Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTX WK 11 The Four Keys

13»

Comments

• @CK @TC- Happy Birthday boys!!

I just had my 45 min consult with Jesse to address my heat acclimatization issues, as he thinks is the main concern, along with some tweaks to my nutrition.  

Ideally, this would have been done 2 weeks prior to race day.  He advises that I consume 24-35 oz of Perform/hr for every single wko before now and 3 days prior to race day.  In past RR that was 13 oz/hr, last RR was 20 oz/hr, so you do the math of what that would be for you.  The idea is to stretch the "elastic" as to what your gut can tolerate.  Getting it used to not just waiting for race day to come and then it can't tolerate/process it.  If you puke, you puke, but stretch it out now. (Fun times, huh?).  Hopefully it just stretches it and that's that.

As soon as I get on the bike he wants me to right away start taking Perform and target 20 oz for hour 1 and hour 2 on the bike, then play it by ear.  If I pee within that time frame, then it's a good sign.

In addition to the 1 salt tab/hr- Any muscle twinges, add a salt tab.  Any bloating- slow down and add a salt tab.  Bloating indicates too much stress, and too much heat stress.

At EVERY aid station- DRENCH yourself with ice water on the bike, especially at bike aid station #1, even if you don't feel like it.  This will allow you to tolerate heat more as the race progresses.

@Tim- He wants me to swap out the Cliff bar that I use early on the bike and replace it with the "Powerbar brand- Powerbar" (those flat looking things).  Powerbar is lower in fat and fiber which could cause GI problems.

Instead of the 660 mg/sodium that I'm currently taking on the bike (too low), he wants me to bump it up to 850 mg/hr.  This will be achieved by taking in 1 salt tab (190 mg- salt stick brand)/hr.

On the run:  He advices that I focus more on HR than on pace, and running a stable HR throughout most of the race (mile 18), as this would be more beneficial in the long run rather than being forced to walk because I pushed the pace too much.  He said pacing could be dangerous on a hot weather race because you are adding more heat than you are letting out.

He agrees with walking 30 secs at every aid station.  He's on board for someone my size to take in 3 oz of Perform at each aid station.  I plan on 3 packets of PowerGels to last me up to mile 18, and he was good with that. -- 3 sodium pills for the entire run.  - At mile 18, when it's ok to switch to pretzels, chicken broth (if it feels right). -- If replacing Coke with Perform, make sure to add a salt tab.  He says, DO NOT TOUCH THE FRUIT, it has too much fiber. -- Slow down the moment you feel stomach cramps.

He also advised that I watch the "Racing Fueling Webinar" here on EN.

Hope this has been beneficial to some. 

• 2 things I forgot to add:

- For the wko's between now and 3 days before race day- try to make them as hot as possible in the way of wearing a sweatshirt, sweatpants, etc. while increasing your Perform intake.-  Aim to pee at least 2x on the bike.

• Swim only day today too...3000m in 1:05
    2 x 1000 1x500 and rest the WU/CD

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/496315894

Very interesting posts today, lots to learn from experienced people !

Thank You !
  • thanks linda. that was interesting to read. Iit is good to see another vote of confidence for running by hr on a hot day.

Normally I would be posting about my swim workout. But I skipped it and took a nap instead.

BORN TO TAPER!
  • The North Dallas sleeper cell was just activated!  Woohoo!

Beautiful TX morning for a bike ride:  http://www.strava.com/activities/139517436 

Enjoy your weekend all and stay safe / healthy both physically and mentally!

SS

Key #3:  THE BOX

Ask yourself "What do I need to do right NOW to create the conditions for success at The Line? Is what I'm doing right NOW counter to this goal? From what I've seen first hand on the IM courses, I believe you should ask yourself "Am I participating in some short-term tactical masturbation," .

Why are you so concerned with the 5 bike lengths that a guy has opened up on you on a hill at mile 30 of the bike, when you still have to ride 50 miles AND run a marathon!

