Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

RR #2 Plan

I am going to be doing my second RR on Friday (instead of Sat this week - due to weather) and here is my plan:

4:55 - wake up; cup of coffee, banana, 1/2 cup of oatmeal - 20 ounces of water + a Nuun tablet for a little sodium.

7:30 - It's time to go!  I will head out onto the bike for two loops so I don't have to carry all my liquids.  The course I have chosen will have some hills, though the race will not...but, that is only because I would like to get outside of town and this is the least-traffic option.

I am weird, an, as such, since the weather is supposed to be hot for the first time this year, I am going to start with a run (50m) into 'T1' and actually go through the process of doing T1 as part of the RR.

Bike:  I will spin easy, building into higher z2 rates over the first 25'; then I will push into LOW z3 for the duration with a goal of about 2:40-45 (which is 10' slower than my race goal, but this RR course is more difficult).  I will stay in aero the whole time, and, as far as nutrition goes, I will be utilizing Hammer Perpetuem every 30 min @ 125kcal a shot, with .25 bottle of water and 1 sCap every 15 minutes (250 kcal/hr. / 22-24 ounces of water/hr / ~1200mg NaCl/hr).  I will also incorporate standing up and light twists/stretches as I move down the last 100m to the transition to get ready for the run.

Run:  I am going to take a single shot of Hammer Gel in transition, with a slurp of water and 2 scaps, then it's off to the run (I am actually going to be conscious of the time I spend in transition on this go around).  I will execute the RR run how I am going to execute the race run - 3/7/3 (z3+30 / z3 / let loose), although I will only get 3/3 done since that is what the RR calls for.  I will take a slurp of water after the first 3 miles, along with another 2 scaps...and that should cover me for the run as far as nutrition goes.

Finish: hopefully I will find myself running back to the 'finish' with a total time of ~3:30 + transition time - so, less than 3:35 would be ideal.  When I get home, I am going to have some chicken and rice with thai curry - my favorite! - for lunch, along with about 1:30 of down time with my feet up while I get a little bit of work done - it IS Friday afterall!

I am going to go ahead and get my Friday swim in on Saturday, but late in the day and I will probably do it all as pull only to continue recovery for my legs.  I will do Friday's run on Sunday, which calls for z1/2 'how you feel' and I will probably limit myself to some easy time in z1 and cut the workout a little short...getting back into full swing on Monday.

Have I missed anything?

Comments

• Options
    CORRECTION: My run will be done as follows: 3 miles at z2/MP + 30"/mile, then z2/MP for the next 3 to close out the RR -- I incorrectly identified the zones above, though I have the correct mile splits in my head from that LAST RR! For me, this is 8/mile then 7:30/mile.

oops
  • Options

Looks like you have it all planned out, my only suggestion would be see how you feel about the swim on saturday. If need be take it off but otherwise looks good.

Good Luck and let us know how you felt

• Options

Looks like a solid plan. The only thing that jumped ut at me was the 30 minute feed interval on the bike. Have you tried smaller, more frequent intervals before? 15 minute? I personally find that works for me better. Easier on the gut. Yours should be fine though as you are targeting the calories well.

• Options
    For breakfast: it doesn't seem like alot of calories. Were you planning on getting up in the middle of the night before race day to take in more calories?

Otherwise, everything looks good.

Good call on eating the Thai curry AFTER the RR. Having had an enormous amount of Thai food pre-ride, it's not good burping that stuff up on the bike. image
  • Options
    I second Matt's concern on the 30 minute calorie intake. That can sometimes lead to too much too soon which is why frequent smaller doses usually are recommended. Just something to consider.

On a similar note- I would not recommend you waste time in transition getting a GU, H20, Salt, etc. Get off the bike- out of transition- and onto the run. Give your stomach 10 minutes or so to settle down from the bike and THEN take the GU while you are moving forward.
  • Options

I'd thrid the recommendation for a shorter time frame and small nutrition consumption, but if this has been working for you then you should be fine.

I also notice on the run you are only planning to take water after the first 3 miles then nothing.  I like Nemo's suggestion to not take anything for 10' but 3 miles seems like a long time at ~8-8:30 miles for just a sip of water and a scap.   Also I'd consider taking in what ever nutrition/water for the second 3 miles that you plan to on race day even though you are ending.  Perhaps I need more fuel than you so that this comment and use what works for you

Gordon

• Options

Changes to RR plan as per recommendations:

I will shift to 15 min intervals on kcal intake...just cutting my 30' amount in two.  That will be easy because it is all liquid anyway.

