Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2014 70.3 Augusta Official Sign In Thread

Welcome to the IM 70.3 Augusts Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    Good afternoon,
    My name is David, I leave in Indy, 51 years old and love to do sport! I signed up for Augusta in September. Never done HMI but a lot of sprint or Olympic distance. I want to try this year longer distance and see how he goes!
    My goal is first to finish it and if i can do it under 6 hours that will be great image
  • Options
    Hello - thomas Jones - first HIM will be Augusta 70.3 - looking forward to it! 43 YO from Atlanta.
  • Options

Hi, 

I'm Don Nowak from Suwanee, GA  (north Atlanta).  Last year was my first year of triathlon - I did 5 sprints and 1 international distance.  This year I will do a duathlon, 2 olympics, and finally Augusta, which will be my first HIM.  I just joined EN this week, so I am excited to get my plan setup and start training.

• Options
    Hi! Margarett Ellison, 47, from Atlanta GA. I did my first triathlon, a sprint, at the end of September last year at Lake Lanier and caught the bug. I have done 3 sprints this season and plan on doing olympic distance at NYC Tri and then Augusta as my first HIM.
  • Options
    Jeff Goudeau here...I've been doing tri's since 2009 this will be my 8th HIM and second time at Augusta. Did it as a deal so I could get into IMFL as well. Looking forward to seeing some of you as I'm brand new to EN. Great course in a great town for those of you who haven't been!
  • Options
    Hi Jeff,

Augusta will be my first HIM. Do you have an old race report you could post or maybe just some course tips from someone whose done it?

Thanks and welcome to EN!
  • Options

Hi Don, it is a great first timer race!  I do not have a race report but I can tell you that the swim is the easiest I've ever done.  Keep in mind that the closer you get to the middle of the river the better the current is and the better off you will be.  It seems most people migrate closer to the shore (at least in my age group they did) so you will have clearer waters and more current to the middle.  The bike course is somewhat hilly and it seems like a good many were in the beginning and the end if my memory is correct.  Nothing remarkable about the bike course that I remember.  Just nail your hydration because the run course can be pretty hot.  There are some areas of the run that have little shade and you will need to keep your body temp down and stay hydrated.  It is a double loop course and that is flat as a pancake and there was more crowd support than any other HIM I've done. It is a well supported race and the bus to swim start can be a bit of a wait but I think we just hit it at the wrong time.  I would check a bag unless you have someone there with you as your transition bag will be a ways away.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!

• Options
    Thanks! By the way, I am from New Orleans. image
  • Options
    Hello my fellow Augusta 70.3ers. I am serving as your race captain this year and I am excited! This will be my 1st HIM.

I just finished the Get Faster plan this weekend with my last Olympic - Iron Abe in Springfield! iL yeaterday.

Let me know if there is anythhing I can do to support you.

Thomas
    Tdjones3@att.net