Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2014 Challenge Atlantic City Official Sign In Thread

Welcome to the Challenge Atlantic City Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    This is my backyard. I live on the same Island as AC about two miles from transition. I am signed up and will hopefully be healthy enough to at least do the aquavelo. If anybody has any questions about the area I would be happy to be of assistance. I did the AC Tri the last three years and some of the logistics will be similar. I also know the race director Stephen Delmonte and he is very athlete oriented. I expect that this will be a succesful event but will be different then WTC for better and worse.
  • Options

Hi everyone!  I'm looking forward to doing this event.  I live in Phoenixville PA, which is a "short" drive to the area.  I'm hoping to do training on or near the course.  Familiarity is a friend! See you out there!!!

• Options
    Hey all from CLT. Can't wait to do the first Challenge in the US. Also glad to know there is someone who has boots on the ground there.
  • Options
    19 weeks out! Wow, I can't believe it. I'm getting excited! Lots to do training-wise...
  • Options
    Finally today after a lot of procrastinating I signed up for the aquabike for Challenge Atlantic City. See ya all there.
  • Options

Hi everyone! I'm psyched that I signed up for this event, but Ruth's post about being 19 weeks out from the race gave me a heart attack! I've basically taken time off from focused training since IMAZ last year. I've been doing workouts, but they have not been geared directly towards prepping for Challenge AC (or any tri, for that matter). Yikes! Need some positive mojo from you guys to get me propped up, psyched to go compete at this event and some reassurance that it's not too late to get myself "race ready"!

I'm now back into hammer mode and dropped into the training plans that Coach R put together for me per my Season Planning Survey. I've got a HIM in May that will be a good gut check for me to let me know where I'm at.

Hope everyone is doing/feeling great! Go EN! image

• Options

Peeps!

I got to meet the race director on Sunday at a local Endurance Sports Expo!  He's such an enthusiastic guy...

The race course routes should be out within a couple weeks.  The loop in Hammonton NJ is done twice... I can't wait to see the "final" course.

Now we're 123 days away.

I'm in week 3 of 20 of the IM Advanced plan... mostly holding up...  Missed a couple workouts but the ones I'm doing seem to be going well for the most part.

Here's to MOJO!  I need mo MOJO too!

• Options
    Recovering from a Hamstring issue which has stopped most of my training for 7 months but I am slowly restarting and have started the IM plan. I have yet to run more the 24 minutes (not continuous) and at a pace of LRP plus 1 minute and biking no harder then 75%. I want to get to the start healthy and be able to complete the distance at about 1 zone less than I would normally try to 'race' an IM. Feels good to be finally heading in a positive direction even if its not ideal.
  • Options

Hey Robert-

I can imagine that this is frustrating for you given how skilled you are with your running! You are a hammer! Glad to see that you're mindset is positive and healthy; something we can all model and learn from when we inevitably experience the setbacks that occur with our bodies in our sport. You're on the right track and it'll be cool to see how far you've come once  you toe the line in June! Keep us posted! image

Wolf

• Options

Hi everyone,

Glad to hear other EN members are signed up for Challenge AC.  I live in CT, where I'm looking out my window at 2 feet of snow, but grew up in S. Jersey and own a home in OC.  This will be my 3rd IM.  I signed up because it's close to home in the summer months, the race directors and Challenge have a proven track record of putting on great races and the course is FLAT I'm 6'4" and 190lbs.  FLAT ROCKS!!!

Goal 1 is to finish and goal two is to figure out a way to break 11:30. 

For anyone that is interested there is a great 1/2 IM, Bassman, the first week of May.  Similar terrain as Challenge, low-key/low cost race and I can offer free housing the night before to a few EN racers that want to race.  Our home in OC is about 30 minutes from Bassman. 

2 feet of snow to racing an IM in 4 months - this should be interesting

• Options
    Hi all - not racing AC this year - but likely will volunteer. Being in NJ and spending a lot of time in this area, this race is on my near "to do" list. Maybe 2015 or 2016. I ride / race often in the area.
  • Options
    Signed up to volunteer this year so I can race this next year. My in-laws have a house in Ocean City so no excuse for me not to help out. I will leave the family there to enjoy themselves and I will go to AC to enjoy this great event. Looking forward to it.

I will be at:

1. Body Marker / Saturday, June 28th from 9:00AM - 2:00PM

2. Bike Catching / Sunday, June 29th from 7:00AM - 12:00PM
  • Options
    Turby and I are both doing the AquaVelo as a race rehearsal. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
  • Options
    I injured my right knee, a real real bummer the MRI showed a lot going on, my operation is scheduled tomorrow. Looks like I'll be Volunteering and cheering. Look forward to meeting everyone!
  • Options

Argh! I'm out of Challenge AC.  Just cancelled my registration for the race and it was a really difficult decision because I was really looking forward to this race and how it played out with the rest of my season. However, I've had a crappy Out Season, just got over about 3 weeks of walking pneumonia and really feel ill prepared to do anything at the moment. Plus, in reviewing work schedule, travel, family commitments, etc, it became painfully apparent that there was no way I was going to have the time to whip myself into shape to have a successful race and do a tune-up race prior (was supposed  to be a half IM in May).

