Home General Training Discussions
Options

Raise the Ceiling vs. the roof

Can anyone shed some more light on what the difference is between raising the ceiling and raising the roof?  I'm not entirely clear on the difference between the interval training in this part of the OS vs. the type of training that occurs when we shift to trying to "lift VO2 max".

Comments

• Options
    Ceiling = Threshold (1 hour) power
    Roof = VO2max power

When Ceiling gets close to the roof, you need to raise the roof in order to keep raising the ceiling.

• Options
    Mark,

Lots of information over in the 4.0 forum. I also recorded 2 videos on this for the OS plans, Week 2 and 9. Please check.
  • Options

Rich,

I just watched the video on OS I believe wk 2. You mentioned that we do 8 weeks for FTP then "x" of VO2max then back to FTP. Are we to attempt to exceed out FTP numbers during the first 8 weeks IF we can hold them for all the intervals OR do we just hammer the FTP and be satisfied with that? I'm sure just meeting our FTP with longer duration intervals will be a challenge by itself.

Vince

• Options

Vince -

IF your FTP is 250, and you can do all the intervals at 250 (whether 8, 12, 15 mins) with no problems, then yes, you can try riding them at 255, or 260...BUT ONLY if you can hold that new number for a full interval. So for week 1 of "tougher" you, you might do 3x8' as:

8' @ 260, then 8' @ 255 then 8' @ 250.  That's good.

If you do 260, then 250, then die at 235, then that's too much!

Hope that helps,

Patrick

• Options

Thanks Patrick.

I rode outdoors on Sat and held much higher wattages than I test I'm sure because I test on the trainer for consistency sake. 20+ watts higher on the road.

I will ride Tues wo as prescribed with my last tested FTP because the duration jumps 50% over last week. Thurs I will try higher wattages for the 2x effort and see how it works.

I have a new ride being built up and may have pics at the end of the week!!! 

Vince