Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Sleep??

It used to be, if there was a podium spot based on sleep, I'd get it.  So I dunno what is up lately (besides me)  Not sure if it is getting older (only 42 though), a wake-up time reset based on the puppy or what, but my sleep seems to be crappy and waking up earlier and earlier.  You think I'd sleep like a baby!  I typically don't have trouble falling asleep but last night I went to bed around 10:45, fell asleep quickly, but woke up after like an hour thinking it was like 5-6am and it was only 12!  Then I was awake before 6.  Ugh.  And I took a Melatonin last night.  Really trying to get more ZZZZ's but it isn't working.

Anyone else finding this during this time in training?  Maybe I'm getting more sensitive to my pre-WKO caffeine at 5pm? (Minimal though... 40mg pre-WKO then another 20mg mid-run)

Comments

• Options
    Kim, a very common cause of interrupted sleep, including in athletes (especially during times of heavy training), is adrenal fatigue. When the adrenals become fatigued the normal circadian rhythm of the hormone cortisol can become disrupted. The levels of cortisol are normally highest in the morning and lowest ant night, but with adrenal fatigue the cortisol levels can be too high at night, which is the mechanism or cause of the disrupted sleep

Simple but effective natural compounds can significantly improve this. Certain herbs have been shown to have an "adaptogenic" effect on adrenal function, look for something with the following "key players":

- Panax ginseng
    -Ashwagandha
    - Rhodiola

There may be other things in a good adrenal supplement (Vit. C for example), but those are the key herbs IMO.

Additionally, taking a supplemental form (best in a cream if you can find it....better absorbed through the skin) of "phosphatidylserine", which is a natural phospholipid can be VERY helpful. This substance has been shown to lower cortisol levels.

Diet wise, I would: limit sugars, "graze" thru the day (keep steady blood sugar), eat a little good quality protein about an hour before bed, and limit caffeine intake to a minimum.

Good luck image
  • Options
    Thanks Steve! Headed to the store after work. Perhaps this might also be inhibiting my weight loss? (I believe I have heard high Cortisol levels are baaadddd) At least I can blame something. I have been trying to limit sugars as well but will try a little harder. image
  • Options
    Kim, I always have trouble calming down when I do evening workouts, especially long runs, and I think this is common. Not only does it get me pumped up and have the whole hormonal stress response, but it throws off my normal hydration and eating as well, so I'll be waking up all night to pee sometimes. If you are sensitive to caffeine, I think that could be to blame as well- 60 mg is more than half a cup of coffee, which for some people can have quite an effect!
  • Options
    Rachel- What is weird baout the caffeine is that my routine has been the same for years and hasn't bothered my, perhaps until now. I could have 1/2 Red Bull as late as 6pm and still hit the pillow fast asleep by 10:30-11....

Maybe I was jsut so excited to have finished my longest run before Quassy, i couldnt sleep right! image
  • Options

Kim,

I think two of Steve's points are very important: limiting  simple sugars throughout the day and taking protein before bedtime. On your heaviest training days try a scoop of good whey protein before bedtime.

• Options
    Overtrained?

Regardless, increase melatonin up to 10 mg.