Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Week 13 … 8 To Go

2»

Comments

• Options
    Continuing to work back up my run fitness. Ran 4 miles this morning with no pain or problems. My LRP is 8:58. Four miles this morning went 8:55, 8:41, 8:44 & 8:46. Had a really frustrating day at work today so came home and ran 4 more with my bride. It was probably good that she jumped in b/c it kept my pace back a bit which I'm sure was better for my calf. Four miles tonight went 9:18, 9:07, 9:16 & 8:54.

So...I got 8 miles in today which is two miles less than I ran ALL of April. Encouraged by the progress...now I've got to continue to build my running legs back up. I'm not sure if it's realistic but I'd like to be able to fully participate in the camp week coming up. We'll see.
  • Options
    Did my long run yesterday early while the weather was cooperative. I know the Wednesday bike sessions are taking their toll, because I struggled to maintain a 8:30 pace across the 14+ miles. (LRP is 8:49) Then I was pretty sore all day after the run. Today was a swim and I skipped the low priority run. Swim felt good, ended up going 300 yards too far, must have done an extra 300 yd interval. Did 4600 yards in 1:24 including the rests which works out to 1:46/ 100yds ( including rest time).

I am doing my camp week next week as I have reservations in Couer d'Alene next weekend so camp week will be on course. Hoping to do the swim RR in 1:12 next Thursday.
  • Options
    @Steve. I also skipped the run today. I am also pretty happy with my swim today, did 4400 yards in 1:30. This is my very first time swimming the ironman distance!
  • Options
    Did the distance, but couldn't hit the paces on the swim today. Gettin 30 hours of rest as I Amtrak to Portland and back Fri & Sat to see friends in from the Big Island, so I hope the 3 hour ride Sat PM and Swim + run intervals sandwiched around Mother's Day lunch go OK. Then start all over with 5 hr ride on Mon, 135 min run on Wed. Not feeling fatigue yet, despite TSB of minus 45 this AM, but watching close.
  • Options
    @Al-- can you share with us more about TSB? I assume it is some measure of cumulative training, stress, fatigue but not sure the forula or where you get the values and how it informs you on upcoming training?

I got my swim in this morning and plan to run after work.
  • Options
    x2 what Jason said. I was about to ask the same thing....
  • Options
    Just finished watching the video of Rich's coaches chat that Al mentioned above. Good stuff. The last 6 minutes were golden for me (adjustments due to injury) - feeling better about where I am and the approach I'm taking. Thanks for the recommendation Al.
  • Options
    Training peaks gives you your TSB. Strava will also give you your "Form" which is the same thing but they don't take into consideration running so it isn't as accurate.

Basically, based on the TSS (Training Stress Score) of each of your workouts it is keeping track of your fitness, but also your fatigue. TSB is the difference between fitness and fatigue. Having a large negative TSB means that you are very fatigued. As you taper before the race your TSB will rise and your are then considered in "Good Form" meaning that you have lots of fitness and little fatigue.

In training peaks they use different terminology than Strava, in training peaks Chronic Training Load = Fitness and Acute Training Load = Fatigue.
  • Options
    Trainingpeaks.com has some detailed articles about these training metrics which are based on power and pace of workouts relative to your FTP and TP (swimming can also be included). But to simplify and summarize, the TSB as calculated by training Peaks (I use their WKO+ program) will show the difference in training density bet ween the previous six weeks (Chonic Training Load, CTL, calculated from daily TSS scores), and the past week ( Acute Training Load, ATL.)TSB is simple arithmatic, ATL minus CTL. So when my training makes a fairly sharp turn towards more average effort per day, my Training Stress Balance will become more negtative. I' ve learned over the years that when it drops lower than minus 24 to 30 over the course of a few days, I can expect some fatigue symptoms to start showing up. I've been in that zone the past few days, and it showed in this morning's swim wko, when I couldn't hit my paces.

Conversely, when tapering the TSB will turn positive. The range of plus 24 to 36 works well for me on race day. YMMV, and I have 9 years of data to call on.
  • Options
    Trainingpeaks.com has some detailed articles about these training metrics which are based on power and pace of workouts relative to your FTP and TP (swimming can also be included). But to simplify and summarize, the TSB as calculated by training Peaks (I use their WKO+ program) will show the difference in training density bet ween the previous six weeks (Chonic Training Load, CTL, calculated from daily TSS scores), and the past week ( Acute Training Load, ATL.)TSB is simple arithmatic, ATL minus CTL. So when my training makes a fairly sharp turn towards more average effort per day, my Training Stress Balance will become more negtative. I' ve learned over the years that when it drops lower than minus 24 to 30 over the course of a few days, I can expect some fatigue symptoms to start showing up. I've been in that zone the past few days, and it showed in this morning's swim wko, when I couldn't hit my paces.

Conversely, when tapering the TSB will turn positive. The range of plus 24 to 36 works well for me on race day. YMMV, and I have 9 years of data to call on.
  • Options

My problem using Training Peaks was I would find myself chasing numbers. I would see my TSB dropping and getting really low and not wanting take a day off for fear of having it climb when I don't want it to climb until the taper. But keep in mind "I'M STUPID". I found that not watching those metrics so closely made training more relaxed and enjoyable. 

• Options

Yep, for me TSB is just another metric to keep an eye on. Once you have a few years of data you may be able to correlate how you feel on race day to a particular balance.  I find great value in parsing out the swim, bike and run independently to get a sense of how each is contributing. I feel great at slightly negative or just barely positive TSB.  It's just one of those things that's gonna vary greatly for everyone and no one metric will work for every athlete...  IMO.  

• Options
    I did the run and bike today. The run went well, was able to hit both Z4 and Z2. The bike went pretty well too. It was a bit crazy, we accidentally found ourselves headed directly into a gran fondo ride of thousands of people on the bike path. One of the scariest ride encounters I have ever faced!

There was a lot of admin between the intervals and some breaks, so the extra Z2 riding was kind of interspersed throughout the ride. I did manage to get all 7 intervals in. I was able to hit .78 - .79 IF for all of them. I was out there for more than 5 hours, but the moving time was only 4:35. I think from now on I am going to have to go out and back on the bike path several times to maximize the riding... but soo boring!

Tomorrow I am going to have to suffer on the trainer at night. My wife would strangle me if I took off for a ride on mothers day!
  • Options
    Did my 4.5 hr ride yesterday, IF- .77 76 miles. Rode from my house up to the base of Mt Rainier. 4000 ft of climbing and 30 degrees, which I wasn't prepared for. I am working on dialing my nutrition in, which I failed on. I did the concentrated Infinit and clear water every 20 minutes, think I will adjust that to concentrated Infinit and clear water every 20 minutes but every third feeding go with a Gu instead. Will try that out on my ride today. I took the wife out to a very nice dinner and shopping last night because I run the sound board at church all morning and then will ride this afternoon. She's happy, and I get the ride in. No guilt!