Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IM AZ Equipment Question

I recently purchased Flo Cycling wheel set that has a disc wheel.  I was wondering from some of the vets of the race or locals (Betsy) would you recommend a disc or a deep dish (Zipp 404s) for the back wheel for a typical race day conditions?  Or would that be a game day decision?  I am driving so I do have the ability to bring both back wheels.

As a side note, does anyone know what wind speed would a disc become unsafe or not recommended?  

Comments

• Options
    Jim, several thoughts. First, as a general rule, a disc is always preferred unless the race specifically prohibits, according to Coach R. Second, there are not really any climbs on this course - elevation gain total for the race is about 1300' compared to, say, CDA @ 5000+, and the gradient only makes it to 4% for about a mile or so. Third, the years I've raced there, the wind has been quite tolerable, less than 8 mph. I've used a disc cover over my 404s all the times I've raced there.
  • Options
    Jim-as Al says, the climb is minimal-the last two miles before the turnaround at Shea.
    As for winds-they can be variable and sometimes strong. I rode between 10-2:30 yesterday and the wind was hardly perceptible (spectacular day. Temps In The 90s). . A few weeks ago it seemed like 20mph gusts- and they can change direction throughout the day.
    I know Ryan used his disc last year. I am 108 pounds and have been told I'm too small to handle it so have t tried.

Al-have you used special race tires in the past for AZIM?
    I bought into the group purchase of Italian race tires last year. I did have a fast ride but they were shreds at the end-especially the front. Not sure if I should change tires or not this year
  • Options
    Betsy, you started riding yesterday at about the same time we stopped. Had a good head wind on the ride up to Shea on the first loop. Wind switched directions about the time we got to Shea on the second loop and it turned into a nice head wind on the way down from Shea. Discs are very popular on this course. If the wind is blowing, it's steady rather than gusts.
  • Options
    in 2011 I rode 404 front and 808 rear w/ disc cover. No issues. But, being a big dood at ~210lbs, a disc on the rear will seldom bother me - it's always the FRONT wheel that determines the "twitchiness" of the ride.
  • Options

yes definitely disc.

unless you are very small or if there is a hurricane.