Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Quassy W/O 5/5/14- 4 Weeks to Go!

Monday is my off day but I may swim a little.  More so to get the wife started in the pool to start training for her July sprint.  She kinda knows how to swim, but not "real swimming".  This should be interesting.  I don't know if I'm a great teacher.  Hopefully all goes well....

Mother Nature appears to have a copy of my training plan and is doing her best to f' it up!  Rain for Thurs. (long run) and Sat. (Long ride- Quassy course preview)  Come on man!

Comments

• Options
    I took the last 2 days off to try to get over this cold or virus or whatever is bringing me down. I wish I could say it was success, but sadly I'm still hurting. I swam and ran today and both were a physical challenge for me - I'm kinda depressed about the whole thing at this point image Anyway, today I officially switched over the IM plan in prep for IMLP. Quassy is still on my schedule, so although my training plan has changed, I'm with you guys in spirit!

@Kim- hoping the Saturday forecast changes too!
  • Options
    Brad- Don't worry! I remember reading an article in Triathlete a couple of months ago about forced downtime due to illness/injury and a lot of folks had some great results due to the additional rest and recovery. You'll be fine!

If I can find that article, I'll try to get it to you....
  • Options
    @ Kim- I am hoping that the weather cooperates too!!! It keeps changing so I am going to do my best not to keep checking it lol
    @ Brad- I hope you feel better soon!!! Try not to stress. I agree with Kim- Your body will be stronger with more rest. But please please take it care of yourself!

This weekend had some great training! Did a 2.5 hour solo ride Saturday with a run . Then did the same hilly course as Kim yesterday. What a course it was!! But I was so glad to be out there. image Today's swim I hit the main sets, and it felt good. Aqua class ladies was staring (with evil looks) at me to get out (they start at 6:00, it was only 5:55!!)....but really I wanted to keep going for a bit. image Chiro fixed me up this weekend and I am hoping to have a good run tomorrow!! I am with Brad- moved into IM plan now, but I'll still be here!!
    Here's to a great week everyone!!!
  • Options
    @Laura I get that death stare from the Y swim team starting at 5:50 when they do not get the lanes until 6:00.

First day in the IM plan complete. Prepping for lunch time run and post work swim followed by death stare.
  • Options

@Brad - get better soon and rest up - you'll come back stronger

Hacking my programme all over the place at the moment due to lack of mojo - rested up a bit last week (dropped the long run) so hopefully will have a good week before a 96 mile ABP ride this Sunday!!!  4 weeks to go to my HIM as well... getting scared now...  The lakes haven't opened yet and are sitting at 10 degs!

• Options
    Gotta love the pool death stares! That is one thing I liked about my previous gym, HealthTrax. They had a lane or 2 open during aqua-robics. I don't know why they need 4 lanes of a 25yd. pool for 10 people bobbing around on noodles!

When I would run into the 6:00 class at LA Fitness, they'd be removing the lane lines and I was swimming til 5:59:59. (My goggles are usually fogged so I can't see the death stares. image

BRRRRR @ Graham! Get that mojo back! I think we all have ebbs and flows of mojo, or lackof. I hope it starts flowing soon!
  • Options
    So-so run tonight. Not horrible, but considering how my legs felt as a result of Sunday's ride, I'm OK with hit. Z4 target 9:20 pace: Actuals- 10:08, 9:52, 9:50 + 1 mile @ Z1.
    First run on "my" trail in a while and took Maggie the spazzy Golden with me. She was pushing the pace a bit heading back. She's a good coach. image

How is everyone feeling about the bike test tomorrow? I def. need to get some better sleep tonight. I was exhausted today. Lately, I can't seem to sleep past 6:30, either because my internal clock is reset as that is my wake-up time for work and/or that is when our Dobie wakes up and starts whining. (Or a combo of both) Very frustrating! I have no trouble falling asleep, or staying asleep though and get 7.5hrs/night usually. Just want A LITTLE more...
  • Options

More plan hacking going on.Last night finished the long bike 2hrs 02 mins on turbo. Any longer and I go craaaazy.

