Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

2014 IMFlorida Official Introductory Thread

Welcome to the IM Florida Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    Wow, it's only January but I will put this out there. IMFL was my 1st IM in 2008 and I am coming back in 2014 for my 8th...working towards a Legacy slot to Kona. The only reason I'm doing Florida instead of another destination is because my youngest son is also entered (his 1st). He will be 24 this year and I will be 57. Despite my experience, my money is on him.

I attended grades, 5, 6, 10, 11 and 12 in Panama City, and my parents still live there so this is sort of a hometown race. I was swimming out at St Andrews State Park before anyone had even imagined the first ironman. I know the area well.
  • Options
    @Paul, looking forward to learn from your IMFL experience!!!!! For now I'm focused on IMLC (March) and will then begin to ask questions (lots of questions!!!!!). Looking forward.
  • Options
    Juan - Good luck at Los Cabos. I've done Cozumel twice, and intend to check off Los Cabos in the future. I am interested in your race report since you will be riding the new bike course out there. Hope your leg is better now.
  • Options
    IMFL last year was first full IM, and signed up for 2014 the day before the race image started doing tri's in 1988, with a lot of on/off over the years, but were all shorter stuff. Always had goal of doing 140.6, and after talking to EN team member John Molchin, I felt EN would be the right way to do it, so joined team in time for NOS in 2012.

Had lot of fun last year.....learning to train with power/pace, great day at Muncie 70.3 where expected to maybe break 5:30 at best but ended up with a 5:09. Felt great going into IMFL, and was having a great day until some pretty nasty gut cramps hit me early in the run (and stayed with me the ENTIRE way). In spite of the run experience, still feel like gained a ton of confidence, and with the help of the team in determining what I think was the cause of gut cramps, very much looking forward to this years race.

Goals for IMFL this year are to show up healthy, happy, NAIL the nutrition, and simply be able to "drive my fitness vehicle" to its potential.......which was the frustrating thing about last year.....my gut simply wouldn't let me do that.
  • Options
    A buddy and I had a great time volunteering at IMFL2013 and I am excited about doing my first Full Ironman in November. I have done two HIM and would love to break 12 hours and feel like sub 13 is a very realistic goal. I just joined EN and am looking forward to learning as much as I can from all of you and giving back where possible.
  • Options

I had such a blast at IM AZ this past November, that I decided to do it all again at IM FL, but this time I'm going with EN. I attended the 4-keys talk before IM AZ and just that made a difference in my race day, so decided to join for 2014.  IM FL 2014 will be my 2nd IM.  

• Options

Trying to make travel arrangements for 2014 IMFL. When will the EN group talk be and the dinner?

• Options
    @ Paul R. l....I don't think it's been officially arranged yet, but last year they (assuming you're talking about the 4 keys talk) were both on Thursday. The talk was around noon, and the dinner about 6 pm that I remember.

Pretty cool that were getting some chatter about it already.....but then again my training plan does start in a little over two weeks image
  • Options

Thanks, that helps.and yes it was the 4 keys talk.

• Options
    Loaded up the Ironman training plan starting today. It now feels much more real. Have to adjust slightly for Lake Stevens and Powerman but pretty much Florida is the main target.
  • Options
    Did IMFL in 2011 and going back this year.  I didn't even have a heart rate monitor, followed some jacked with no intensity up plan leading up to it and had no raceday plan at all but managed a decent finish (12:45).  Going back as a team EN member racing with Power, HR and hopefully even a disc .  Looking forward to meeting everyone.
  • Options

Hi all !!!

This weekend is my race rehearsal for  HIM in Tawas MI, on Sept 8th.  Going to Nationals for the OLY in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Aug 8th. I'm loading up the IM plan on Aug 11th.

I started running in 2002 and did my first Marathon In London, England with Team in Training , Leukemia Society.  I was hooked... came home and signed up for another marathon one month later and continued  running , now 17 marathons under my belt and  I still love to run.  I started biking and did 2 century rides on my mountain bike and loved it. So moved on to a road bike and started riding a lot and loved it as well.I tried to do a sprint one year and really liked it but didn't continue because I had a difficult time with the swim, doesn't work well with the back stroke. LOL! 

One day I walked into the local bike shop" Fraser" and the owner showed me around and WOW they had a bike lab in the basement.  He said everyone was training for the FL Ironman.  I told him I always wanted to do the IM but didn't think I could go  far on the back stroke.  He told me they had a team "Fraser" and a coach who could teach me how to swim . Of course they were training for  FL IM to come join them. So the rest is history. 

My first IM was with team Fraser in 2012 FL.  Swim 1:38:47 , Bike 8:04:42 , Run 6:49:29 / 17:06:00/ and to much time in transition. The race director was so kind he turned the lights back on and gave me my medal.  141.0 miles completed!