On the swim, the Box is the space your body occupies in the water: focus on your form and the rest will come. On the bike, the box is probably about one aid station long. On the run, the box begins as 2-3 aid stations long but often diminishes to "from here to the next lampost/manhole over/mail box." Regardless: Keep the box as big as you can for as long as you can. Keep in the box only the things you can control. Let go of the rest.

• Hey its raining in NH today... Imagine that??? 2.5hr trainer ride w/4 x 25' done at .70,.75,.80,.75...... then 3 mile TM brick.... Heather was off running a HM in the rain... Silly girl....
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/496723946

@MR.... I read everything everybody writes but you have really had some helpful gems in this forum... Your experienced , fit , and smart..... You ain't fooling me any .... You OWE it to yourself to RACE on 5/17.....I think knowing your family is there will give you the perfect balance needed for maximum performance.... Never say never and just see what happens you never know.... Course you are racing ROBO and he is a force to be reckoned with...

@SS ... Nice ride and good stuff about the BOX...

THE BOX.... I was an Air Traffic Controller for 21 years.... We were supposed to be multi-taskers being able to listen to several things at once, pilots, other controllers , at the same time make Air Traffic decisions , key board entries , and writing on strips.... At one point I was part of a multi-tasking experiment.... I learned one thing! I can only DO one thing at a time.... Its all about prioritizing, the tasks , then executing them.... So only control the things you can control , prioritize your decisions and there will be many thru the day , and do them one at a time.... If you have something like a flat, take a breath , think , then act!

Like Coach Rich says its only a game!
  • Had a great final Saturday before the big day!

Rode well. Felt really good. 2.5hrs sure felt short.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/496778500#

Was hoping for a pain free run and I got it. Ended up doing out faster than the Z4, but felt really good. I've only run 14 miles this week due to the achilles, so finishing strong felt good. Was a good boost for my confidence.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/496779038#
  • Nice 2.5 hr bike. Now i have a day to do what?

Thx tim. Though plenty of wealth to go around in the M45 group. image
  • @Chris, nice ride. Glad you had a good day. I'm glad I had my day today rather than next Saturday. With 30 mph cross winds, I wisely took off race wheels, rode until 22 miles when I got blown off the road. Literally. Really . . . a week before? Managed to get up in the drops before I wiped, but foray into the grass sent me straight home, finished up on the trainer. Went straight for a 3-mile run, tri shorts started to chafe in the lower hind regions. Really? My shorts have somehow gotten bigger as I lost 15 lbs. Thank God I learned this today. Replaced with a pair of Zoots that fit like a glove and have been Iron-tested.

Then to work on the bike. New aero pads, cork brake pads, install race wheels, and bend rear valve 90 degrees trying to get the crack pipe out of the ridiculously small hole Zipp provides for air on its discs. Because it's latex and bleeds 4 or so psi per hour, I have to pump the tire up next Saturday a.m. No f'n way I'm risking a broken tire at 6 a.m. on 5/17. So . . . I tear off a brand-new $120 tire and replace with a 2yo Conti Competition with good tread remaining, a shorter 30mm valve and butyl that can be pumped up and forgotten next Friday. If anyone wants some nice tubulars, keep an eye on eBay circa May 20.

Rookie Saturday is officially over, stress replaced with calm. Off to float in the pool.
  • got the road bike out and went exploring for a couple of hours. man sitting up slows you down! Power felt good though.
    No run today due to family commitments but I will get out and run a bit tomorrow.
  • @Robin-I was thinking the same thing. My wife had plans for me though. I've been doing chores since I got home. I told her to respect the taper, but it evoked a different response than I had hoped.

@MR- what a day! Better today than next week. Enjoy the pool!
  • Water temp in Lake Woodlands as of May 8th was 77 degrees.

http://www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/index.aspx?NID=844

She caused me some stress today, but she's tuned, pretty and - with the right pilot - can fly.