MS1 - Z4 stuff - 2x 15 mins @ 0.94 and 0.95

MS2 - Z3 stuff -  2x 30 mins @ 0.82 and 0.80

Swimming tonight - no death stares for me, I just annoy the breaststrokers in the fast lane!!

• Options

Yesterday's training was fine.  Got in run hitting my 2x1 z4 miles.  Swim felt really good starting out.  By the last 400yds, I felt like I wasn't moving forward but managed to keep finding the ends of the pool.  Good swim overall.  Enjoyed the speedwork and it certainly challenged me. 

Looking forward to today's brick - it's even supposed to be sunny.

How many are going to the Quassy Preview Ride on Saturday?  I hope the weather cooperates.

• Options
        HIM Wk 17 Bike Test even surprised myself a little. Old FTP 217, new FTP 226. The work is working! Nice little confidence booster with Quassy coming up fast.
  • Options
    Nice job Mark! Those FTP bumps are hard to come by once HIM training begins. I decided to do my test next week since a local 10kTT will work out nicely for it....

Yup, I'll be at the preview ride Sat., weather permitting!
  • Options
    Finally did some intervals! I've been doing group rides and spin classes (when it rains, which is a lot) so I haven't been getting in the "assigned" intervals so it was nice to have success! Felt pretty easy and could have easily overachieved but the stop signs slowed me down too.

8' @ .98IF
    12' @ 1.00IF
    12' @ .97IF
    20'@ .76IF (As I was riding, I thought this was higher, but I now realize I was looking at the total ride IF. duh!)

Total- 1:15 @ .86IF, a little over 20miles
  • Options

Training is going great for the most part.  I find myself sore and tired by nightfall but magically wake up ready to do it all again the next day LOL  I have done a lot of riding in the rain! hoping for some nice sunny rides over the next couple of weeks! 

Is anyone doing the Quassy course preview this Saturday May 10th?  It would be so nice to meet some of you!! I'll be back the following weekend for the RR May 17th as well

• Options
       Run RR done. Did pretty good staying on pacing with 30" walks every 2 miles for a Cliff Block and 8 ozs of Gatorade Endurance. It's already pretty warm here, probably needed that every mile. Still a good effort for me 12.8 mis @ 2:05:34.
  • Options
    Decent run except I had to cut it short due to an unwanted pit stop and lack of daylight. 9miles in 1:37. Prob could have gone faster but was trying to pace right for longer run than actually happened. Last 2 miles were fastest.

1 10:46.8 1.00 10:47
    2 10:58.1 1.00 10:58
    3 11:02.2 1.00 11:02
    4 10:55.6 1.00 10:56
    5 11:20.9 1.00 11:21
    6 11:07.9 1.00 11:08
    7 10:51.1 1.00 10:51
    8 10:20.6 1.00 10:21
    9 9:57.8 1.00 9:58
  • Options

We had our nicest day of spring so far yesterday - sunny and I think we may have even broken 70 degrees! A few of us got together in the afternoon to get a run in the Park before they open up the roads to traffic for the season.

Huge psychological boost to do get the RR run done on as hilly a course as we'll find around here - no PB's, but the satisfaction of knowing that if I could pull off that kind of run on race day, I'd be ok with the outcome.

