Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

2014 Ironman Texas Pre-Race Webinar Now Uploaded...

Thanks to all of you who attended the Pre Race Webinar last night!!! 

I just uploaded yesterday's webinar as a movie, MP3 and PDF slides for your viewing pleasure into the Wiki;  Wiki / Race Execuction / Texas -- http://members.endurancenation.us/R...+Resources

As you head through the next few weeks you'll have questions, challenges and issues...please continue to support one another and leverage the Team for all of our experience. Of course, I am here too...

Only a few more weeks to go!!!

Comments

• Rr#1: complete. But I'm not ready for raceday. Yet.
    I had planned to drive out to a great smooth stretch of road and do out and backs. Flat. Maybe 1200ft of gain for 112 mi. Life intervened and I ended up doing the 55mi loop out my from door twice. Very convenient. But about 3500ft of gain. Ugh. I was not ready for it. 110mi at an IF of .71 took 6:09.
    And it got hot. High of 90 today. Welcome to reality.
    At mile 90 I was cottonmouthed and craving water so I stopped at a convenience store and drank two bottles. I think that the heat and all the sodium got to me. The ride took about 25 min longer than anticipated. Yes it as hot, yes it was windy but I think that Thea hills slowed me down. It was a real grind and when I got home I had already decided that I was not running. I was cooked. After some ice water I was coming around to walking for an hour. Just to finish the workout. Then my wife nudged me out the door and I ran. Target pace was 10min/ mi but I went too fast. The first 3mi were mostly downhill so I rationalized 9:30's because I was descending. I figured that on the way back up I would do 10:30's and it would even out. But I didn't. After mi 4 was still under 10min, I took to taking an extra walk break mid mile to try and slow down. I wonder about this as a strategy. My body wants to shuffle at 9:25 or so and it feels awkward to go slower. I KNOW that going slower will feel quite natural later in the race but if I can't slow down early on, I might just walk more.

My neck and lower back were feeling it towards the end of the ride. After the disk injury to my neck in January, I am just recently able to look up the road in aero. As a result, my positional fitness needs some work. Luckily, that comes pretty quick.

I'm glad this one is over. And I am really glad I finished. I have had a number of setbacks in this train up. I may not produce the kind of result that I had originally hoped. That is life. Onward!

I hope to put in 4 hrs on the bike tomorrow. I need to see what the expectations are for intensity. I'm not sure what kind of legs I will be waking up to tomorrow. We shall see.

I hope that everyone else had a great Thursday. Thanks for all the support.