Challenge was really cool about it and refunded me the registration minus a $75 admin fee. I'm hanging onto my hotel reservation for the time being in the outside chance that I can still rally and make something happen and potentially re-register....

I've still got my eyes fixed on the rest of the season though and am looking forward to IMAZ. Bummed I have to miss this one, though!

• Options
    I'm doing Challenge AC as the Bike Leg of a charity relay team, Team ReserveAid. I'm using it as a RR for IMMT. We actually found a really fast swimmer, I plan to destroy myself on the bike, and we also have a sub-3hr runner... All in we are hoping for an 8-handle finish. I'm putting that out here so I'll be motivated to keep pedaling hard in the wind at mile 80 or so... Can't wait to see everyone there.

And Atilla, if you catch my bike, you might have to also keep me from collapsing!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your situations Junior & Wolf - always a hard call to make.

John - I pity the south jersey roads that day cause I have no doubt you will crush a 112 TT. If I was racing I'd be pysched if got a penalty for drafting you....cuase it would at least mean I was really moving....lol
  • Options

Junior,

Hope the surgery goes smoothly and you heal quickly. Be good to your body so that it can take you to new and exciting destinations!

Sending good vibes your way!

• Options

Hey there guys, I will be heading down to Atlantic City for a training camp with Macca and then doing the bike section of the relay on Sunday. using this as a good tune up for IMLP.

• Options
    Simon - very cool - long time no see (Mont Tremblant). Tell us more about that Macca camp.
    You and John Wi will be tearing up the bike course in the relay!
  • Options

Hello Everyone,

I got a chance to do a course recon yesterday.  The swim is going to be fun... Lots of turns but that means easy to see from buoy to buoy.  The water isn't deep.  It was pretty calm yesterday.

The bike course, what I saw of it, is in pretty good shape, with the exception of one section of the loop... but it's not bad for that long.

I hope to get down there several times between now and race day.  Let me know if anyone is heading down... might be fun to meet up.

Note - I switched to the AquaBike... my running took a hit with some bone pain issues... new orthotics on their way...

Ruth Ann

• Options
    Ruth, I am glad you saw the course. A few questions for ya, does the swim course have a current? Also I'm assuming the course is flat for the bike, is it boring? Finally how is the boardwalk? Is it rough on the feet or not?

Thanks

Eric DePoto
  • Options
    I have done the AC TRI OLY with the swim in that bay area and there was no significant tide but that could be slightly different for the challenge but should not be very significant. I do most of my runs on the boardwalk and I was just thinking today that it will be much nicer on the legs then totally on pavement. Almost half of the marathon will be on the boardwalk. The one thing runners don't like is there are lots of walkers on the boardwalk and they might not have a completely pedestrian free zone for the competitors. But good news is there should be lots of crowd support on the boardwalk. The part "south" of the boards ~miles 4 to 12 into Margate (my town) and Longport and back, is pretty homes but may be quiet between water stations. The AC Expressway is a highway but you will be on and off and on and off and the Hammonton loop is pretty country.
  • Options
    Hello All, new to EN this year and still trying to figure out my way around. Will be racing the full 140.6; and while technically not my first 140.6 (Vineman in 1997) it might as well be. Very excited to see what I can put together 17 years later (and then enjoy the summer).
  • Options
    Robert, I just saw your post, thanks for he update.
  • Options

How is everyone doing?  18 days...

Tick Tock!

Ruth Ann

• Options
    Feeling good down here in CLT. I am looking forward to the race and the venue. I will find out about me and family/friends making it to the dinner.
  • Options

Good morning everyone.  Happy Father's Day to all of the Dads out there.

Personally feeling good about Challenge AC.  115 bike/6 mile run yesterday brings to a close the long training.  Live in CT - it's been a cool/wet spring.  Every long weekend ride has involved rain/wet conditions.   Looks like AC i sn't going to be cool or wet on 6/29.

I'm looking forward to getting to our place in OC next weekend.  Born and raised in South Jersey - no better place, in my opinion, then the South Jersey beaches during  the summer. 

Enjoy the taper!!! 

• Options
    Jumping in super late here - just took over a relay swim spot for a friend, all registered and ready to go with only about a week to worry about it. I will be out cheering on the course after I get out of the water.
  • Options

Anyone in the AC area Sunday 6-22 OWS in Longport 8AM small dropin fee for the lifeguards and buoys.  info on oceancityswimclub.org

also a link on that site for a mile Bay swim next Friday 6-27-14 in the evening. 15 min from AC.  Do a warm up for Challenge or workout for relayers or support team  

OC C-cerpents Bay Swim