Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

CDA Elevation

WTC has the elevation at CDA listed at 5,760 feet.  For those who have done this race is that close to accurate?  My very limited experience with IM races (two 70.3 - Austin & Cali) showed a pretty big difference between posted & what showed up on my Garmin.

Comments

• Options

Depends on how it is measured - GPS usually shows a greater elevation change than barometric. And then there's measuring off of a mapping program. The previous CDA course had 4800' as measured by me barometrically. But if you look at, say, MapMyRide.com, and search for the Ironman course, you find two different elevations changes amongst the six versions of the current course posted, all of which cover the same route on the map: about 2800', & about 6500'. So take your pick. Point is, there are no LONG climbs, but a LOT of ups and down.  EG:

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/coeur-d-alene-id/im-cda-2012-route-216453633

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/coeur-d-alene-id/im-cda-2012-route-167349500

I suspect the  second one is done using GPS, the first either by maps calculation or (less likely) by barometric. 

• Options

Oh, OK, Dallas. So your idea and my idea of a long climb are different. There are probably six climbs in the 112 miles that are as long as that first one in Oceanside, but they aren't as steep - these are major highway grades, not back country roads, so its somewhat "gentler". But long enough that just settling in at about 70-75% of FTP is both feasible and the best strategy. If you have a compact crank and a 28 tooth in the rear, you ought to be able to motor up without any standing or grunting.

• Options
    I also found a YouTube video that shows a sped up ride of the whole course. I agree that the right gearing is crucial.
  • Options

I am riding the course on Friday and Saturday- May 16 & 17. I will report back in the CDA forum the GPS version of the ride and my personal feedback.

• Options

Posted By Al Truscott on 11 May 2014 07:49 PM

If you have a compact crank and a 28 tooth in the rear, you ought to be able to motor up without any standing or grunting.

Okay...now my bike ignorance is about to come screaming out...so please bear with me.  RE: compact crank - I'm pretty sure I have a FSA Vero 50/34t (at least - that's what bikepedia says I have) - which I believe is a compact crank.. 

• Options

It will have it stamped on the chainrings. And yes a 50/34 is a compact crank.

• Options

What Al said. I rode this course a couple years ago on race weekend. I can confirm that the steepest grade anywhere on the course is 6%. 6% is your standard "it's just a hill, not a big deal, nothing to see, move along" grade.