Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

Week 8 of 12 IMTX-The Forging

13»

Comments

• Nice Swims everybody!

@Linda with a 1:02 estimated swim you deserve to be upfront with the fish.... I go up front, and willingly take my lumps, all for a minute or two possible better swim.... I'm slower than you and I have only regretted this strategy once and that was at IMMT.... IMTX has a very wide start ....

Travel Week is done.... 5 days driving , 31 miles run in eight 3-4 mile sessions to stay active . Here in NH Inside house temp was 46 , outside temp is 46, tonight 28 and high tomorrow 53..... Turned on heat and water in the house after having winterized last fall.... Plumbing failures in one bathroom forced a call to a plumber.... Isolating that room we were able to turn the water on to the rest of the house and the heat is running (he is coming back for the major repairs on Monday)... My bike was mailed via Fedex thru shipbikes.com and was supposed to arrive today.... Something is up and new ETA is for Monday.... There was a big Fedex Truck accident and I hope my bike wasn't part of that.... I have a date with my old Quintana Roo on the Computrainer tomorrow since there is NOWAY I'm riding outside.... The lake is still frozen and might be record ice out this year....
  • Had to switch Friday's workout to Thursday, so Thursday's long run was done today. 2:45 = 19 miles. Left calf muscle started pulling while in Z1 got better when I got to Z2.  Hopefully, I can get worked out over the weekend. - http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/3PN2BBG3KUJ2BR7QQULDHFRMJU

• @ Bill - 19 mile long run is a lot of work any way you cut it!  Congrats on getting that one done!

I went into today's run/bike still fatigued from Thurs run but managed through it.  Weather was beautiful/pristine today!

Run: http://www.strava.com/activities/131824491  5 miles with a 1X1 @ Z4

Bike: http://www.strava.com/activities/131994252  Century but had to fight through that one on every one of the 8X25' intervals due to the fatigued legs.......what doesn't kill you............

Hope all are having a safe and quality day!  Happy Easter!

• ..Deja Vu...almost again...101miles/5:30hrs on the bike (149NP...my target was 150-155) which included a trip into the gaping maw of a pothole which then launched off the bike around mile 45 (ironically about a half mile from the site of my accident 2 years ago)......luckily I landed with out breaking anything of importance on me or the bike...lost a bottle cage and a bottle...5 min. dustoff, head shaking, and swearing and I was on my way....finished things of with 6miles/50min. of running (8min. pace running with 30 steps/sec. permile to fluidize/fuel).....a good day! 
  • Geez Joseph. Im not sure that I am even competing in the same sport as you.
    Had to cut it short today. 1hr run and 3 hr bike. 7 marathons and this is the most running that I have ever done in a single week. Glad that he running starts to taper off next week. Bike is coming around but I cold really use a few more weeks of riding outside!
  • @Joe L..... Glad your tough and OK after your crash!

Getting settled in NH... Its still freaking winter here... WTF? House warmed up over night.... Set up the old QR on the CT and built a 5hr ride on TR for today that somehow ended up 5:08 LOL.... Bike is very different , seat , crank , gears , position , pedals, etc but its all I had and my bike isnt gonna get here till Monday....Definitely found the trainer to be a struggle for that duration even though I did a bunch of long trainer rides last year.... Was planning a brick but bagged it in the end... Planning a long split run tomorrow!
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/911636-5hr-for-IMTX-2014
  • Chip, glad you survived the wreck intact. Stay safe. Sounds like a lot of good Saturday work going on out there. Strong storm came through this morning, but was mostly out of here by 10, so I headed out. Got rained on for a bit. But then the sun came out and really cooked me in the heat, wind and humidity. Perform stayed cold for about 10 minutes, so it seemed like I was drinking warm Perform every 30 seconds. Couldn't get enough. Followed the century with a 3-mile brick run just to see what it was like to run in 88 degrees of afternoon sun. Honestly, I was glad I didn't have to do the last 23.2. Make sure to fit in quality FAUs tomorrow. I know I will.
  • If I got sick on week 16 of 20 and did not train because of illness should I start trainnig in week 17 normal? Its a week of tests...
  • 50 min pre-ride run done.  Legs just felt like crap.  Anyone else finding that Z2 now feels like Z4?  

