Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2014 AmZof Race Day Thread

Hi Team, this thread is to be used on race day to provide some mojo.  This is a very unique race, and there is no live coverage, so sending mojo before the race would be great.  If you want to know a little more about this race here is a link to the wiki page and one to the official website of the race.

For any of you new to the team, Chris Gleason was a team mate of ours that raced this event every year and worked tiredlessly to get the team to take part. He passed away suddenly a couple of years ago, so this is a race that the team really likes to support. I think there is only one brave soul (John Withrow) who is attempting the Chris Gleason memorial distances.

Comments

• Options
    So, I'm done with my race report and it is taper time. I'm doing the middle distance and today I got to thinking about my progression of goals for this Sunday. I think it boils down to the 5 stages of American Zofingen expectations.

1) Top 5 of my age group
    2) Not last in my age group
    3) Not last overall finisher
    4) Not DNF
    5) Not need someone to read my DNR statement

After today, I think I'm at step 4.
  • Options
    Check that. I meant race rehearsal. Only a r/b/r at what I hoped was z2/z3. Thus, my downward trajectory. ;-)
  • Options
    Brenda, for the record, the G. Chris Gleason Memorial is actually the "Middle Distance" as I think it was Chris' preferred distance and he would actually "Race" it. I'm just going to try to survive the Long Course.

My actual comment to my wife on the way home from doing the Chris G. Memorial Races over the last 2 yrs:

2012: "That was the hardest race I have ever done. The people doing the long course must be clinically INSANE! I Will NEVER EVER EVER EVER even consider doing the Long Course!"

2013: "That is my favorite race. The people doing the long course are crazy! I will NEVER EVER do the Long Course! Please smack me back to reality if I even think about it"

When registration opened about 6 months ago, I signed up for the Chris G. again. Then several months ago I said:

"Awww Hell.... I guess I'll try the long Course"

This race for me will be about survival. I was previously scared, but am actually pretty excited now. If I can finish this Monstrosity of a race, then I can actually "Race" my Ironman this yr at Mt Tremblant. Bring it!!!
  • Options
    damn you withrow!!!!!!!! To see your file from last year and realize that it took you almost 2 hours to do the 29 mile loop. Oh yeah, at an NP of 221. Damn you withrow!!!!
  • Options
    Your kind reassurances are making this week so much easier, JW.
  • Options

Posted By Steve boer on 13 May 2014 05:54 PM

Damn you withrow!!!!

Music to my ears!!!

• Options

Hey Gang,

Dinner is confirmed, 11 people, under my last name, Schneider.  They cannot do separate checks for us, fyi.  So we will have to divide and conquer at the table.  Details below:

7:00 PM           Gilded Otter, 3 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561  (845) 256-1700   (www.gildedotter.com)

If you need to reach me for any reason my cell is: 917-698-5162.

When you get a chance, please let me know what distance race you are planning to do and if you will be in an EN kit or not.  I don't want to lose track of anyone!   I would love to do a group photo.  Don't know if we can gather the whole gang because of the different start times, but I want to try.  We will do one photo at dinner and one the next morning (hopefully).

Look forward to seeing you all race day if not at dinner! 

• Options

Hi Leslie,

I moved down to the middle distance course (R/B/R/B/R). I'll be wearing Mapso kit along with a couple of other folks from my club. I'll look somewhat like this, maybe not smiling so much though. ;-)

• Options
    Setting up group me on Friday. Make sure you are on the EN Event sheet which can be found in the super duper admin thread.

JW - thanks for the clarification re: what distance is the Chris Gleason Memorial distance.
  • Options
    B-- Next yr, I think you and Steve should be doing the Chris G. distance with us. It really is the best distance race. The CWD is too short to really experience any pain to be able to appreciate the course and the Long Course is prolly too long to enjoy any beers (or anything else for that matter)... Everyone will probably be packed and gone before I even finish the stupid race.

Leslie-- I'll be in my EN kit (I think I'll ride in my bike jersey since my bike loops are all consecutive). Maybe changing into a run shirt or my tri top after the bike.
  • Options
    @JW:
    I will be gone by the time you finish - i have to tag back in with the kids...
    if the weather for monday comes through early, you will be wearing rain gear, this is the AmzZof!!!

