.
    Good luck out there folks!
  • Options
    Year end at work ending up cancelling my RR swim last night.  I am pushing it to Monday night because I have too much to do Sunday.  Rode 100 miles today with an hour run afterwards.  I felt pretty good after the bike but beat after the run.  We rode a 50 mile loop twice.  Going out was sweet with a good tailwind but going back in was dead into a 15 mph wind.  Great training for Florida.  I actually felt like I had too much nutrition on the bike.  Is that possible?  I have to think on that tomorrow when I get a chance to look at the numbers.  Been finished riding for almost three hours now and still not hungry.  I will post a write up tomorrow.
  • Options
    Go to a Dr. and see if they will prescribe you Silvaden (sp?).  It is a burn medicine but what you have is what the call a concrete burn.  Playing intramurals in college, I slid into third base and took all the skin off my calf from my knee to my ankle.  For a week, I treated it with over the counter first aid creams and it would not scab up.  Finally went to the doctor and he gave me the Silvaden and it scabbed up overnight with just one treatment.  It also would hurt to update your tetanus shot as well.
  • Options
    @Jeff U.... congrats on that nice swim RR!

@Jimmy yeah that leg sounds bad....take it easy on that swollen ankle too!

@Blake... nice day.... interested to hear what you consumed on the bike?

I've never been a fan of the run first then bike but reversed my day today and did just that.... 7 mile run in 53min , bike 93miles 4:55...... Since my bike is on its way to KONA I had to ride my old Quintana Roo , although the fit is very close , nothing felt right with different length cranks, standard vs compact gearing , no Di2, different wheels that actually stop cause of the aluminum break tracks , bars etc etc.... ON top of that I chose a route with a lot of climbing.... just rode RPE since HR was haywire as well... I'll admit it the bike was damn hard after that run to start the day.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/382584401#
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/382354638
  • Options
    covered up with tegaderm. seems like good stuff. I still might be out for a couple of more days. I am going to play it by feel. As we all are, I am super self motivated and if I dont feel like training I need to listen to that.
    Another reason to be greatful that I got my rr in on thursday: It rained HARD here today.
    Well done to those who got out there.
    Blake - I know what you mean about work. Last week and this next week will pretty much make my year in terms of compensation.
    Tim - looking forward to tracking you at kona. I know it isnt a focus race for you but still lets see one of those patented Tim bikes with a VI of 1.000!
  • Options
    RR done - much harder than I thought it would be. Coach P saying the race and RR are some of the easiest WKO we do - he is NUTS. Also - he isn't on the bike for 6 hours either image

I'll post a proper RR debrief as I need to dial in nutrition for sure. I am fine up to 4 hours or so then it all goes to hell. Had some of the nastiest Vurps (Vomit Burps) on the run - not pleasant.

Hope everyone else had a good day training -- I just killed half a Papa John's pizza =)
  • Options
    RR1 today went down hill around 5 hrs...made it to 5:30 and had to call in the support wagon. Sick as a dog..and still sick. Stomach virus going around and not sure that it didn't get me today. Will post a full report tomorrow.
  • Options
    Wrapped up my last big weekend with 23miles running today.... 16miles in the am @ 7:41 avg pace and 7miles in the pm @ 7:41 pace.... couldn't of planned that any better very happy and I guess consistent LOL.... swim and massage tomorrow!

Its been great virtually training with you IMFL peeps. You have inspired and motivated me. I hope I have done the same. Its great to share and learn by putting it out there and it helps to hold ourselves accountable as well.

Discipline- Is the word ..... you have waited too long, trained too hard, spent too much money and time to blow it now. Stay focussed and disciplined the next 5 weeks.
    1. Juggle your schedules the best you can and fit in the priority workouts.
    2. Listen to your body but be honest with yourself. Rest if you need it and hit those wko's if you can.
    3. They say 5lbs of fat can account for 4-12min on the bike and 8min on the run at the IM distance. That is 12-20 minutes . Fuel right , don't eat crap or too much.
    4. Practice and nail down the 4th discipline nutrition.
    5. Review all there is about execution in the wiki , race rehearsals , race plans , webinar's etc....
    6. Don't forget your gear bike tune up, tires, pm batteries , di2 charge , etc!

5 weeks is still plenty of time... but ya know how that goes... blink and were all gonna be standing on the beach! Make the next 3 weeks count cause its downhill after that.

OK thats my pep talk LOL...I'll be watching from KONA as I taper and will check back in with you guys for the IMFL taper!