Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Week 12…9 To Go

OK, according to Coach P's podcast this week, now we're Really Training for an Ironman. And just in time, the weather has turned in the Pac NW - promising to be sunny and WARM all week, maybe a record 80 on Thursday. I'll be doing a 5K on Sunday for my run test, and the swim TT on Friday, so today I plugged in last week's bike intervals (which I missed while in Boston), as I just can;t get up for three tests in a week. I'll do the weekend rides on Wed and Thurs.

Yesterday, I did Monday's swim (Sun AM is when I earn SAUs swimming with my wife). You'd think I'd know what "descend" means in the wkos. In the past, I did each of the three sets of 3 x 100 faster than the previous set; this time, I did the descend within each set. It seemed to make a little more sense then going the slowest with the longest rest interval, and trying to do all three of the 10" RIs at my sprint pace. Looking back at previous year's efforts, I'm basically the same speed no matter which way I do it: 1:45, 1:39, 1:34.

I also did my first real brick of the year after the bid trainer intervals: 4.7 mi in 40 minutes. Whenever I feel like not swimming or bricking, I remind myself, "This is what makes us triathletes." Meaning, the swimming and the bricks are what separate us from single sport cyclists and runners.

Comments

• Options
    I count 9 weeks until the race (62 days)....do we not count race week?
  • Options

OK, 9! I didn't bother to count on the calendar or check my training plan page (were it clearly says 9 weeks to go), just subtracted 12 (the week we're in?) from 20, and wrote down 8. I was never very good at arithmetic, anyway. Math, algebra, calculus I could handle just fine. Adding and subtracting, not so much. That's why Ive worn a calculator watch since 1976!

• Options
    Does this week feel "easy" to anyone else? A lot less running this week which almost makes me feel like i'm tapering. Bring on the IM build!
  • Options
    That FTP test didn't feel too easy, but you are right about the running. Last week I did 35 miles, this week I will be just shy of 20. I am happy with a bit of running rest to prepare for next week's 2 hour run.
  • Options

Ah ha! Thanks Al for pointing me to these threads and for creating them.

I'm not really "testing" this week but am taking the spirit of recovery.  I felt really good about the outdoor tests I did 4x weeks ago and don't have the flexibility to pull off another round outdoors again this week.  I AM dnjoying a little breather after being full steam ahead for so long.  Even did some yoga yesterday - shocker!  

Doing the "camp" weekend on the course Memorial Day weekend.  Exciting!  

• Options
    Just completed the 5k run test for a 20:36. Improved my time by 29s and bumped my vDot up 2 points. Probably could have gone harder. It was just me and a high school track at 5 AM.
  • Options
    @Chris Congratulations! I am very happy with my run test this morning as well. Garmin says 18:00.30 and Strava says 17:56, but either way same vdot of 56! (1 point bump). Glad I don't have to do that again until after ICMDA!
  • Options
    Didn't realize that was the last run test on the IM plan.
  • Options
    Yeah, I checked ahead. There is one more FTP test but the run that week is a 3:00 race rehearsal. I will be very lucky to pull off my predicted pace on the IM run so I have no desire to bump up any higher at this point. I would like an FTP bump though! The next few weeks have pretty tough mid week bike sessions so I am hoping it gives me the boost I am looking for!
  • Options

Posted By Chris Oubre on 01 May 2014 06:04 AM

Just completed the 5k run test for a 20:36. Improved my time by 29s and bumped my vDot up 2 points. Probably could have gone harder. It was just me and a high school track at 5 AM.

Awesome - bet you could go sub 20 in a race with people!

• Options

Posted By Peter Noyes on 01 May 2014 11:14 AM

Yeah, I checked ahead. There is one more FTP test but the run that week is a 3:00 race rehearsal. I will be very lucky to pull off my predicted pace on the IM run so I have no desire to bump up any higher at this point. I would like an FTP bump though! The next few weeks have pretty tough mid week bike sessions so I am hoping it gives me the boost I am looking for!

Peter - better not count on any FTP bump at this stage of training - if anything, the usual pattern is a disappointing test with a lower FTP. I simply don't test in the last 2-3 months before an IM, to avoid that  The accumulating fatigue will override any efforts you might make on the weekly interval work - you just can't get enough rest if you are doing all the training at this point in the plan, to expect a good outcome on an FTP test. But then, you may just be a contrarian and beat the odds?

• Options

I got a short mild cold this past week, probably from the combo of running a marathon, high-fiving a lot of kids along the way, and returning on a 6 hour plane ride. So I took Tuesday totally off, and yesterday could only handle 45 minutes of the swim workout plus a 2 hour "recovery ride" (IF of 0.62). Today, I managed the Saturday ride of 4.5 hours, hitting the 6 x 25 intervals @ 0.75-76, and throwing in a couple of 0.90 efforts x 4 minutes on some hills in the last hour. Still didn't have the energy for a run, especially considering we're having a mini-heat wave (2 days @ 83F), but I managed 210 TSS, and got my nutrition plan more dialed in. Tomorrow will be the swim test - hope to better the 16:36 I did in Jan (just five years ago I was over a minute faster - warning to all you youngsters, enjoy your speed while you can), and Sunday a local 5K for the run test - goal there is to sustain my 46 VDOT, and stay at the 21:07 I did last year (VDOT calculator says I need 21:02 for 47). No FTP test (see my comment to Peter previously.)

