Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

2014 IM CdA Official Introductory Thread

Welcome to the IM CdA Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    Jason Brandt, 40m, Auburn, WA

This will be my 2nd IM after having done IMAZ in Nov 2013. Location and that a few friends were doing this race made it a no brainer as my next IM to do. I joined EN after Boise 70.3 June 2013 and have really learned a lot and gotten a lot faster since then. I started a new job on the first of the year which has me commuting to NJ 50% of the time so that will be a new challenge/twist to getting ready for IMCdA. I'd love to best my previous IM time of 10:26 knowing this course will be tougher than IMAZ.

I look forward to meeting all the teammates virtually, learning from each other and then meeting up when we race at the end of June.

Thanks,
    Jason Brandt
  • Options
    Peter Noyes, 31M, Los Angeles, CA

This will be my first IM. I started Triathlon in 2013 and had a great year. I completed a sprint, two olympics and it culminated with my first HIM in Austin where I smashed my goal with a time of 5:25. I also did a whole bunch of running races. I am part of the Pasadena Triathlon Club which has lots of other ENers and I even get to ride with coach Rich from time to time. I joined EN with my friend Jon and we are doing all the same races. CdA will be the 3rd race in a trifecta that starts with Oceanside and Wildflower. I don't quite know what to expect from my first IM so I guess my goal is just to finish it.

I am already stepping it up for 2014, I just bought myself a Cervelo P3 and the EN kit! I am looking forward to meeting everyone joining in on EN domination at the race!

Thanks,
    Peter
  • Options
    Hi All!
    This will be my third IM and my second time at Coeur d'Alene. I went into last year's race knowing that I had a limited training regime with no idea of the course. The race went well until Mile 16 of the run when a really cool vertigo hit me and I decided to hang out in an aid station chair for a while eating everything in sight. With that setback, I am looking forward to bettering my experience with a solid year of smart, dedicated training. I am trying to train for triathlon in the Yukon where very few are foolish enough to do so. Most of my work is done on the trainer and the treadmill and I get pretty envious of the folks posting about their outdoor sessions! Loving the Outseason so far and looking forward to meeting others who are ready to suffer on June 29, 2014!

Jud
  • Options
    Oklahoma is in!. This will be my 4th IM and second time doing IM CDA. Fell apart in 2012 on the run, so looking to have a better showing this year. Shooting for 11:30 or better. Good luck to everyone!
  • Options
    Hey guys!
    David Leventhal here. I'll be 40 years old in March and I'm from Dallas, TX. This will be my first IM. I got into triathlons last year...did a handful of sprints in the spring & summer & finished the year with Austin 70.3. Trained with EN for the Austin raced and finished in 5:19 - was really thrilled with how prepared I felt based on my training and the guidance I'd received through EN.

Ironically, I told myself I'd never do a full IM...that it was simply too much to get my brain around. I'm really looking forward to training for this race and hoping I can stay healthy!
  • Options

Hi Everyone,

Jennifer Datwyler W40-44

This will be my 4th IM. 1st was AZ in 2010. I did Canada in 2012 with the hopes of Kona qualifying. I found out that I was way out of my league and placed 20th in my AG. I then did CDA last year (2013) with low expectations. My training had not been as consistent as Canada and my goal for CDA was to enjoy the day and not kill myself! Unbeknownst to me, I came off the bike in 2nd. I finished 5th in my AG missing Kona by 2 slots and 6 mins. 

So..... I could not leave it alone! Back to CDA this year with the hopes of making that Kona dream come true.

• Options
    Hi folks, sounds like a wealth of experience from the thread so far.

Bill Lowe, 54 by race date, have done a couple marathons when I was younger in SF with times around 3:25. Have done a half mary recently here in AZ and an olympic tri very recently for the experience but prior to training, finished mid pack on swim and bike, run was embarrasing so a good wake up call! I love mountain biking and adventure racing, but this is really going to be an endurance and training challenge and I'm looking forward to it. Thanks in advance for the sharing of expertise I will lean on.

Will evaluate IM CdA goal as training progresses, but I am shooting to break 12 hours.
  • Options
    Hi all!

I'm Mandy Midgett. CdA will be my 4th IM and 2nd time at CdA. I love that my family lives 6 miles from the start/finish of the course and they are out there for support. Looking forward to getting to know everyone through this thread and meeting you in Idaho.
  • Options
    IM CDA is my "local" race. I did them all from 2003-2011, skipped the next two, and will be back for #10 (#27 overall) this June. Since I;m aging up this year, I have some high expectations for this race. I've got to get over there sometime to check out the current bike course, which I haven't done yet (it was changed for 2012).
  • Options

Hola Fellow IMCDA Peeps!

