Home WSM Admin
Options

TSR Feature, for WSM beta testing

Greetings WSM's!

We've been hard at work on a neat little feature that we think you'll enjoy. As you know, when I currently create a Triathlon Season RoadMap for a member, it's delivered and lives on in an email that the user has to find and reference, vs being something that's viewable on the site...until now. We've brought this tool inside for the members, where it, and other TSRs I create for you, will live on your TSR page. 

I could use your help and input to proof this out:

1. Please go to the Triathlon Season RoadMap page, which lives under the Training tab at the top of the website. 
  2. Complete the survey to give me your race schedule.
  3. Please take note of any notification pages and emails you received after you complete the survey.
  4. I'll do your TSR and you'll receive a prompt to view it. 
  5. Just click on that link and give me feedback here on the end product.

Note that I know I need to tweak the template text that displayed on the finished TSR page, what you see after I'm done on my end. 

Thanks for your prompt feedback! We are excited to begin to roll this out to the Team, with your help!

Comments

• Options
    Great idea to have this integrated into the site!

I just filled in my TSR...
    One initial comment is that you might want a comment section on the race input part. For instance, I'm only doing the bike leg of a relay for Challenge AC which will have substantially less recovery time (like 1-2 days) vs the 2-3 weeks if I was doing the whole race. I'm also doing the AmZof long course this yr which is almost as punishing on my legs as a full IM. This is way different than the short course or middle distance that many people will do. Finally, I'm planning on attending the EN IMMT camp. Might make sense to have a part where we can either add those EN camps in or any other rogue bike camps we may already have on the calendar. Had I done this TSR survey in February, I would have already known about the 3 bike camps I had on the calendar this yr...
  • Options

Ok, thanks. I can change the name of that "tell us about your training" field to ask them to include additional notes for me like yours above. 

The race name, date jazz needs to be clean, as we do some dbase stuff with that on the back end. We can't have that cluttered with notes. 

• Options
    And good idea on the camps. We can put those into the race drop down and people can select them...though I guarantee that someone will think that means the camp is free and they'll just show up :-)
  • Options

JW, 

Back at you and some notes from me to our developer:

WSM's are submitting these and I'm seeing a few things:

• Are the notes that people give me when submitting their survey (notes about their training, injuries, races, etc) saved and available for review afterwards? John Withrow gave me some good detail his notes but I realized that those notes went away, or at least I couldn't see them, after I created their TSR. Maybe they can be pulled into a Your Notes for Coach Rich text box that lives above the TSR screenshot?
    • We need a label / divider between the screenshot and the screencast. Below is my budget attempt at a screenshot with notes.
    So the order of the output/material on the TSR page would be:

• My template text
    • Your notes for Coach Rich -> pulls in this text above
    • Your Triathlon Season RoadMap (TSR)
    • Your TSR Screencast

• Options
    Thanks Rich, looks good. And agree a screenshot of the notes would be useful, but you're already on that. The email I got was very clean. And when I clicked the link in it I went exactly where I needed to go. The instructions were very simple and clear and should answer many of the questions I see newbies drop onto the dashboard or in the forums, dare I say it seems idiot proof... We used to have a saying when I was an engineer, "if you make something idiot-proof, they'll just make a better idiot". Btw, nice touch when I submitted knowing how far back in the cue I was, I have to believe that will be at least a little helpful for people during the meat of the membership drives when you're swamped with these things.

One other minor thing I thought of when I looked at my TSR. I remember way back when I was just a little boy in my first yr with EN doing my first IM. I did my own TSR on a color coded spreadsheet following the format of others. I put on there (in a different color) the race rehearsal days for my IM. These don't seem like such a big deal to me now since I have done so many of them, but back then it was my first (and 2nd) ever 8 hour training day (when considering transition and pre and post workout stuff) they were a big damn deal. So I took them very seriously and literally planned my weekends far in advance for special childcare, etc. that's not the type of thing a newbie should pop open the EN website on a Friday to see what heir workout is the next day and say, "hmmmm 8 hour workout tomorrow". If they were in their TSR in like blue or something, they would know well ahead of time that they are REALLY important for the success of their season and they should plan ahead accordingly.