Boy and I pool floated for 2 hours, now watching Iron Man (coincidence?) on the outdoor big screen, pissing off the neighbors. Mother's Day starts at midnight. Until then . . .
  • Just posted my race plan if interested. Feel free to comment.

http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/15398/Default.aspx
  • Well, the coughing nonsense seems to be almost gone.  Holy crap....10+ days of non-productive, dry, frequent, annoying, tiring coughing.  I have been getting a good core workout though!  My abs are really sore!    Called a buddy of mine who is a pedi pulmonologist and he thinks I am having some exercise induced asthma triggered by a recent viral URI.  I may start a short course of oral steroids (not anabolic!) tomorrow, but this afternoon I've hardly coughed at all....keeping fingers and toes crossed.  Hate to take steroids and then eat everything in the house.  I have managed to keep my weight down, despite no activity past 2 days.  I weighed the least I've weighed in many years this AM....154.8#!   

Coach let me out of jail for 90min bike and 30min easy ride/run today.  I'm still not "back", as Z2 on the bike required a little more pushing than usual (usually doesn't feel like a push for the first few hours) and was not having to constantly slow down to run Z1.  So, I'm not feeling like CK (jealous) and I'm a little concerned, but I think I'm going to be ready one week from today.  All I can do is manage what is in my BOX....rest, don't overdo it, don't worry/stress, take steroids if not getting better, etc.  Waiting to see what Coach P wants me to do next week.  

@MR....I thought of how much it would SUCK if I were to crash today.  Glad you didn't.  Bike looks fast and clean....now take it apart and pack it up!  

Gave mine a bath, lubed chain, new battery installed in PT and HR strap.  Made sure everything still talks.  

Getting ready to try to be superdad tomorrow so my wife can have the "day off".  

• This is the longest taper I've ever done obviously, so I am continued to be amazed at how weird it is! I have learned to remove myself from all TX forums EXCEPT this one -- otherwise they will just freak me out (gators, really?) We are less than a week and I feel like my head is where it needs to be. I took Friday off so Crosby and I could do an open water swim today for 45 min at a buddy's dock. Both my husband and his wife will be on paddleboards next to us... Can't think of any other way to spend my mother's day. Happy Mother's Day to all the super strong mama bear athletes on here!

SAT ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/139824743
    SAT run: http://www.strava.com/activities/139825231
  • everyone get well, rest, stop crashing!

Calm the minds.      At this point, what will happen on race day will happen.   

Safe travels.  

• Mike issues mind me to give my two cents on disc wheels.

I like to use a wheel with disc cover.    Easier to pump the tires.     More versatile for race day - if wind leads to disc prohibition can take wheel cover off.         Wheel with disc cover may be lighter than disc wheel?             Can ship with Tribike (they prohibit regular disc wheels).

• @Robin, great points on wheels. Pros and cons for each set-up. In most conditions, a light disc running high-tpi, latex tubulars is the fastest, smoothest ride. But disc isn't for every race. The Conti I'm now running on the rear has higher rolling resistance and a rougher ride than the latex Vittorias, but it's tough, won't bleed air and its shorter stem means I can put air and (if necessary) Pit Stop in it - a rather important thing. Trade-offs.

An 808 rear + wheel cover would give most people ideal flexibility. At about 1,150 grams (750g tubular 808 + a 400g cover), it isn't much more than a high-end tubular disc (950-1,000g). On a flattish course like TX, weight is even less important.

I travel with my bike in two Ruster Sports cases - they fly as regular checked baggage. I save hundreds every time I fly, especially internationally where some bike charges can be draw-dropping (like $350 each way). But I have to take apart and reassemble my bike. More trade-offs.

See . . . isn't this conversation better than fretting about weather, wind and water temps? Like Robin says, ignore all that crap ($10 says there are ST threads currently dedicated to these silly subjects). You can't control those things. Plus, the more the challenge on 5/17, the better our extreme fitness and EN execution will deliver and separate us from the 90%. I welcome whatever the course offers next Saturday.
  • Last long"ish" ride today , almost 44 miles in road bike after my mother day's duties making breakfast for my beautiful wife and facilitating kids surprising mom with presents earlier !

