Homeโ€บ Races & Places ๐Ÿโ›บ
Options

Xavier's Triple T Ohio Report

Hi,

Just to introduce myself, I am new to Endurance Nation since a few weeks, and also relatively new to Triathlons, started one year ago with my first OD. Since then I only did one Half Ironman Distance in October, and that was it. Untill last weekend. Then I added one Super Sprint, two ODs and one Half Ironman. So more than doubled my total Triathlon experience in one weekend.

To sum it up, it was hard. Very hard. Very likely due to my inexperience, my enthusiasm and my lack of training early in the season, because of a gruesome winter and some running injuries. But I finished, and I am happy. Also to be part now of EN, so I can prepare myself way better for my main goal this year, the Ironman Wisconsin.

Weight: 213 lbs

Length: 6ft4inch

ย 

Preparation:

Well, not so structured to be honest. I really want to be good on the bike, my favorite discipline, so I spend a lot of time riding indoor on a trainer or outdoor. Without a specific training plan, but doing intervals on hills and ramping up weekly mileage. Don't have a power meter, my HRTreshold is 148. On the swim I focused a lot on technique, and just began to train fitness. I am fast on the short distance, but poor on the longer ones. The run used to be my strong point, and I kind of trained less on that. Very few long runs, lots of intervals but not above my HR treshold (165). I had a problem in the winter and spring with small injuries. First the calves/achilles, then the fascias plantas and the last month my IT bands. I know, I have to foamroll and stretch more. It's not my favourite thing, but I have started now.ย 

The last month I raised my training volume to >10 hours a week, with a taper of 4 hours the last week.ย 

ย 

Execution:

Friday 5 pm, Race 1: Super Sprint

As eager and inexperienced as I was, I wanted to nail this sprint to see were I was standing in this field. So I went hard on the swim, did a quick transition with high HR, and totally hammered it on the bike. Boy, that was fun, passing so many other triathletes! The 6km bike ride was demanding, having a 1 mile steep climb. And with my weight, I still beat many elite & pro athletes, having the 11th split in a field of 266. But, yeah, so when I started to run, I already felt my legs... Which resulted in a far slower run than I expected and then I am used to do. In the hurry I forgot to push any button on my Garmin 910XT, so no HR data whatsoever... Times: Swim (250m) 5:03, Bike (6km) 11:03, Run (1 mile) 7:32. Total: 27:15 Rank: 57/266

ย 

Saturday 7:30 am, Race 2: Olympic Distance

Already feeling my legs somewhat, I started at the race with mixed feelings. Very eager to do a good bike again, but also carefull to not waste myself for the run. The swim was cold, both water (65F with areas WAY colder) and air (45F). Still went pretty well, it was a Timetrial start with three athletes at the same time, so it was not too crowded in the water. In T1 I made sure I had enough layers, with long sleeves. I needed that. I was doing good. But then, I let myself go again on the bike. On again a very hilly circuit. Looking back at the HR data (I pushed the button!), my average HR was 145, just 3 strokes under my HRtreshold. Not very wise... So on the run, it was payback time. From the start, I slowed down considerably, trying to save myself. The course was off road, out and back, with one huge hill to go over. Coming back, on two steep sections, I had to walk uphill. Not a good sign. So my run was way slower than expected, with an HRaverage of 147. Times: Swim (1.5k) 26:16, Bike (24 mile) 1:19:46, Run (6,55 mile) 56:16. Total: 2:49:03 Rank: 71/261

ย 

Saturday 3 pm, Race 2: Olympic Distance Bike-Swim-Run

So I learned a lesson, take it easy. But it was too late... This OD was different, we started with the bike section. And yes, this time I was able to control myself on the bike. Not only for the run, obviously, but also to avoid having cramps during the swim. So I never pushed it on the bike. still managing to pass many many contenders though. My HR was highT2, 130. Far better than in the morning. Good. Then the swim. First of all, doing a bike/swim transition is different. Have you ever tried to put on a wetsuit in a big hurry. Well, now I did. Luckily volunteers were helping out, otherwise I would have lost a lot of strength and frustation getting the d**n thing on.ย . Anyway, I did the swim without using my legs. Too afraid for cramps. And with a reason, because each time I had to sight and get my head upright, I had to use them a little bit and could instantly feel some dangerous pains. But I was lucky, I only got cramps while getting out of the water, while walking to my running shoes, while putting them on and while starting to run... So much for saving myself. The run went actually somewhat better than in the morning, but the last 2 miles I had to slow down again, walking uphill. HR averge was 142. Times: Bike (25.6 mile) 1:26:00, Swim (1.5k) 29:44, Run (6,55 mile) 56:50. Total: 3:03:01 Rank 81/250

ย 

Sunday 7:00 am, Race 4, Half Ironman

I was afraid. Because I knew what was coming, The Run. I almost couldn't sleep from the pain and soreness in my legs (only the hamstrings, IT-bands and quads by the way), and I was sort of was limping in my wetsuit to the start. Which turned out to be cruel, it was very cold (36F air), with water temperatures that were a lot colder than the day before. Luckily, no problem for me. Turned out to be a pretty decent swim. The T1 took very long, needing to completely dry myself and putting on many layers. That was good, because I didn't totally freeze on the bike. Not like some other contenders, who were dressed merely in their racing singlets. Brrr! Did very easy on the bike, also because I felt the soreness of my legs. I actually got passed by a few competitors, and thought that was a good sign. I even did two full stops at the special needs stations, did a sanitation and fueled myself with bananas and gels. HR average, 117 (T1). The the run. Yeah. That was torture. I didn't even pretend to pick up speed. From step one, it was pain all over. Two out and back going up this terrible hill. With every painful step, having a mind that shouts 'Walk!'. Which I actually did a lot of times. I had to. Nothing more to say, except that I almost cried when I arrived at the finish, and then had to do a second lap, having to endure the pain once more. I never ran that slow. HR average 126 (T1). Times: Swim (1.2 mile) 32:09, Bike (56 mile) 3:26:00, Run (13.1 mile) 2:30:00. Total 6:40:00. Grand Total 12:59:40 Rank: 110/226

ย 

Conclusions / Lessons Learned

Someone asked me right after I finished if I would be doing the TTT next year again. My immediate response was, 'No way, never again!'. That's because I sure as hell don't want to endure that much suffering again. But, now, when I think of it, I guess I don't have to. I just need to do two things right. 1. Determine before the race what my pace / HR should be. 2. Stick to that pace/HR. Oh yeah, and a third thing, get my nutrition right.ย 

I know it's a rookish thing to hammer it on the bike, and it's ok to be stupid. But just for once. I have learned a very important lesson, and that is to never underestimate the race (and overestimate myself). So I am happy to be with Endurance Nation, so I can prepare myself with the right data and strategies to tackle in a good way my main goal for this year, the Ironman Wisconsin. And get 'estimates' out of the equation.ย