I don't plan on actually swimming prior to the RR...just doing a run up barefooted and tri shorts only.  This isn't, by any stretch of my imagination, an integral part of the plan...just something I kind of want to do so I can at least go through T1 once.

Nemo - good call on the T2 nutrition...I will cruise through T2 and wait about 10-15 min into the run to put something in...long enough to let my HR settle again.

On breakfast...I CAN put more kcal in, but, how would you guys recommend my doing so (assuming others feel I should put more in prior)?  I know a banana and a 1/2 of oatmeal (water mix, not milk) sit well and don't 'fill me up'...anything else?  I could just throw down a shot or two of Hammer Gel prior to starting to put something extra in...

Thanks guys!  Great recs - that's why EN rocks!

• Options
    Stephen- for a HIM breakfast, your plan actually looks OK to me. For a IM a lot of folks will wake up around 2:00 and down some liquid cals and then go back to bed- I don't usually bother with that for a HIM. However, I do take a GU about 15 min before I hop in the water to "top off" for that swim. I don't usually practice that in the race sim for the bike, but you might want to practice it for your swim RR so you know if you have any GI issues (sometimes being horizontal after taking in a GU isn't a good thing).
  • Options

I eat very light before a HIM also. I usually will have a smoothie and a banana. I will also sip on a sports drink right up to the swim start so I'm topped off.

• Options

Awesome...thanks guys!

• Options

RR #2 in the bag - I am ready for race day!

Nutrition was solid - I followed the plan laid out before, with the adjustment recommended...namely, taking in kcal every 15 minutes instead of twice an hour and it went great.  I DID however have problems with scaps flying out of my bottle...and I am trying to figure out where to keep them and how to best access them while riding.

Pacing and e;35 and execution - perfect.  This was actually a fairly easy day compared to the double bike weekends we've been having...I just cruised for 2:35 and knocked out the 56 miles without too much effort (even though there was a 10-15 mph wind swirling the entire time).  On the run, it took me about .8 of a mile to settle into my z2+30 pace (I couldn't make myself go that slow right off)...but the rest of the run was uneventful and went to plan.

Overall...I am pumped because I am ready for race day.  With a couple minor logistics to sort out, I am dialed in now!

Thanks for all of our advice - and please let me know if there is anything I need to post in this 'debrief' that would be important to discuss.

• Options

Looks like you are ready!

What kind of bottle are you using for your S-Caps? One with a flip top works for me. You can get them at Fuel Belt or Hammer. People use all sorts of things though. If you're using InfiniT you could up the electrolyte content or just break open the capsules into your bottle too.

• Options

So, that's an option...just pour out the capsules into a bottle?  What about just taking a bottle and filling it full of water/caps and sipping it along the way? 

My goal is to get about 1200-1500mg into my system per hour, especially starting about an hour in...it is really in the run that the cramping generally starts for me if I don't work to prevent it.

• Options

Putting the caps directly in your bike fuel bottle keeps it simpler. Also, what type of bottle were you using for your caps? Did it have a removeable lid or a flip top? I use a flip top and it's easy to manage on the bike. Flip open the lid with my thumb and pour the caps into my mouth directly from the bottle.

You could also look at the salt stick dispenser.

Are you using InfiniT?

• Options

This could be the best thread ever. Team EN ROCKS!!!!!

• Options
    Awesome Stephen! Glad to hear it went well! Your ready to race!
  • Options

@Matt - I have never used Infinit...but, I am going to start right after this 70.3 and will settle sorting out my 'mix' over the next 6-7 month while training for my first 170.6.

I was actually using a Nuun bottle (with all the Nuun tablets out) with a removable top.  Yeah, using one with an attached top would be good.  I would use the salt sticks but they won't go in my bar ends.

I actually have a Bontrager bento box that I can just pour a bunch of caps in for the bike, then I will use the Nuun container for the run on this race...then, for my full, I am doing a number of equipment upgrades starting with getting a freakin' power meter because I am TIRED of being a HR guy in a POWERMETER world (I am a referring to EN...and team EN rocks!).

Thanks for all of your help Matt and Nemo - I owe you a beer/coffee the first time we meet in person!

NOLA - watchout; I got a PR coming!

• Options
    Posted By Stephen Anderson on 03 Apr 2010 04:11 PM

NOLA - watchout; I got a PR coming!

YEEEHA!  Can't wait to hear your race report!!!  Go get em!

• Options

Stephen glad everything went as planned.  I'm looking forward the the race report.

Gordon