Again, not trying to mess up the coding-fu you guys already have in place, and I don't think it matters for any races other than an IM, but thought you guys were looking for any and all feedback.
  • Options
    Ok, I can add notes about the RR's. I do these by hand but keep cells of "cheater text" on the template, to the right of the TSR that I send you. I then just copy and paste the text I need into the cells you see. I've done over 2000 of these in the last 15mo or so...I've got game :-)
  • Options

Keith and Al, your's are done. Thanks!

• Options
    From my end user perspective, this is a cool and valuable improvement over what we have now. I am much more likely to review something living on the EN site than hiding in my email in boxes. The personal touch of the coach talking to me can't be beat. It all works on my end, if it's no extra work for you, it's a net plus.

The one thing that seems to need tweaking, noted by you and JW, is an easy way for me to communicate the nuances of the races planned, so you can get the best feel for the athlete's goals of the season. Wait! Maybe we need to require the athlete to state short, clear season goals (140 characters or less?)
  • Options

Posted By Al Truscott on 01 May 2014 07:54 PM

From my end user perspective, this is a cool and valuable improvement over what we have now. I am much more likely to review something living on the EN site than hiding in my email in boxes. The personal touch of the coach talking to me can't be beat. It all works on my end, if it's no extra work for you, it's a net plus.

The one thing that seems to need tweaking, noted by you and JW, is an easy way for me to communicate the nuances of the races planned, so you can get the best feel for the athlete's goals of the season. Wait! Maybe we need to require the athlete to state short, clear season goals (140 characters or less?)

I've asked Brian to change the text/header of that text box to ask people to give me more detail. And we'll have those notes (yours) appear on the TSR page. So the order will be:

• My template text/instructions
    • Your notes for me
    • Screenshot of the TSR
    • TSR screencast
  • Options
    At this point, I agree with what you all are seeing. One thing I wonder is whether this could be linked to the Macro threads that people create and allow a person to edit (if needed) their own TSR based on the feedback they receive.
  • Options

Yo WSMs,

Can you bang on this again for me? We've made some updates, per your suggestions and some stuff on our end as well. Thanks!

• Options

I'd guess nobody replied cause we don;t know what to do with this? I sure didn't. The link brings up a quick screencast of Rich talking over someone's seasons plan spreadsheet for 30 sec, and there doesn;t seem to be anything the athlete is to do at that point. If the question is, Does this work, Yeah, it works, I see and hear the screencast.

• Options

@JW: I hit you back with a TSR. Please check it out and give me your feedback. Thanks!

• Options
    Looks good coach. I'm not sure exactly what you changed on the interface, but it just seemed "cleaner" the 2nd time around. It was pretty easy to input races and I went in and "added" a race which was also super easy. I think it's great that you captured the notes section at the top of the page when you review the season roadmap and also good that the screencast is there for people to go back and re-watch anytime.

Seems pretty good to me. I'm sure you'll flush out a few more bugs once hundreds of people go through it. But overall, it is a big improvement on people just losing an email that you send them.
  • Options

Posted By John Withrow on 14 May 2014 08:22 AM

Looks good coach. I'm not sure exactly what you changed on the interface, but it just seemed "cleaner" the 2nd time around. It was pretty easy to input races and I went in and "added" a race which was also super easy. I think it's great that you captured the notes section at the top of the page when you review the season roadmap and also good that the screencast is there for people to go back and re-watch anytime.

Seems pretty good to me. I'm sure you'll flush out a few more bugs once hundreds of people go through it. But overall, it is a big improvement on people just losing an email that you send them.

Thanks, John. A few things:

• We added / will add some explanatory text on that page that you land on when you first take the survey -- what it is, when to expect to get it back from me, etc.
    • We tweaked the race selection drop down. That think will fill up pretty quickly, becoming a 6ft scrolling exercise. So we added the ability for people to filter the list by race type, distance, etc. 
    • Yes, captured people's notes for me, cleaned up the look of the final product, etc. 

Thanks again for your help!

• Options

Hey Coach,

Belated reply.  Still need feedback?  If so I'll hop on.  Looks like you got some good stuff already... sorry I missed the thread.

Viva La Mojo!