Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Quassy- Final Week!!

I'm a bit off (in my training, among other things image) so I'm doing the sat. Ride today. Did the thurs. run yest with the wifey so I shortened just a bit . Just shy of Z2 so not bad.

I'm off from work this week so I'll be tapering extra hard. May go to the Bronx zoo wed. Or thurs. and have a massage planned as well. Our pro triathlete home stay arrives fri. Night so that's always fun, this is her 4th year staying with us for Quassy but likely the last as they no longer have a pro prize purse.

Weather forecast is looking good so far. I have in the request to Mother Nature to lock in the 75 and partly sunny that they are currently showing....

Comments

• Options

Almost there folks!  Stay focused, not just on your training, but your nutrition leading up to this weekend.

@Kim, thanks for that request - greatly appreciated.  I hope you threw in an extra little caveat about water temp .  I'm a big chicken when it comes to cold water.

Pool closed for the holiday and no OWS anywhere I can get to today so I'll be doing Tuesday's WKO today and swimming tomorrow.

Give thanks to those who served and enjoy a safe and happy Memorial Day everyone!  

• Options

This is it peeps, hope you all seen or heard the webinar.For the first timer's it was a good intro and for the repeater's such as myself I feel this was a good re aquantience to ride smarter and setting up the killer run better. Be smart this week and stay healthy this week. See you all in Middlebury!

Getting in my final workouts this week. Did hill run repeats less than 1 min each for a total of 12. Just at the end of 1 min legs were starting to feel but turned to descend and recover and hopefully not alot of residual fatigue ! Time to get my wetsuit on for my 2 nd OWS only this year.

• Options
    My first OWS will be Sat. @ Quassy. Any chance the water will warm up like 10 degrees in the next 6 days? LOL

Did an abridged version of the Sat. ride today. 23 miles in about 1:34. 37' @ .83IF. Overall .77IF. Felt great but I stuck to the plan and held back. SIFS- Savin' it for Sunday!
  • Options

Posted By Kim DuBord on 26 May 2014 11:13 AM

My first OWS will be Sat. @ Quassy. Any chance the water will warm up like 10 degrees in the next 6 days? LOL

Kim, what's the water temp now?  Am I going to need to rent a dry suit?  lol

• Options
    I thought I had heard water temp of 61 but not sure....
  • Options
    Kim, I work at the Bronx Zoo! If you decide to come this week give me a call or email/message me in advance and I'll try to hook you up. My number is: 917-698-5162.

CT fishing report says water temp is up to 79 degrees! Not sure how accurate it is though.
  • Options
    Peep's don't fret water temp, just get in and swim like the rest of the poly wogs image
  • Options
    Steve is right. I did my first OWS of the season yesterday in our local swimming hole (about 30 miles south of Quassy). Not sure of the water temp, but it was great - I've been in colder temps before. Perfect with a wetsuit!
  • Options
    So pleased to get in with some of the gang yesterday for the first OWS of the season. Not nearly as cold as we expected, and left the beach feeling pretty good about the swim this Sunday. Hoping you guys get a chance to get in the water, too.

Now starting to focus on the checklist of things to get done this week before loading up the car for the wagon train to Middlebury on Friday!

• Options

Feeling relieved after getting in my first OWS with some of my local tri peeps last night.  As always, it took me a little while to get comfortable, but once I did  IT FELT GREAT!  We did 1.4 miles in all.  I'm so glad to have that out of the way - now I feel much better about swimming Sunday.  I do plan to get in Saturday for a bit as well as a warm up Sunday AM.  I should have plenty of time since I'm the last wave 

• Options
    Glad to see peeps getting in their OWS! I can't believe it is in the 50's today! Thought my days of riding in tights and gloves were over.

Did a "birthday brick" today. 19.2 miles in about 1:15 with about 30' @ .84 IF and the rest @.77IF. Then ran 3 miles in about 33'. Massage and dinner later today. Rough life huh?
  • Options

Posted By Kim DuBord on 28 May 2014 11:25 AM

Glad to see peeps getting in their OWS! I can't believe it is in the 50's today! Thought my days of riding in tights and gloves were over.

Did a "birthday brick" today. 19.2 miles in about 1:15 with about 30' @ .84 IF and the rest @.77IF. Then ran 3 miles in about 33'. Massage and dinner later today. Rough life huh?

Sounds like a great way to spend a birthday.  Happy birthday Kim!

