Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Google Maps Gives Bike Routes

Sort of.

Yesterday, Google announced the start (still in beta) of bicycling directions as part of Google maps. First route I tried, of course, was my bike commute route to work. Here's what they offered - a 55 mile solution to a nine mile problem, sending me to the ferry to Seattle, when there's a nice 12 foot wide dedicated protected bike path over the new Narrows Bridge to Tacoma.

The design team is based in Seattle; apparently they don't yet know about the billion dollar bridge 35 miles to their south finished 3 years ago, or the older bike path over the companion twin bridge which has been there since 1950. I shudder to think what I'll find when look for routes for my upcoming trip to LA in April. I suspect they don't know about the concrete rivers there.

Comments

• Options
    I did a similar "commute" check yesterday (looking at my old commute) and it had me riding strait up 355 (aka "Rockville Pike") in Montgomery County for 5 miles. There's no way in HELL I'd ride my bike on that death trap street! It's still in Beta- probably for some really good reasons.
  • Options

I did a quick route from my house to the Rose Bowl. Route was decent, as in "if I was with an old lady on a hybrid and didn't want her anywhere near cars, this is the way I'd go"...until the route dumped onto a busy street with several less traffic-y alternatives running paralell. Funny part was it said it would take 1:05 to do the the 10 miles. I do it in 32-35', door to door

• Options
    Posted By Rich Strauss on 11 Mar 2010 09:52 AM

Funny part was it said it would take 1:05 to do the the 10 miles. I do it in 32-35', door to door

But thats on your Motto