http://app.strava.com/activities/131908467

Decided during the first few hours of the 5hr ride, that I probably won't do the ABP ride tomorrow (low priority, on call, Easter, yard is out of control, supposed to rain, legs are smoked, sick and tired of the bike!....is that enough excuses to justify it!) so I turned the ride into an ABP ride and rode it harder than prescribed.  Finished with IF of 0.76 (was trying to hold 0.77 but that last hour the legs just wouldn't cooperate).  Beautiful day here.  First 4hours felt pretty good, but there is a reason why my goal IF for race day is not 0.76!  90 miles in 5hrs.  

http://app.strava.com/activities/132061114/analysis

Solid work all around today, including a bunch of poor souls stuck on the trainer for 5hours and a pothole that almost claimed Joseph.  Glad you were able to get up and "dust off" and then ride another 50miles!  That's impressive (and a little lucky!).  

How in the world am I gonna do an FTP test Tuesday?  Really?....Is that a joke.....ha ha Coach R....very funny.  

• Posted By Juan Francisco Abril Frener on 19 Apr 2014 06:12 PM

If I got sick on week 16 of 20 and did not train because of illness should I start trainnig in week 17 normal? Its a week of tests...

Juan....my answer would be yes (coaches usually say not to try to "make up" workouts).  But, this is a good question to ask Coach P, esp given the importance of the workouts right now.  If you have a micro thread already started, ask him there.  If not, start one and ask him.  The veterans will probably chime in too though.  

• Due to the monsoon that sat on top of NC yesterday, I did my very first (and hopefully last) 5 hour trainer day. Holy moly, @annie you are one tough cookie girl. The fact that you have done that consecutively for your training is amazing. Glad that is over. I bagged the run for a family day/night instead and had the best rainy day afternoon/pizza/movie night with my 3 boys (hubs included). Planning to run before the ABP bunny hop today.

I'm planning to reach out to P about this, but I'm guessing he won't see it until after Boston, so putting it here too. We've got a wedding on Friday night in Charleston. What do you guys think about switching my RR to Thursday, and doing my long run on Sat so I can hang with the fam on the beach in the afternoon?

Happy Easter y'all!
  • @EB, assuming you're building in a second bike RR into Wk 17 to accommodate your HIM? In my simple view of the world, 95% of our work is done, and we're just adding some durability and keeping the tanks full at this point. So, if you get a solid LR and LB next week, you're golden. In fact, your hack may allow you to get an ABP ride in on Sunday if you want. But this will leave you with one short run between now and next Sat (on Wed), which is a long stretch to go before jumping back in with a LR. So, you may want to squeeze in another slow run or two into the week. But this is coming from a MOP non-coach, so hopefully P will lead you straight.
  • @JL - I got major stink eye when I told the mrs that I would not be around for the easter egg hunt this morning because I would be riding. So much so that I didn't even push the issue. Had a good morning with the kids. Hoping that I will get to go out and work later. But the truth is that Im shelled and missing today would not be the end of the world.
  • ok well, got a kitchen pass to ride while fan was at the movies. 2:20 of planned 4 hrs. pooped out. There are some amazingly hardworking folks in this group. I do not seem to quite be one of them. Bu the truth is that I am able to train a bit harder for this race then the last one. Onward!
  • 80 miles...if someone had said last week...you will ride 100miles on Saturday...and another 75-100 on Sunday...and feel better on your Sunday ride than you did on your Saturday ride...Ida thought they were crazy...but sure enough I did...I was within 5watts of yesterday (lower) but same pace...and lower avg. HR....go figure........long run tommorrow...feelin pretty good 'bout things....

