Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Raleigh70.3 Race Rehearsal-Input desperately needed

In two weeks, I will be competing in IMRaleigh70.3.  This will be my first race using a power meter.  I have been training with it since Feb and today was my first RR using it to guide me through the 56 miles.  Sadly, Im not sure I used it correctly and am desperately looking for feedback.  My current FTP is 175.  Nutrition: 2 1/2 bottles of Cytomax, 5 strawberry cliff blocks, 2 Salt Tabs

Here is my Garmin Connect bike data:  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/502090147

After, on my run, I was suppose to start out at a 9:00 pace for 3 miles, but just couldn't get myself to slow to that pace (even with walking ~30 steps at each mile).  I felt good, so Im guessing I fueled properly on the bike.  The caveat is the temps in VA today were about 20 degrees cooler than what Im expecting in Raleigh…and a lot less humid.  Nutrition:  water and sips of Napalm each mile  

My Garmin Connect run data:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/502090190

Thanks coaches and fellow teammates for the feedback!

Danielle

Comments

• Options
    Danielle-I was unable to open the Garmin Connect links, said something about me not having sufficient privileges.
    Since you are interested in power meter feedback can you post the following: what watts or intensity factor were you planning to do you race rehearsal at and what did you do. Garmin connect will give you your ride NP (that should match your goal) and your average watts. Divided NP by avg watts and that will tell you your variability (VI) and you want to have that number as close to 1 as you can get it. 1.03 or less for flat course is really good.

You can then also look at your autolap and see how your NP,avg power for each of those laps did. Did you hit your targets for each of those.

Sounds like you didn't over do it as your run was good.

You can check out my race rehearsal plan and post race rehearsal as an example if you want in this years Coeur d'Alene forum, entitled RR#1
  • Options

Danielle - to unlock your files so we can see them … if your are using "Classic" Garmin Connect, in the upper left of the file you want to share, there is a little lock icon, click on that and choose everyone. In Modern, the button/icon is in the upper left, between the trash can and the star. It's kinda hard to see what it is; it's actually supposed to be a head/shoulders, with a hemi-head on either side. It looks more like someone with earphones on, to me.

• Options
    Oh bummer…I wonder why it won't open image. Ugh, really wanted you to see the entire ride data.

Ok, for the ride my NP was 161 and my avg watts were 148, that would give me a VI of 1.08, right? Because it is over 1.03, does that mean I was overreaching or underperforming on the relatively flat course I rode today? I felt like I was working hard, but thought it was due to the pretty gusty winds we had today.

Will look at the individual laps (took your advice and did 6x9.33miles) and calculate the VI for each of those as well. I will also look at your CdA RR info too.

• Options

Ahh, thanks Al.  Just unlocked both files.  

• Options
    Danielle, I live in Raleigh and ride the course often. Raced it last year. I plan to race it this year with an IF if .75 on a FTP of 235. Key will be keeping the VI low as in 1.10 or lower. With your FTP and some hills, you will have to be patient on the ups, but stay on the gas on the downs. Should set you up for a nice run. The run is relatively flat, but could be hot! Heat strategy will be key. Stay in the shade when possible, hydrate and use ICE! Looking forward to meeting you
  • Options

Hi Danielle,

I looked at your ride file. IF of .80 is right what we'd expect for a well paced HIM bike ride. VI of 1.08 is a bit high, especially for a flat course. Not a deal breaker for a half Ironman but a skill that should just be learned.

Do you have any specific questions for us or the Team? 

• Options
    @Danielle... Something is not right.... You said your FTP is 175 , that ride is NP 161 that would be an IF of .92.... The current FTP setting for your Garmin account is 200 which then nets you an IF of .80... An incorrect FTP setting will give you incorrect IF and TSS numbers... But , To me my FTP number is immaterial on race day , all I care about is my sustainable power for the distance, for you and that race you need to know what a good 3hr power is(that you can ride and then run well after)..... Bottomline , other than a high VI that is a very nice Race Rehearsal ride.... You felt good and ran well and that is all you need to know.... IMO you have your number for raceday... If raceday is a lot warmer and humid than your RR just be smart and adjust it down a tad...
  • Options
    @Tim, you are absolutely right! I didn't even realize my Garmin was set to 200, wow what a huge mistake that I will be sure to correct, especially leading into the training for IMMT. I do appreciate your feedback about sustainable power on race day. Although the Raleigh course will not be as flat as my RR course, I think riding that number will work for me too. The biggie for me will be managing the heat&humidity, as I am a big sweater.

@CoachR, I am putting together my Race Plan and would very much appreciate feedback on that. Most importantly the nutrition /hydration plan for the day. I am running very well right now and do not want to fall apart on the run due to dehydration. Temps in VA have been too nice lately so I haven't had a lot of opportunity to train in humidity-dont want this to be my downfall.

@Dave, thanks for the lay of the land. Looking forward to meeting you as well! Maybe we will get lucky and there will be a slight drizzle with overcast skies (ahhh, perfect racing weather!)!
  • Options
    @ Danielle...I agree with Tim...you had a positive race rehearsal.  Take it as a confidence builder.  Just focus on steady power @ .8 IF, manage your nutritrion/hydration, and you'll be ready for a good run.  I saw you race at IMAZ, and I KNOW you can run well.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Hey Danielle! I found taping my power targets to my bike really helped me a lot. I also made sure to have my IF on one my main screen as well as power in 3s. There is an excel sheet at the link below that you can download and put your target IF in to help you split your target power for the bike. I nailed it for my 70.3, not so much for my 140.6.

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Racing+with+Power+Kit

I'll be out there cheering you on in Raleigh! If you see a crazy lady with a cowbell, please don't be startled. Have a great race!
  • Options
    @Bruce, thanks. Racing a HIM is so different to me than an IM, but feeling really good about my fitness going into next week, hoping to capitalize on it image

@Emily, thanks for the link. Jason B sent it to me as well and for some reason I have not been able to figure out how to input my numbers into the spreadsheet. I did the calculations manually, but would love to be able to just have the spreadsheet do the "thinking" for me. Could it be that I have an iMac vs PC? Looking forward to possibly meeting you in Raleigh-or at the least seeing you on the course. BTW, great job at IMTX-was following you guys all day!!!
  • Options
    Hmmm I'm on a Mac as well and didn't seem to have an issue. I'll look at it again when I get back to my computer to see if I can help troubleshoot.

Thanks for the well wishes! I'm secretly wishing I was racing with you. I miss it so much already!