Who’s excited?  Me, me, me!!! *** Raising hand wildly like Hermione ***

IMCDA will be my fifth IM.  IMs # 1-3 were a nice progression of Endurance Nation trained execution from a self-graded C in 2010, B in 2011 and finally B+ in 2012 with a solid (for me) marathon, 1.03 VI and an PB 11:35 finish.  Unfortunately 2013 brought multiple (and significant) life crisis (none self-imposed, thankfully) and although my training went relatively well I took a huge step back in my mental preparation. The ultimate result was a race day nutrition SNAFU.  In short: I didn’t give race day nutrition proper focus, practice or planning + lost my concentrated bottle of Infinit within the first mile of the bike = only 500-700 (?) calories taken in on the bike = blew up at mile TWO of the marathon.    Head hanging in shame. 

So….. in addition to the run durability hack my primary focus this year is on nutrition. That has two components: 1 - Arriving at race weight and #2: Executing according to plan (including nutrition) on race weekend.

I’m following up IMCDA with IMC four weeks later. Lots of reasons for that that I won’t get into but if you’re interested (won’t hurt my feelings if you’re not!) the most recent post on my blog has those deets.  And yes, I’ve enlisted some 1-1 help from the coaches so I’m not just winging it.

In any event, I’m REALLY looking forward to the new venue and the EN mojo that surrounds this race. I’ve listened most of the race podcasts and I think Coach Rich’s love for the venue is rubbing off on me too.   That and it is within driving distance so I that will have lots of opportunity to meet y’all in PERSON in addition to the online conversations that are sure to percolate.  Can’t WAIT to meet everyone and between now and then I’m excited to hear more about your journeys as we make our way to the start line. 

Viva lo MOJO!

• Options
    How do you guys handle the cold swim? I have wanted to do this race since it began but I thought IMAZ was cold. I cant imagine this one. Convince me and tell me it is warm!
  • Options
    In 2012 the water was 56 degrees. I wore a full wetsuit and only the swim cap provided by IM, and it worked well for me. My strategy was to be at the open swim 2 days prior at 0700 to simulate race conditions and mentally prepare for the race. I have swam in cold water before and look at it as an advantage since you are more buoyant. I mentally prepared as well for the initial lung freeze that happens by telling myself to relax, breathe, get into a rhythm. I did not stop at the warming tents in T1 cause I knew I would warm up on the bike.
  • Options

During the first 9 years I did the race, the water temps race morning varied from 58 to 67. The race is late this year, June 29, so the odds are quite good the water will be "warmer". Neoprene cap helps me below 61F. I tried booties one year, but they just slow me down. Swimming harder helps increase internal temp, as does the new DeSoto upper, with 5 mm arms, instead of the usual 2mm. Makes a big difference to me, might be worth considering if you have trouble with colder swims.

The saving grace is, the air temp (due to the 4:45 AM sunrise) is usually pretty good, so it wont be like AZ, where we're starting the swim just before sunrise, or IM LT this year, when it was 34F after we got out of the water.

• Options
    @Al great point about the later in the month start. I have signed up fro this race 5 times and wimped each time because of the cold. My body just goes into cramp mode. Even at IMAZ when I hit the turn around of the swim I towed my legs all the way back due to severe cramps. Dang I want to do this race. Will the severity of the winter have an impact on the water by then?
  • Options
    What up CDA peeps!

Steven Cummings, 36 from Atlanta, GA

This will be my 2nd IM with IMFL in 2012 being my first. I signed up for CDA since I wanted to do an early year Ironman not knowing they were going to announce a new race in the Southeast, Chattanooga. Anyways, I decided to pull a double this year and do IMCHOO as well. I spent last year focusing on getting faster ....qualified for ITU Long Distance USA team at Rev3 Anderson but the race is in China the weekend before IMCHOO so I'm bowing out.

Looking forward to training and racing with everyone!

• Options

We have a good group racing and I'm excited to be there with all of you.  This will be my 2nd time racing at CDA.  I raced there in 2011 and loved the area.  I had a great season last year but it didn't end quite the way I would have liked.  I have some unfinished on the big island.  My goal for this race is to get back to Kona by winning my AG. 

I look forward to getting to know everyone and meeting you in CDA.

• Options

Hi Everyone! 

Vann Simmons, Amelia Island FL-47

IM CDA will be my 6th IM, last 3 where IMKY 11' & 12" and IMTX 13' so I was looking for a race where the temps would not be in the 90's on the run. I've been drinking the EN cool aide for over 2 years now and excited to have kicked off my 20 week training plan this week! 

Looking forward to racing and meeting you guys in June. 

• Options
    North Carolina is in too.