• 2 more weeks of work left and then its taper time!

Wrapped up a weird week for me today due to traveling and BTW last week.... Weekly totals were 1 swim 2600yds , 1 5hr bike , 55.7 miles run in 10 sessions with 8 of them being 3-4 miles.... Today was big run day with 24.2 miles total in two sessions.... 2hr AM session and 1hr PM session.... Back to a normal schedule this week!
  • Saturday - Took my daughter and her friends to amusement park and I got my Sunday bike ride in. It was pretty cool 65 degrees with lots of cross winds but I was outside and not on the trainer.  65 miles over 4 hour period, focused on power reading and not getting hit( lots of road traffics with no real shoulder to work with). http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/NXRCKI4XWEX542SKH7F5UUYPIM

Sunday - Early morning start, temp 45 degrees warmed up to 60 by the end of the ride. 82 miles over 5:30 period. One more long weekend to go. http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/IOXTFLNKXV5JV7FIUH4DNX6FFU

• All I could manage (training-wise) today was 1 hour on trainer, which was "recovery".  I tried to hold .7, but legs are just thrashed so I just spun and broke a sweat.  Stick a fork in me....  I hadn't planned to ride at all, but got to feeling guilty by afternoon.  I went hard yesterday, so I guess I'll be ok.  It is what it is!  1 hr at 0.6 on trainer.  I'll spare you all the link!

However, I did do some serious work today, just no TSS points:

Church, then lunch with the family, followed by mowing the yard (12 bags of leaves collected), edging/trimming, planted two plants, trimmed hedges, cleaned the leaves out of the flower beds, one trip to Lowe's......7+ hours of work in the yard!  Earned some SAUs, made the kids help a little.  A good day! 

• Man, lots of solid Wk 17 weekend work just got done! I think that light may signify the end of the tunnel ahead.

I was a bit tired yesterday, so as soon as I hit 2xIM for the week (224 miles), I called the ABP ride good. Adding that to the 16.7k yards of swimming and 43 miles of running, I spent nearly 23 hours on this hobby last week. Certainly not a Cronkesque BTW, but plenty enough for this mortal. Looking forward to a relatively tame Wk 17.

P.S. I decided to wear my EN race singlet on Saturday's ride to get some sun on the newly-exposed lats. Even with a thick layer of 50 spf sport lotion, I got more than a little tan. Ouch! But I'd rather do it now than on 5/17.
  • @MR My bad -- I skipped a week ahead. For some reason I thought we had our RR2 this weekend.... guess I'm just getting excited. I'm still hoping to switch my LB to a weekday if I can make it work.

Hope everyone had a great Easter. It was a gorgeous day in Charlotte. Spent the morning with the family and had brunch at our house after church, which only gave me a short window to get ABP done. I got in 2 hours on the bike followed by a quick brick just to get my blood going.

BIKE: http://www.strava.com/activities/132580028
    RUN: http://www.strava.com/activities/132584085

Just saw that they have bib numbers posted... http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/texas/athletes/bib-lists.aspx#axzz2zWTHu44i
  • @ EB -- thx for posting the link to bib numbers!

@ All -- don't forget to update your bib #s on the IMTX admin spreadsheet 

catching up on posting after a travel week last week. two solid Long Runs in Belgium, including one last Wednesday where I held a 6:57 pace for an hour. arrived back in NJ feeling good about my run. bike intervals + run on Good Friday, then a tough Long Bike on Saturday -- legs felt heavy, too much admin time, not enough aero, lots of traffic, etc. cut it 30 min short and joined my family at an Egg Hunt, which was a good call. no ABP yesterday, but I did get a 40' run in with 1 mile @ Z4

solid swim this morning -- one of the few times i've tacked on the optional set at the end, so was in the pool 1hr15min. arms shot by the end, but felt good to be back in the pool

testing day tomorrow! two weeks of solid work left! woohoo!