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/497654115

Had to slow down at the end of the ride because I had a rear wheel "progressive flat", luckily it was only a couple miles from home and I did not have to bother wife to pick me up 20 miles from home on mother's day (I do not cary repair kit in this bike...) I hope not to have the same luck on race day

Yesterday: total rest and birthday celebration for our 5 year old. It was a blast. Later preparing stuff for trip (early Wed flight Columbus to Houston)

Got email from TriBike transport, P3 is on its way to Texas! We are so close...
  • @ Latex Tube , FLO Rim Peeps... After the few issues I had, talking to the boys at FLO etc... I had ordered VELO rim tape (a wider sticky backed cloth re-inforced rim tape) and 25c latex tubes which were recommended in a few places if using rims 24mm or wider... There is also a recent thread on ST about FLO wheels and flats..... I had put 23C latex tubes in last week and rode 1 30 mile day on them with everything being just fine... But I wanted to install my new rim tape pre-race... I did so today , and chose to put one of the new 25c latex tubes in the FLO disc... Was very anal about checking rim, tire, and installing... Pumped it up and re-inspected the tire... Found a weakness in the sidewall of the tire where I could see about 1/16 inch of pink latex tube trying to push its way thru... I never notice on the 23c tube since it was off white it did not show... This was a tire I had a pinch flat on in AZ but the damage was not visible... So I at least solved the reason of my rear flat... New tire on the back... There was already a new tire on the front so I just re-installed the 23c latex.... I'm beginning to thing that LATEX is just not worth it.... Its like everything has to be perfect for them to work.... I do like the way they feel when riding but hate worrying and hate pumping them up all the time...

Swam 3000yds with the local tri-club this am and then hit the track for 70 min run... Nice and steady with run/walk strategy... I actually really like the run pace graph on Strava but don't care for the power graph on Strava...... The range really shows pace well for the run , much better than a garmin file but the range on the power is always too small to actually see very well... 

http://www.strava.com/activities/139951137

• Thx all for the tire and wheel and tube info.

Have to get up from nap now.
  • Short EZ run but HOT today: http://www.strava.com/activities/140103829

Disassembled the entire bike, including the brakes and cleaned 6 century rides worth of Perform and God knows what else off.  Forgot what the bike actually looked like until it was finally clean again.

Key Four:  The One Thing

All of us are going to hit a tough period during the day, chances are there will be more than one, however, from my experience, the worst period is what many have referred to as THE WALL or THE LINE.

When it comes, not if, it will be natural to second guess yourself, claim you did not do enough training, or not the correct training, or a myriad of others negative thoughts, BullSHIT!  Not so, I have watched everyone lead each and every week and get it done. We will all go through it.  It is at this point you have a choice to make, embrace it or let it consume you down the wrong path.

Embracing it means grasping and leveraging your One Thing.

"Expect your body to have a conversation with your mind: "Look, Mind, you've had me out here slogging away for 130 miles. This is really starting to get old, hot and very painful. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down and you can't stop me!"

Before the race, you need to ask yourself "Why am I doing Ironman?" You need to determine what is the One Thing that put you in this race? To "finish in the daylight with a smile on your face? To run a 3:45? Whatever your One Thing is, be absolutely clear and rehearse your mind/body debate beforehand. But be warned: your body can be a helluva good negotiator at mile 18 of the run, especially if your mind hasn't prepared its rebuttal arguments beforehand."

One of my One things is that I have 3 boys and that alone is enough to want to set an example.  Another of my One Things is to represent this group as it deserves to be represented......and there are others......

As Rob so well said, put your mind at ease, the race will be what it will be at this point.  Be at peace and knock it out of the park!

SS

• Yesterday was a 2 hr ride at the gym on the spin bikes because my only bike is enroute to Texas! Followed up with a 3 mile run outside on am absolutely glorious morning.

Had a nice Mother's Day today and was actually able to sneak away for a quickie! Swim that is... image Got in a quick 1600 as per the plan while everyone else was at evening activities. I have to say, I like this in and out in under 30 business...

The next two days are absolutely bananas, and I have to be super creative to get in some more quickies image

Safe travels peeps! We leave 7 am Wed. morn.

Looking forward to meetin' y'all Th night!!!!!