@Brenda - yes, do the Gleason next year, a great race for early season ramp up!
  • Options
    @Leslie Chris G distance, in EN kit.
  • Options
    Hey Leslie,

I am way behind getting on the Event Sheet, but I am in the middle distance and will not be in an EN kit.

Joe
  • Options
    I just wanted to make sure everyone doing this race feels like a complete wuss by telling you the following story...

Since you are all doing shorter distances, I have a friend doing the Long Course that came in 2nd overall last yr in the LC. He's going for the win this yr. His name is Colin Martin and he'll be wearing a Team EMJ kit, so please cheer loudly for him and then taunt him when he finishes. The reason I mention it is because he's the one who talked me into doing the Long Course this yr. The only way I agreed to do the LC was if he would run my final run loop with me. So while you're all suffering through your races, remember that this kid is going to complete the LC (probably winning it), and then wait around for me to run his "extra" bonus loop with me... The only way he's allowed out of his obligation is if I happen to start my final run loop before he finishes the race (which is a very low probability given how freakin' fast this kid is).
  • Options

Thanks to those of you who got back to me with your distance and race kit info.  Even if you are not in EN, I will try to identify you on course.   I will be waving the EN flag!

Again, I hope we can gather for a team photo in the morning.  I'll send out a Group text as to where and when to meet.  It should only take  30 seconds or so.

• Options
    I'm in the EN kit, Chris G. race.....if you've seen the venue for the all the duathlon races, then you understand my chuckle about getting the team together for a picture---it shouldn't be hard finding us in the mass of 50 people.

since i'm out of work already, i'm going to do some AmZo training---i've started to stab myself in the leg with a carving knife and I just keep saying "it doesn't hurt that bad yet!!!" no better way to prepare. This race reminds me of Rocky III when Clubber Lang just looks at Rocky and grumbles "PAIN"
  • Options
    Hey Keith! Join in on the Group me app. Everyone else too, unless you're already driving or something.
  • Options
    all AmZof Results can be found here
    http://yellowjacketracing.com/results/
  • Options
    Kudo's to all who did this race well done !
  • Options
    This race is truly a memorable one...starting with the national anthem on the bagpipes all the way to the post race festivities including burgers and beers. If you were ever on the fence about doing this race, JUST DO IT!!! Steve, will you'd and Brenda both be making the trip to do CWD with me next year? The only question is if JW is a true junky and sticks with LC next year.
  • Options
    I can certainly say that the recovery form the LC will be MUCH harder than the recovery from the Chris G. Distance. I basically did the equivalent of an Ironman (less the swim). As a comparison to my IMLP race last yr:

IMLP 2013 Bike stats: 5:39:33 NP of 209W, Avg HR 135, ft of Gain: 6,215', 1 downhill Strava KOM, top speed 53.5mph

AmZof LC 2014 Bike: 5:35:14 NP of 212W, Avg HR 129, ft of Gain: 9,482', 2 downhill Strava KOM's, top speed 55.2mph

IMLP 2013 Run stats: 4:10:31, Avg HR 144, Distance: 26.3mi, ft of Gain: 1,768'

AmZof LC 2014 Run: 3:56:55, Avg HR 133, Distance: 22.4mi, ft of Gain: 3,410'

IMLP Total Race time (less swim): 9:53:15 

AmZof LC Total Race time: 9:39:23

Last yr after the Middle distance, I took a few days off, then was back at training hard right away (similar to a Half-IM).

It's Wednesday already and my legs are still completely trashed. I swam this morning. Might do an easy spin tomorrow. I'm hoping to be able to ride this upcoming Holiday weekend, but that is still uncertain at this point.

• Options
    So, uh, I've been a little out of the loop here for a bit but how did everyone do? All I know is that I finished MY race long before any of you did. What did I win? I already know about the free tri bike removal service. Oh, and taking care of the dirty clothes was nice. Even while I waited. The best part was the portable bed all laid out for me and the limo ride. That was sweet but some dork was driving right beside us flashing all those colored lights. Kinda made a scene if ya ask me.