Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Complete Newbie - The place for me?

I've been biking and running for approximately four weeks. My fastest time on the bike (old Giant intro level road bike) is 15.8 mph over 15 miles and I'm currently doing a run/walk interval of 3 minutes run/2 minutes walk. In other words, I don't have much fitness, currently! My swim fitness is even worse but I'm starting that this week (couldn't swim 100 meters right now probably).

However, I'm enjoying the process and thinking long-term. I've always admired this website and thought I would give it a 7 day trial.  My question is should I wait until my general fitness level improves to join OR can EN take someone like me and build them up the right way from the start. I highly agree with the ROI philosophy here and want to get the most out of my training.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Neal

Comments

• Options
    IMHO, you're "general fitness" will improve soooo much more quickly with a structured and SMART approach, which is exactly what you will get with EN. Also, along the way you will have much more fun because you will avoid many mistakes you would probably make otherwise (there is a TON of collective knowledge in EN), AND you will benefit from the team "mojo" which is a very significant intangible. The fact that you're "general fitness" is low right now only means that you will make much more significant gains compared to some of the uber-fit teammates who are at the pointy end of the stick. In short, join, I highly doubt you will be sorry!
  • Options

Hi Neal:

Welcome to the team.  There are a ZILLION triathlon teams, web sites, etc. out there.  The EN differentiator is how to execute on race day.  Anyone can tell you to swim, bike, and run x-hours per day/week, but EN teaches you how to execute.  

"On race day it isn't about fitness (everyone is fit), it is about execution."

Form training to nutrition, dealing with LIFE issues around training, etc.  It is all here in a fun and encouraging environment.

There is a lot to learn, and if you ask questions and read what the coaches have written you will be a well educated and smart triathlete.  And a race day execution Ninja.  

John

• Options
    One more thing -- it's not about ability here or speed, it's about interest level and engagement. If you want to get better, and willing to raise your hand to ask for help when you need it, we can help!!! image

There's a natural inclination for people to post AMAZING NUMBERS but they don't post when THEY ARENT SO AMAZING. Don't be intimidated...you are more like the majority of EN than you might think!
  • Options

x 2 on what Coach P said.  I am relatively new to this too (although I started cycling ~4yrs prior to switching to triathlon).  I couldn't swim 200m without having to switch to breast or side-stroke either....just last summer.  My first tri was a sprint....I think I did about half the 800m swim as breast-stroke b/c that is all I could muster). I now routinely swim 3000yds three times a week in less than an hour with no difficulty.  Your initial fitness will improve rapidly (then it'll become harder to get faster, in my experience!).  I couldn't run a mile without having to walk when I started running last summer, but now can run for 2hours without stopping (OK....maybe a few steps here or there!)...14miles.  While I'm not "fast" compared to many of the folks in EN, I am ACCEPTED and get the same advice, help, encouragement as the "fast guys (and gals)".  That's what I love about EN.  There are no stupid questions, except the ones you don't ask.  

My family and friends (especially ones far away who I don't routinely talk to) cannot believe what I am doing now.  It's as if they are thinking, "THAT guy?.....trying an Ironman....no way!"

I remember having the same conversation you are describing, with myself a little less than a year ago.  I'm so glad I joined EN and haven't even thought about dropping out since.  I'm really probably only a little faster (physically), but considering where I started, my endurance has quadroupled.  I'm not an athletic person either (I've never won anything except as a bench-warmer on a team full of athletes!)....some people just "have it"....then there are people like me.  

I've signed up for IM Texas May 2014.  If you would have told me I was going to do that last summer I'd have told you that you lost your mind.  I know I can do this, too.  I probably won't die either!  I will finish though.  

One of the most important things most of us need to get out and do the workouts needed to get faster, go longer, lose weight, whatever it is you know you need to do...is motivation.  If I don't have a race that is staring me in the face, it's really easy to blow off workouts.  Pretty soon, you haven't done anything for 2-3 weeks and you're starting over again....slow again, gonna get sore again, feeling depressed because you slacked for 3 weeks,......can you tell I've been there?!  With EN, I'm on the website every day (sometimes even at work....like right now), staying focused, seeing what amazing stuff others are doing, which motivates me (in addition to that HIM in 2 weeks and full IM in May).  Without this, I know I would have quit or not been nearly as fit and "fast" as I am now.  Plus, I feel great physically....to run 12-14 miles and be only a tad sore the next day makes me feel good.  

So, short answer (hah!....too late...already a long answer isn't it!)....start off with the right support, advice, encouragement and a solid plan with goals in front of you and you will not regret it.  

Just my 2 cents...

• Options
    I'm a complete Newbie too, maybe 6 weeks ahead of you. I decided to try because I don't want to just log miles (or yards). I want to train smarter. To move, in fact, from logging miles to *training*. I hope we're in the right place. We'll discover that together.