This will be IM #6 and looking forward to a change of scenery. It's all flat where I'm at so the ride and run profile for IMCDdA will be fun.

I'm traveling without my family to this one so EN will be my family. I hope y'all like BBQ?
  • Options

Magui from Miami in sunny South Florida.

This will be my 2nd IM after completing IMLV last August in 14:35. Happy with my first race that I trained on my own, not I want to better my time and follow EN training plan. 

Not looking forward to the cold lake swim but excited for it nevertheless!

Also will be training for IMFL in Nov this year.

• Options
    It's quite around this IMCDA thread! Where's everybody at in their training currently? I'm wrapping up week 5 of the get faster plan and it seems to be paying dividends while also kicking my @ss in gear.
  • Options

Steven-- I second that, too quiet in this forum. 

I switched out of January OS into HIM (for WF HIM) 2 weeks back and have enjoyed adding some volume with the Thursday long runs and Sat/Sun longer bikes.  Feeling stronger and faster as a result of the Jan OS.  Ran 13.1 yesterday in long run and set new personal best and that was running by myself. Planning to take off work for May 23 and June 13 to do my race rehearsals.  Switch to IM plan in early April and from then on it will be all about IMCdA

• Options
    I'm about two weeks out from HIM Cali (3/29) which I"m really looking forward to...then I'll take a week off and transition into the IMCDA training plan. I've had a good, but short OS - spent some time in the get faster plan and it definitely helped my running...so I'm looking forward to seeing how it translates during a race.
  • Options
    I am in week 18 of a HIM plan and will be racing Oceanside in two weeks. Yesterday I did my last long run before Oceanside and nailed it. This weekend is my final race rehearsal. I am looking forward to the 1 week of unstructured training after my HIM and then I will jump right in with the IM plan for IMCDA. I also did a big bike week last week which I am hoping will pay off on race day. I am getting a bit nervous about the full ironman, it will be my first. My longest swim set ever is only 3300 yards. I fear that swimming is about to kill me.
  • Options

I am in the Get Faster plan. I am running a HM on Sunday and will use it to reset run paces going into the IM plan. I will do one more week ( week 6 of GF) and then do a big bike week followed by a transition/recovery week before heading into the IM plan. Things are going pretty well. My Plantar Fascitiits seems to be under control as long as I don't push the paces on the run too much.  I am also doing the Escape from Alcatraz Tri on June 1.  I am going on a "practice" swim with a group next Weds.  I got in the lake today (54 degrees) and nearly froze to death. Hoping the Bay will be even a few degrees warmer!

• Options

Great to hear from folks!  I am in my last week of OS started in January, switching to IM plan this Monday, have enjoyed the intervals as a real challenge, but looking forward to some volume.  No more issues with outer calf "heart attacks", thanks to key stretching and use of roller everyday, and having lost 20 pounds over 6 months (10 to go!).  Improved on testing by about 5% average on bike and run, so very happy with that.  Looking forward to first HIM at Wildflower as part of training for CDA, even if they do have to adjust the course due to lower waterlevels, want to prove I can be strong on the run, and from what I hear that will be a challenge there for sure.  Talk to you soon,

Bill

• Options

I'm doing a full 14 weeks of OS, finishing up a week earlier than the regular Jan OS crew. Then I move immediately into week 9 of the 20 eek IM plan, with a gradual bulls up for the first 3 weeks, as I'm doing Boston in week 11. weeks 15-18 will be at altitude (2000-2600 meters) in Colorado where I'll be honing my biking with both distance and hill sessions (1-2 x a week of FTP efforts up and down 600-800 vertical' climbs @ about 8500-9300 foot elevation). I might do the Grand Junction HITS HIM or Oly weekend of May 17, if I can ever remember to make final plans and sign up.

• Options
    Hi All! I am finishing week 5 of the Get Faster Plan and heading to Tucson for a week and a half to find some sun and try riding on real roads, instead of my trainer. No races before IMCDA. This is my first time in EN and am loving the structured workouts and accountability through the forums. Looking forward to hearing from you all as we get closer.
  • Options
    I am finishing 2 weeks of swim camp and IM training starts Monday!!! Wahoo!!! I am super excited to get into the training, and to hear from everyone on here! We are 3 months and 14 days out from start!!

Mandy
  • Options
    Alright, sounds like everyone is ramping up training. I've got a few weeks left in the get faster plan before jumping into the IM plan. Also getting ready for the Atlanta half marathon next weekend and then the mountain madness HIM in early May.
  • Options

Just ran 1/2 Marathon this morning. 1:41:12. Really happy with result considering my training has been stalled with this dang Plantar Fasciitis. Vdot bumped from 42 to 44. Hoping I can handle the new numbers!