At mile 22.5 of the run I took the wrong turn and ended up lost.  It was 11:20pm and time was running out.  So as I paced in the intersection of a road a police officer on a motor cycle asked what was wrong.  I told him I was lost and took the wrong turn twice and only had 40 minutes to finish and couldn't be late.  As I pointed to my Garmin with such force I could have cracked the face.  He was so nice, he lead the way with lights and a few shouts with the siren.  

2014 will be the year!!!  So excited to be with EN!

• Options
    Al Etienne says in the dashboard: "Less than 70 days to go! Let's get some 2014 IMFL activity going on the forum" ....

That said: lets get going!!!!

I´m arriving in Panama Beach the morning of October 28 and plan to do a (driving) bike course recon that same day afternoon (departing from the Boardwalk). Will rent a mini-van ... happy to bring along those interested.

• Options
    Juan, Got this little thing called Powerman first! image Did IMFL in 2008 and graduated HS in Panama City. Not much to preview on the bike course except perhaps road quality. I'm going to drive to my parent's house for Wed night, then come out to the beach for Thu, Fri, Sat night.

At Yvette. Bummer Taco!! You were so close...this will be your year.
  • Options
    Yes it will Paul! Nice to meet you in Grand rapids, and 2015 off to Sweden. 

Excited fo Florida. ..had a great swim today 2.8 miles. Not sure there will be many lake swims let in Michigan. Next weekend is my HIM in Tawas MI. Hope to have my race wheels by then. Just purchased   Reynolds assault/strike wheels.   Have a great week all!!!

• Options
    Hi!

I am Virginia. IM Florida will be my first full. I nervous and excited and a little more nervous and then a lot more excited. Hope to run into some other EN folks at the race!
  • Options
    Hi Virginia, I am across the bay in Tampa and I went to HS in Panama City. My folks still live there so I know it well. I did IMFL in 2008 and this will be my first time back but IM no. 8. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions you don't want to discuss in this forum.

Yvette, raced Powerman Zofingen today in Switzerland. Talked with a guy from Sweden afterwords about Motala. He said to expect water temp of 16c...about 61F.
  • Options
    Hi Virginia,  It's a wonderful venue.  Excited to race as well. See you all there! 
  • Options
    Paul, it sound like a cold one. The coldest swim for me was 65degrees.  I remember it well felt like I was in a bucket of ice water. Will have to get in a good warm up for that cold.
  • Options
    Thanks Paul!  I have been very grateful for the EN holding my hand through the process!
  • Options
    Posting here per Juan. Swim and bike training going well, but can't run. Hurt my left leg pretty bad on the mountains at Powerman Zofingen. I thought it was better and tried running Friday morning. The first mile went well so I started picking up the pace then my left leg buckled completely and I fell down hard in the street. Laid there stunned until I got up and walked home. I Plan on doing lots of elliptical work and hope to jog walk the marathon depending on how my leg feels.
  • Options
    Paul, have you thought of / tried deep water running ? Did so before my prior race recovering from injury and it kept me in descent shape.
  • Options
    I thought about it but I don't have the mental energy to go past 10 mins but I can do an hour on the elliptical.
  • Options

Sorry Paul!  Lets get you to the start line feeling better! First off what did you do to your leg?

I did my race rehearsal a week early. . Thur/swim 1.87 miles in choppy open water.  (was a difficult swim for me, was 6:30pm and was already a long day because of work). Friday worked 12 hour no bike. Saturday Bike was 102 miles. the first 20 were in the rain we had to stop for a half hour till the storm passed. Continued on with  the last 60 miles into the wind. Sunday, rode 60 miles  at the park winds returned and the last 18 miles were rain. Monday the wind Gods decided to return,so 2.5 hour run on the treadmill. Looking forward the next race rehearsal!!!  

I just returned from Chattanooga and signed up for IM in 2015.  I rode the first loop of the bike course. lots of rolling hills, loved it. I returned home and my right leg IT band and glutes  are starting to feel the pain. time to pamper for a few days.

How is everyone else doing?

• Options
    Ivette, I think I just pounded it to death on all the downhills at Zofingen, Switzerland. Literally, all of the running was either straight up or straight down. Despite all the hill prep I could find in Florida my old legs were beat to a pulp. Then I didn't give myself enough recovery afterwards...the story of my life!
  • Options
    Oh! The  energizer bunny keeps going and going!  Rest up...
  • Options
    I did Augusta 70.3 and had a great day. Need to log some serious miles over the next few weeks before IMFL but feeling very confident and looking forward to IMFL. Augusta was my first race as an Team EN member and I learned a lot and realize I have so much more to learn!
  • Options

Jeff, nice work at Augusta! Defiantly, EN is amazing. 

• Options
    Brand new EN member, just finished Augusta 70.3 as well!  Training going well, but anxious to jump in with at least one good RR, solid taper, and a much smarter race than my usual.  7 years racing, always in that 90% not racing so smart..looking forward to meeting u all!
  • Options
    I am in for Florida. Long story that I am happy to share at the Team Dinner.
    Looking forward to meeting all ya'all!
    Joe