• Options
    I am meeting my local tri club teammates for dinner Saturday. Since I will be at Molly McFly's for lunch can anyone recommend a good place for dinner. Someplace simple since I stick with chicken and pasta for a small pre-race dinner. Thanks
  • Options

Posted By Larry Rodman on 28 May 2014 03:38 PM

I am meeting my local tri club teammates for dinner Saturday. Since I will be at Molly McFly's for lunch can anyone recommend a good place for dinner. Someplace simple since I stick with chicken and pasta for a small pre-race dinner. Thanks

I've heard 8fifty Wood Fired Pizza was good.  It's a pizza and pasta joint. 

Juniper's looked good too - a bit more than pasta and chicken but they have a good menu to choose from.  I was considering that for the team lunch but pricey for lunch.

Town Tavern also has good reviews.

I have not been to any of these places, but my inlaws said the pizza place is good.

• Options
    Yes Ottawa sleeper cell is also looking for alternate places to eat, keep up the foody info. Last quality workout done today bike and run.
  • Options
    Thank you Antoinette. I have passed those along.
  • Options

Had a good bike/run yesterday.  70 minute bike was 80 minutes (because I can't pay attention).  I had every intention of running immediately off the bike.  As I pulled into the driveway to swap bike shoes for running shoes, my babysitter was just backing out with the kids loaded in the car to pick up the oldest.  With my head down paying attention to my shoes and my eyes basically blinded from going to the sunlight to the dark garage, I couldn't see she had stopped at the end of the driveway to let the kids out of the car.  Once they saw that I had arrived home, they figured they didn't have to go for a ride in the car.  By the time I realized they were all running back towards the house, it was too late.  So, I had to wait til she got back with the oldest so I could run so because of the delay I pushed a little harder than the plan called for and actually my legs felt strong.  10 min z4+, 10 min z2+.  

Heading out for pool swim shortly and then to rest the legs and the mind for Sunday! 

Anyone looking for "blind" restaurant recommendations, check out Yelp.com.  You can search for Middlebury or surrounding areas.  Middlebury is small so not a ton of choices, but many other small towns surrounding it.  I think there's something for everyone.

• Options
    Rev3 says water temps at Quassy this morning at 65F. That I can deal with! See you all this weekend...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154190984025092&id=339986125091
  • Options
    Water temp is 65 per Rev3. I can live with that! (And leave the neoprene cap and booties at home)
  • Options
    More than a reasonable temp. I am still packing booties and neoprene cap though. Just in case.
  • Options

Advice sought -

Last year I spent the night at my step-sister's.  Advantage - she lives 3 miles from Quassy.  Disadvantage - I slept on an air-mattress on the floor in a cramped space and her daughter stayed up late playing loud music.  This has lead me to think about staying home and sleeping in my own bed.  However, I live about 40 miles from the venue (53 minute trip according to Googlemaps).  I can't decide which is better - being close to the venue, or sleeping in my own bed.  Any thoughts?    Thanks.

• Options
    Own bed. I'm also about 45 mins from Quassy and it isn't a big deal. (But I also drive an hour to work each way, every day). Being in your own home is much easy, and takes several worries off your plate, (sleeping, eating, forgetting things, etc)
  • Options
    Definitely stay in your own bed. A one hour drive is nothing compared to loosing a restful and relaxing pre-race nights worth of sleep. You can wake up at your own speed, get ready and not have anybody asking you if you have everything. If you remember something as you are winding down for the night it is right there in your house so you get it all set.

No-brainer to me!
  • Options

@ Leslie - my vote is definitely your own bed.  You can use the drive time to rehearse your race in your mind and get psyched up.

So, I was walking out the door for today's swim and figured I should double check the sets so I do the right "last swim" WKO.  I usually write them down and keep at the end of the pool. Come to find out today was the final run with strides.  Off to change, again, and I hit the pavement in my EN tri top.  I decided if I didn't wear the slightly-too-small top I had, I wouldn't be able to sport the team colors b/c new order not available in time for this weekend.  SO, I proudly ran in my EN top.  My neighbor said she liked it.  And, after a quick run through the wash, it'll be ready for Sunday!  Since I don't have any other EN gear, I'll be incognito til Sunday AM. 

Run done with a handful of strides.  I'm actually beginning to like them.  45 min run time, 5.04 miles.  Next run - QUASSY!

• Options

Thanks all for your prompt and unanimous replies!  I will definitely sleep in my own bed. 

I look forward to seeing you all at Saturday's lunch or bright and early Sunday morning.

• Options
    Hey gang, If you haven't read them already give the Quassy 2013 race reports a read. Lots of good stuff in them.

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Rev+Quassy+3
  • Options
    Weather reports are looking good for Sunday. Hopefully they stay that way. It looks like Saturday is a mixed bag.
  • Options
    Made it to Middlebury. Very excited about this weekend.
  • Options
    Good luck everyone
  • Options
    Update they removed the hills