Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Boulder
Options

Week 9 of 20 - This is where it get's real

Welcome to the serious part of IM training.

I was supposed to do a 6 hour brick this weekend.  Saturday was taken up by attending my son-in-law's first sprint and being the unofficial photographer.  I wouldn't have been able to start the brick until maybe 1pm on Saturday, so I planned for Sunday instead.  

A little late start since the club did not open till 8am to swim.  First time this year in the 50 meter outdoor pool.  I had a few friends join me for the swim.  Cool water but once we got moving it was fine.  Time for the 1,000 test was a little slow but I think I was trying to focus on smooth swimming a little too much. 

I was alone on the bike.  Did a course in rolling hills out-and-back from the Big Dam Bridge in central Arkansas.  Cut it a little short due to a 4:30 pm Mother's Day commitment.  The ride was good and on-plan for NP but VI was high.  The last two years the IM was flat and our training matched the flatland biking, so I need to work on my hills execution to get the VI down.  

At the end of the bike my right foot was very sore, so much so that I abandoned the run.  Started another thread here on that, and looking to a local fitter for assistance.  Good to nip this in the bud early.

Comments

• Options
    Here we go. The race readiness starts now!!

I didn't do the swim part off the long day, but instead opted for a 2 hour trainer ride (torrential rains Sat AM), followed by a 2 hour outdoor ride with a training partner once the weather improved. I followed that with a 30 min run, shortened from the programmed 1 hour.
    Probably a bit of mental weakness and the shock of suddenly adding that much training in one day.

The rest of this week is a little cooked, with travel on Tues, Wed and Thurs. At least I should make it home Tues and Wed night, so there is a chance for workouts, even if they are abbreviated.
  • Options
    Long run for the week is in the books. 10 miles in just under the 90 min.
  • Options
    Same here. 44 degrees at 5:30 start of run is just about unheard of here in central Arkansas. Couldn't ask for better. Good to get back on schedule too. The torrential rains of the last 3 days really messed with the schedule.