Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Jason B Race Plan

I have been very impressed with everyone's race plans that I have read over the last few days.  Wolf--I loved the amazing level of detail and would use yours as a template for the one I should put together.

I've attached the documents I have thus far that builds the foundation for my race plan (IMAZ Itinerary, Split Time Goals, and Nutrition Plan). 

If I get time this week, I'll put it together into a narrative like you've all brilliantly done.

Comments

• Options
    OK, here is a first draft for me on race plan. Probably will work more tomorrow night. First time Ironman. Welcome any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Monday Vacation, Swim, Organize gear and set aside

Tuesday Bike 60min, Run 30min

Wednesday Run 30 min, Swim, Pack

Thursday, Nov 14th

0500 Leave Home

0900 Flight to Phoenix

11AM Land Phoenix, Hotel Check In

1:30PM Race Packet Pickup & 2PM Athlete Briefing

Run 30 Minutes on IMAZ course

Swim 30 Min at Hotel

Kerry & Kyra Pedicures

6PM EN Team Dinner Buca di Beppo in Scottsdale

Friday, Nov 15th

Morning Bike 60 Minutes ~0830 AM

Morning Run 30 Minutes ~0930 AM

10:30am. 4 Keys Talk by Coach Rich at the swim start by the Powerbar Perform bottle.

Lunch Carb Loading begins 456g for day

Hang out hotel or see a movie

5:45-7PM World Triathlon Corp Dinner Tempe Arts Park

Saturday, Nov 16

760g carbs today, low fiber, low nutrient density (bagels, sports drink, pretzels)

20 Minute Run

0700 Ironkids 1 Mile Fun Run (not sure if Jack wants to do)

0800 Breakfast at Chompies Deli 1160 E University Tempe (This is my largest meal) (???)

0900-1100 Swim Practice 40 Minutes Tempe Town Lake

10AM-UTC Bike Check In (in correct gear), Bike & Run Bags dropped

Lunch with Bill and Kris

Hang out with Bill & Kris, feet up, watch TV or lounge by pool

Early Dinner (Daphnes Greek) & Early Bed (light dinner and close to bed time)

8PM bedtime

Sunday, Nov 17th

0330 Breakfast Core Diet

0450 Leave Hotel

0530 Body Marking and Transition Setup

0630 Team Picture – Powerbar Blow up

0645 Into the Water

0700 Race Start

6PM-7PM Finish Ironman

9PM Post Race Beer Rula Bula 401 S Mill Tempe ???

Monday, Nov 18

0700 Purchase Finishers Gear

0945 Head to Airport for return flight

Bags:

Morning Clothes: Wetsuit, Goggles x 2, ear plugs, cap, body glide, headlamp

T1 Bag: Socks, Shoes, Helmet, Sun Glasses, Sunscreen

T2 Bag: Comp socks, Newton Running Shoes, 1 gal Ziploc (hat, salt tabs in bag, sunscreen, 1 gel)

Bike Special Needs: Tube, CO2, Tire

Run Special Needs: Asics GT2000, 2-3 Gels

RACE DAY Specifics

0330 Breakfast 3 cups applesauce, 1 scoop whey protein, 1 banana, 1 bottle sports drink

0430 Race Day Outfit: EN Tri Top, Desoto Bike Shorts, Timing Chip. Sunscreened. Light pants and long sleeves for wear before wetsuit and post race. Gel and Sports Drink to take with.

0450 Leave Hotel w/Family

0530 Body Marking, Check Tires, Fill drink bottle, Put 2 gel on bike. Drop special needs bags.

0615 Don wetsuit, drop morning clothes bag.

0630 Team Picture – Powerbar Blow up

0650 Into the Water

0700 Race Start

Swim: Plan 1:11-1:15 swim. Plan to start in middle from left to right and back from line with those planning similar swim times.

Bridge to Bridge: Find my rhythm, sight line (ID in Sat preswim), sight Often

Other Side of Bridge: Expect to be longer than I think, take turn wide to avoid masses

Bridge to Halfway Back: Stay Right, Many swimmers will swim to your left on buoy line

Halfway Back to Bridge: Stay Steady, Stretch It Out, Good Form

Bridge to T1: almost there, finish the swim, you did it! See, you knew you would!

T1: Goggles, Cap come off and remain in wetsuit sleeve, find big burly stripper, jog to T1. Look for family along the way. Find volunteer, shout out number, assume I am retrieving my own bag. Find spot outside of tent.

Socks, Shoes, Helmet and Glasses. If volunteer assist have them lather sunscreen. Run with bike past mount line.

Bike: Focus on getting heart rate down, lots of folks will pass me. Aim for 170 watts until Beeline. Once on beeline steady 179 (.70 IF) watts, no surges, no competing with others, let them pass me, eyes glued to road and watch. Aero the whole way except for turns and aid stations. Lap 2 and 3 permission to take it to 184 watts (.72 IF) but only if you are feeling great. I will be passing people come lap 3.

Drink and drink often. Drink until I am about burping the perform back up. Goal will be 2 bottles per hour and no qualms about peeing while I bike. Watch will beep when it is time for my gel (every 45 minutes)

Mantra: Stay on target, Stay on Target, Don’t worry what those around me are doing. I am going to ride my race. No draft, Ride the smooth asphalt of beeline not the chipseal debris strewn shoulder (they can still get around me with lots of room to spare).

Past the stadium, increase cadence and easier gear, feet on top of shoes, be careful dismounting

T2 Hand off bike, jog to transition, sit down, change out socks for compression socks, shoes on, helmet in bag and grab Ziploc with hat, salt tabs, gel, sunscreen

Run. 9:28/mile for 6 miles. Put on hat, take 3 salt tabs, and either sunscreen or chuck it. 4 ounces of sports drink or coke every aid station. Plan to hit that 9:28 pace in my very first mile.

Mile 7-18 8:58/mile. Continue nutrition routine, add salt tabs 1-2 every 5 miles. Don’t refuse sponges or ice when offered.

Mile 19—Just don’t slow down. You worked way to hard to give in to an early celebration or negotiation in your mind that XX time is still a great performance. Be grateful that I am able to do this and have the loving support of my family. I will not be passed, I will be doing the passing.

Don’t sprint in the finish chute, enjoy the glory, be emotional, thank the volunteers and most importantly my family! Look for the pizza sign “Yes, you can take the whole Box”
  • Options

Jason - Plan looks good.  Just two suggestions for your consideration.  First, I'd take it very easy on Friday's workouts.  You won't gain any fitness at this point and rest is your best friend.  Suggest you ride no longer than 30 minutes (maybe less) and really just make sure your bike is working fine (check all gears, brakes, etc).  Go at a very easy Z1 pace (you will have to hold yourself back b/c your legs will want to go) except for about 1/4 or 1/2 mile (but no longer than that) where you crank it up to your FTP watts to "stretch" your legs.  Also, cut back the run to 15 minutes.  Same idea...save it for the race. 

My 2nd suggestion is that you don't mention putting any clothes in your morning page, and you may want different or additional clothes for after the race.  I've found that I actually need more layers to put on after an IM than I need before the race.  Maybe it is just me, but I get colder after the race faster than I get before the race even if the actual temp is higher. Could be my body just reacting to the stress of the race.  Anyway, you might just put an additional dry long-sleeve T or fleece in the morning bag just in case you need it after the race.

Yes, Saturday breakfast is a big meal.

Have a great race.  Looks like you are super prepared.

• Options
    Jason - great looking plan, very detailed and focused. Be sure and save some pizza for me!