Added bonus of having good company, and a cameo by Daisy the Irondog
  • Options
    Last two weeks have been hacked. I left Ottawa Friday, April 25 on my way to Rochester to run a half marathon with former Team EN member Carly Constanza. We swam together on Saturday and then on Sunday I participated in the race. Was happy with the outcome. I came across the finish line in 1:51:57. Not bad for someone who only ran 10 miles a couple of weeks before. I did not actively train for it. Stuck to my HIM plan. I then took Monday off and then traveled on Tuesday to Carlisle PA. Drove to Boon NC on Wed (so no training for 3 days) and then I rode for 4 days at the Blueridge Bike Camp where I clocked over 200 miles of riding with over 8000 feet of gain one day on our climb to Mt. Mitchell. Sunday I drove back to Carlisle and Monday back to Ottawa, so no training those days. I then hit the track on Tuesday and did 5 miles of running at whatever pace I felt like. Wed was rest and Thursday I ran with Evan and Natalie in the Gatineau hills where I clocked in 13miles and change. Today was rest day. Tomorrow I will be back on track. I will be in week 17 of my HIM plan when I arrived in Quassy. I am training through it and will be doing Musselman HIM on July 13.
  • Options
    I may be a no show at Quassy tomorrow if the weather is as bad as forecasted. I did a 3 hour ABP ride today on the trainer, since Sunday is Mother's day and I wanted to be free that day. Tomorrow I need to do a 4 hour ride, but with the weather this way....not sure how to go about this. Since I'm still fighting a cold, riding in the rain doesn't sound like fun. What happened to Spring???
  • Options
    Training has been almost non- existent the past 2 weeks, other than running due to work travel. Now it is raining again. Time for a bike ride, but not feeling very motivated. Starting to worry about Quassy and performing properly especially the swim. Trying to keep positive. Next weekend , I'm doing a bike race called Krack the Kanc ( 21 mile bike climb up the NH Kangmangus highway). That will tell me if my bike is ready for the quassy hills.

Good luck to all of you riding the course today! I'm jealous.
  • Options
    3 hour ride 55 miles in the bag today. Legs felt heavy but rode through it. Got in before the rain so feel super lucky. Starting the Tour of California tomorrow on Trainer Road.
  • Options
    Bailed on theQuassy preview ride cuz of rain. Didn't want to ride down those hills on wet roads if I didn't have to. Did 2 spins classs instead, then did my ABP ride today but added some miles to it since the spin classes were only 1:45 total. Nice ride but slow and hilly. 47miles @ .77IF with somewhere around 3,500ft gain. (3,000-4,6000 depending on what device you believe)
  • Options

First Tri of the season done. Glad I did this before Quassy. It seems I forgot how to take off a wetsuit. Horrible T1. Swim was not so good either. 58 degree water temp. caused me to have a little trouble with breathing. Did a little breaststroke to settle down. 1:34 per 100 though. It got better from there. 10th in age group. http://maxperformanceonline.com/season-opener-live-results-page/#/results:&AthleteSearch=Rodman&Division=All:13998467151010 After that rode 43 miles to the kids soccer game. Fun weekend.

• Options
    Crazy windy this weekend for the rides. At times it felt as though you were riding holding a big sheet of plywood in front of you, and other times as though had super-human legs.

Great psychological boost to get outside for the first time this season, log some hours on the hills, too!
  • Options
    Saturday was anaerobic swim sets with the local tri club. My stomach was really bothering me (pain everytime I ate), so rest of day was just resting. Sunday I got a great 98km (61 mile) followed by a 10km (56min run) in. As Evan said, we got some nasty windy in Ottawa, but instead of hills I did wind. Stomach is behaving today, so I did my scheduled swim as scheduled. Really wish I could get out in open water before Quassy, but doubt that will happen :-(
  • Options
    Larry- Nice job on the tri. 58 is cold!!

Evan- Felt pretty windy here too. NOt a fan of the wind on the bike, going downhill at 35mph+. Scary stuff!

Brenda- Nice work! Sorry your belly isn't playing nice! Hope you are able to "fix it" soon....
  • Options

Trying to get back at it with the posts!! Love checking in with my team! Happy to report that I had a great week of training in the books. I was so thankful to get a good long run in on Thursday with little pain in the glute. Followed by 2 good long rides on the weekend (one being the Quassy preview ride) and another one solo with some good running time in. Feeling positive! 

Looking forward to this week. Finally getting some nicer weather! Hoping to hop in and do an open water swim soon!

Here's to a great week of training!!