Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

IS TRISTAR200 (169K Bike, 1K Swim, 30K Run) ACCEPTABLE AS AN "A" RACE"?

I just changed my "A" race from Buffalo Springs 70.3 to the TriStar200 Andalucia, which takes place right here where I live in southern Spain. Very convenient for me.

However, the format is not 70.3 or full IM format in neither distance or in the order of the events. The events, in order, are a 169K bike, 1K swim and 30K run. How will this affect my training? My transistions will be from the bike to the swim and swim to run.

Are there any drawbacks for my training, etc.?

The event: http://star-events.cc/site/index.ph...n2010-date

Jay

Now riding my "Sexy Cervelo" with PowerTap

P.S. I need to do my power test on the bike. I've been riding for a week getting used to watching the power vs heart rate, etc, reading "Training and Racing with a Power Meter".

Comments

• Options

First, it's your race, your season, your goals.  Don't really think it's appropriate for anybody else to tell you what is or isn't appropriate.  If you want to, then do it.  We each chose our events for our own reasons.

Second, it seems like distance-wise, it's a 3/4 Iron-distance, but with a very short swim, which happens to be in the wrong place.  Seems like the EN-flavor plans will leave you well trained for such an event.  I'd reach out to the coaches as to how exactly to handle the build to the race (whether you should follow a HIM or IM plan as-is, or modify a bit).  But I'd follow the OS as-is to build up the bike and run speed, for sure.  Especially with such a short swim, taking time off from swimming probably won't hurt your overall time at all.

As for race execution guidance, you'll probably need to tweak it a touch, since

1. you're HR wont' be high in the first 30 min of the bike, since you didn't just swim
    2. you're not getting off the bike to immediately start running
    3. there's that pesky swim thing, leaving your HR high to start the run

So, I'd guess you might be able to bike a touch hotter than an IM, then pace the swim as appropriate, and then take the first 6 miles of the run extra-slow (maybe 40-50s per mile instead of the usual 30).  Just my first thought.  But, of course, that's a long way away, and not really worth worrying about right now.

Mike