Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Weather Report

Hey Fellow IMAZ Hammers!

Now, I know that a lot can change between now and Sunday in reference to what Mother Nature may throw at us, but here's what the current outlook is right now for this Sunday (from Accuweather):

Morning air temp (coming off a low of 50): around 60. High of 74 forecast for the day, winds NNE 4mph, gusts to 6mph. Sunrise = 7:01am, Sunset = 5:24PM (10:23 of day time, add another 30 min or so for dawn/dusk).

It's going to be a perfect race day!!

Comments

• Options
    Too much time in the taper! haha

It's all out of your control any way, all you can do is execute execute execute! :-)
  • Options
    The weather forecast for Sunday has changed significantly with the latest update. While obsessing about the weather is a no-no, being prepared for possible contingencies is important especially when packing for the trip and race.

Instead of the clear, no wind, and 77-82 which had been forecast, now the NWS and weather underground are saying to look for clouds, 40% chance of rain in AM, and high of 69-72. Good chance of cool (meaning: ideal) temps on the run, in the mid 60s after 3:30 PM, but also 10 mph headwinds coming back on last two loops of the bike.

Spectators might be advised to consider bringing a light lacket, cap, or even umbrella. When it rained race day '10, WTC cleaned up selling M-Dot logo umbrellas and plastic capes @ the expo.

For me, this does not impact what I will be wearing for the race, only that I need to be aware of the need for less hydration on the bike, and minimal cooling measures on the run. The wind is what it is. Staying low, aero, and steady is always the plan.
  • Options
    Oh Al-I have been doing just as you said-not obsessing about the weather. This news is cruel-the weather has been absolutely stunningly perfect the last few days!! I refuse to believe it will be otherwise.....I can't imagine conditions like '10 with rain and hail on the Beeline
  • Options
    As for weather-I read this am 'minimal chance rain on Sunday, mostly clear skies'. That's what I care about!
    Expect winds-they are almost always there on the beeline. A constant seems to be 5-15 mph with gusts up to 20mph.
    We hit 92 on Monday and mid 80s last few days. Temps definitely cooling to high of mid 70s which is perfect running weather!
    Lake water temp was 65 for our swim last Saterday. Expect it may drop a few degrees by race day.
    Brenda is activating 'group me' at noon mountain time today.
  • Options
    Still too early. Accuweather says 53 - 70. 3% precip. Winds 2-6.
  • Options
    I ran around Tempe Town Lake this morning; wind blowing pretty good in a general from East to West direction. Definitely felt the wind running into it, seems to take a little extra energy. With the wind, it felt like I was floating along, felt easy but heated up and sweating much greater running with the wind than into the wind. If wind is a factor on the run, I will be drafting off a foward runner into the wind in order to conserve a little energy