Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP Week 7 Training ( 14 Weeks until race day )

I will be creating a weekly thread until race day. This is a great place to discuss how you training is going, get feedback, support and direction if needed. Let's give each all the support we can leading up to the race so you can the most prepared. By the way I will be your race captain this is my first IMLP and third full. I look forward to making new friends and reacquainting with some old friends

Comments

• Options
    One of the challenges on living on a small island like Nantucket is that we only have one public swimming pool which belongs to the school. It is school break week and the hours have changed. No early morning swim.
  • Options
    Simon....

Thanks for introducing yourself and getting things started. I'm looking forward to posting workouts, questions, and just chatting as well. Good luck with your training.
  • Options

Hey boy's and girl's my fav IM for sure. Was there this weekend,stoked to get out! I will be there alo(LP)l till you do your race. It is my 5 th LP and I feel I know it well. Talk ask questions enjoy the group vibe !

• Options
    I think I need more than 14 weeks to prepare! :-x

I've been seriously lacking in motivation lately so maybe it will help to start posting in here. It seems like everything I do causes some sort of random injury and it's getting a bit frustrating.
  • Options
    Jen we are here for you in any capacity you need. What injuries are you dealing with ?
  • Options
    Right now it's a shoulder thing. My doctor has told me to stop swimming altogether but she's very anti sports in general so I'm waiting to get a 2nd opinion from a sports medicine guy. The Danish healthcare system has only one speed setting - glacial - so I'll probably be waiting til after IMLP for that though. I guess I should be glad it's "just" my shoulder right now since the swim is the part I'm least worried about. :-)

I did get in a good run though last night. I tried running just by how I feel zone wise instead of focusing on the pace so much and I ended up about 10 seconds per km faster than I should have been going so maybe it's time to retest. 

• Options
    The Danish healthcare system sounds very similar to the UK. Nice job on the run. That's the great part about triathlons you can always focus on something else.
  • Options
    Having experienced the UK healthcare system, I can say that the Danish system is worse... :-) At least people are more friendly towards bikers over here though.
  • Options
    Good morning IMLP Team! I hope everyone's training has been, and keeps going well. I have had a consistent block of training this past week as we are in the middle of April vacation in MA as my wife and I are both teachers. I had to switch a few workouts up as I am heading to south Jersey to visit relatives. I also planned my first tri of the season down there on Sunday....just to get the race feeling going again. I will also be adding some bike mileage to the end of the race in making sure I am getting the correct workout in. Have a good weekend and keep those posts coming!
  • Options
    Just joining the team and saying hi. Training has been going well, especially bike and running. Swimming has been slightly impacted due to pool availability and schedule, especially this week since I'm dealing with the pool closure due to school vacation week as well.

Jen- hope the 2nd opinion works out and you have a quick recovery.
    Pete- Have fun on Sunday.
  • Options
    Chris welcome to the team best desicion you have made. Have a great training weekend.

Peter have a great race Sunday. Doing a local 5k Sunday. Going to do my bike workout first and then see what we got in the legs.
  • Options

Just checking in on this thread

Lake Placid will be my first iron distance triathlon - full or half. Very excited!!

Completed the November OS and now in the IM plan. Have been keeping up with the run and bike workouts. Finally warm enough (well just barely) to ride outside on the weekends. I have fallen behind on my swimming, but hope to be on track in the next week or so. My focus will be more on technique to get me through the swim.

I will also be at the EN LP camp in June. Looking forward to meeting fellow teammates in person, and riding/running the course.

Cheers

• Options
    How was everybody's training this weekend. I had a rainy windy ride in Saturday got in just 2 hours. Sunday got a 2 hour ride followed by a local 5k. Ran a pr 20.27. Super happy about that. Quassy is about 5 weeks away. Anybody else racing Quassy ?
  • Options
    @simon- yes, racing Quassy. Coaches have me moving from the half to full plan next week. I'm feeling ok about Quassy at this point, but feeling nervous about my lack of distance on the bike at this point for IMLP...

Just out of curiosity, for those of you in the full IM plan now, how long are the bike rides this week? Half plan is maxing out at 3 hours right now. Am I crazy to be anxious?
  • Options
    @Brad the ride distances are very similar over the weeks. Stick to your plan and you will be fine. Quassy will be a great measuring stick to find out where you are at.
  • Options
    Great thread Idea Simon, keep it up.

• Options
    Seems like everyone is getting it done this week......nice job to all. While visiting the in-laws in South Jersey this weekend I added a sprint tri to my week to get the race experience flowing again. Goals were simple...nail down pre and post race routines, get used to those butterflies again, get used to some new eqt, and don't "redline" so I could ride for another 2 hours after the race.

Met all goals! Actually finished 23rd out of 321 and 2nd in my age-group, but more happy with focusing on things other than numbers this early in the season. I don't want a sprint tri throwing my training off!

Good luck with week 8.
  • Options
    @peter nicely done sir.
  • Options
    Congratulations Peter. That same thing happened to me in a half-marathon a couple of weeks ago. I just ran the numbers for my Sunday run and ended up with a PR. Feels great when you do what you are supposed to and something good happens. I have a Sprint in a couple of weeks (hopefully the water warms up a little) and I am planning on the same strategy. (Followed by the rest of my bike for the day per the training plan)
  • Options
    Good luck with test week.