• Options
    Good stuff guys.  I'm encouraged reading these posts.  I've had a pretty good week of workouts.  My FTP test went well and I saw an increase from my last test in February.  It's the virtual power from TrainerRoad...so I assume their FTP number is over-stated, but at least it's a consistent measurement as both tests were done on the trainer using the virtual power.  

I'm still not running - trying to get my calf fixed - seeing my ART guy 3x per week. I did 50 minutes of deep water running this morning in lieu of the 5k test.  It sucked but I got it done. I'm looking forward to the swim test tomorrow & the long rides this weekend.  Getting the volume on the bike has been a confidence booster for me - seems like each week I'm navigating farther and farther into uncharted territory.  I just wish I was able to run.

I asked coach P for a "how should I transition back to running" plan & here was his response:

David - hard to say whether or not it's a right time for you to start. But I can say that when you do start, you want to do so in a very simple and measured way.

My favorite reintegration protocol is having you run 15 minutes four times a week. This is best done off the bike when you're already warmed up, and ideally on a flat soft or safe surface. This isn't about fitness right now it's about warming up…getting ready to really run in another week or so.

Having your first run back before half miles is too much. We have to separate your mental goals from your physical reality. Right now the reality is in charge.

So this week is 4 x 15 minutes off the bike, or given the abbreviated nature of this week perhaps just two more. The next week we looked to bump that up to 20 minutes, and the following week we try and run solo two or three times about 35 to 40 minutes each.

No intensity please

Finally, I'm in the process of trying to get a power meter on my bike which I think will be super helpful for me.  I find on these long rides that I'm all over the place in terms of intensity, heart rate & RPE...so I'm hoping a PM can take some of the ambiguity out of the picture.

Keep going!!

• Options
    Woohoo! Finished my run test in 20:02. Haven't run this fast in 8 years! I did a better job of starting steady and holding it to the end. Last run 4 weeks ago was 20:48, so I am feeling pretty sky-high. Little bit afraid of my new run paces, but it is worth it! Good luck to all with the long rides this weekend!
  • Options
    Nice work everybody!

@ Peter - I can only dream of getting to a sub 18 minute, 56 vdot!

I got a vdot bump as well on the run test, finished in 21:01 which is a personal best for me! I was shooting for sub 21...close enough though. The swim test this morning was 14:58 so some improvement here down to 1:30/100 vs previous 1:31.
  • Options

Mediocre swim test - no change from January, still @ T pace of 1:40. I guess the lingering cold and 4.5 hours/215 TSS bike ride yesterday might have something to do with it? Oh well, it's still 2 minutes faster than when I had to reconstruct my swim stroke 3 years ago, but a minute slower than six months before that.

Rain expected Sunday morning - should I still race a $40 5K (haven't paid the fee yet)?

• Options
    Ugh, well I got my 40 minute run in this morning but 2 hours into my bike I dropped my chain which locked up instantly and bent a link. Not good, managed to ride it back to the car with the rear derailleur shifting every time the bent link came through. One new chain later, and it looks like I'll be doing 4 1/2 hours tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your chain Steve. That stinks!

I got my 4 1/2 hours in but it was no fun. Was never really able to get into the groove...the last two hours felt like I was just struggling to hang on. Ended up getting about 73 miles done. Then....following coach P's protocol to get me back running I went 15 minutes (well...okay it was actually 16 minutes) at about 9:30 pace. Besides being tired and mentally whipped from the ride I felt pretty good running. no calf issues at all - which was encouraging to say the least. I'll try another 15 minutes tomorrow after my ride.

I took in about 2150 calories while on the bike which works about to about 477 per hour. I was down 1lb after the workout.
  • Options
    Just finished the 4 1/12 hr ride and looked at where I stopped the Garmin and... 140.6 km - thought that was kind of cool! Saw three dead porcupines on the road and one happily alive mule deer on the side! This was my first long ride outside without being able to use the virtual power of Trainer Road. I tried to stay in the same heart rates as my repeats on the trainer last Saturday, but it felt hard to dial the effort in with hills, wind, and just being outside. Feel pretty wiped right now and am glad I put the run before the bike. Looking forward to my first group ride tomorrow to get the 3 hr ABP ride in - interesting to see if I will have legs left after today. Hope everyone else can avoid wrecked chains, flats, and porcupines!
  • Options
    My wife is out of town this weekend so I am doing solo parenting, so training is a little tricky. This morning I did the run pushing my 2 year old son. I still managed to hit Z4! Tonight I will do the 4.5 hour ride after he goes to bed. Wish me luck, I have never done more than 3 hours on the trainer. I need to figure out what movies to watch!
  • Options
    I was only able to do 4 hours. I did the 6 25' intervals, but it was already 12:30 AM, my legs were shot, and the fan in my garage sucks so I threw in the towel. I still consider it a success!
  • Options

Posted By <a href='http://members.endurancenation.us/ActivityFeed/tabid/61/userid/3949/Default.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>Peter Noyes</a> on 04 May 2014 02:53 AM
    I was only able to do 4 hours. I did the 6 25' intervals, but it was already 12:30 AM, my legs were shot, and the fan in my garage sucks so I threw in the towel. I still consider it a success!
    What you did was probably of greater training value than a 4.5 hour ride outdoors.