Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Mike Crosby's IMTX RR

Race Name:   Ironman Texas                                       Race Date05/17/2014

Race Day Stats:

Total Time / AG Place / Overall Place: 11:53:51      /      116     /     538    

• Swim Time / AG / OA:   1:26:44     /   288        /     1431    
  • T1 Time / AG / OA:    8:24      
  • Bike Time / AG / OA: 5:49:13    /    170       /      762      
  • T2 Time / AG / OA:  8:36
  • Run Time / AG / OA:  4:20:54    /    116     /     538      

Race Day Goals:

1. Finish Under 12:30:00
    1. Did you achieve it? Yes
    2. What helped you achieve it?  Proper execution.  I knew my proper power and HR zones and stayed well within my box.

1. Swim Under 1:30:00
    1. Did you achieve it? Yes
    2. What helped you achieve it?  The race being wetsuit legal and the sheer drafting current created by a 1000+ swimmers in front of me.

The Swim -- Race Day Evaluation

Target Swim Time:    1:30:00     Actual Swim Time:      1:26:44    

Weather / Conditions / Notes:

Air Temp: Upper 60’s   /    Water Temp:   72F     /  Winds: SSW 10mph   /   Water: Light Chop   

Challenge 1: 

Overcoming Nerves           

Response 1:

I did deep-breathing exercises to calm myself.  I also retreated into my box and went into 

visualization mode, imagining what was about to take place and how I would handle it.  I went 

over my placement strategy and the swim line that I wanted to take in the main lake as well as 

the canal.   I also decided that I was going to start from the shore instead of being in the water 

as the cannon went off.

Evaluation 1:

The breathing and visualization exercises were very effective.  I’m not sure that starting from 

the shore made any difference at all.  It did cost me at least two minutes on my swim time as I

was caught in the rush to the water with the other athletes that had my same idea. In retrospect,

it was probably more stressful starting from the shore versus the water.  I plan to start in the

water next race.

Challenge 2:

Fighting the Crowd and Finding Space          

Response 2:

I had a number of reactions to this.  First reaction was to slow down if there was a big group 

in front of me and just draft off them.  Next reaction was to continuously spot for clear water and

make my way to those open spaces.  My third reaction was to get more aggressive and swim 

into and over people if that was the only way to either hold my line or continue on at my pace. 

I also adjusted to same-side breathing in order to better keep an eye on where others were 

around me as well as for better spotting.

Evaluation 2:

Slowing down and swimming behind the bigger groups helped keep my heart rate from 

exploding right at first, as it’s prone to do.  However, the net effect was that the swimmers 

behind me weren’t employing the same strategy, and therefore, I was getting my feet knocked

under and tossed about as they moved past me.  Spotting for the clear water had mixed

results.  It allowed for a few spells of bi-lateral breathing and falling into my usual swim rhythm 

without having to worry about swimming up on someone.  But, I also wasted valuable energy

and momentum as I changed my lines to go around groups in order to find some clear spots.

Finding a few temporary clear spots also lulled my into a false sense of security, as I didn’t 

spot as much and was caught off guard when my goggles were kicked off and another time 

when I took an elbow to my cheek.  Getting aggressive was a great decision.  It gave me the 

feeling of having the most control of my situation.  It also caused me to be bothered less when 

someone got aggressive with me.  I actually established a better rhythm this way.  Finally, 

changing to same side breathing allowed me to better track where other swimmers were around 

me, as well as track boats and kayaks.  Luckily, being a bilateral breather makes it easy for me

to alternate to either side for same-side breathing as needed.

The Bike -- Race Day Evaluation

Target Bike Time: Sub 6 Hours Actual Bike Time: 5:49:13 

Temperature: 82F     /     Winds: SSW 10-20mph     /     Consistant Cross Wind, Varying Road 

Surfaces, Flat to Rolling Hills     

Challenge 1:

Dealing with Distraction after Transition:  Garmin Vectors over-tightened when putting bike 

back together which caused the power module to rub my shoe on every revolution, and heart 

rate monitor popped off during the early ride when adjusting my jersey.

Response 1:

Tried to remedy both situations as I was riding down Woodland Pkwy, but couldn’t fix either.

Fell back on the mantra of “focus on the things you can control, and let go of the things that you

can’t."  Until I let those two issues go, they were keeping my heart rate up and distracting me 

taking in critical nutrition early on the bike.

Evaluation 1:

Mental training was key here.  Having key mantras to fall back on, and a race plan drilled into 

my head allowed me to move on with very little ill effect on my performance.

Challenge 2:

Dosing out my effort on the bike.

Response 2:

I kept my IF down at .64-.65 for the first 45 miles, knowing that I was heading towards the 

Bermuda Triangle up near Richards.  As I got through that stretch at mile 75, I was at my target 

of .68.  I dialed it back a bit the final 37 miles and ended up at .67.

Evaluation 2:

I feel like I left a lot of time out on the bike course.  I felt an overwhelming sense of pressure 

to ride conservatively in order to preserve my run.  Judging from how I never faded or hit a wall 

on the run, I feel like I could push my IF goal towards .70-.72.  I realize that that could be playing 

with fire, but I believe there is some room for gains here.

The Run -- Race Day Evaluation

Target Run Time:     Sub 4:30:00   Actual Run Time:     4:20:54

Sunny, 85F, 10-20mph SSW Winds/  Full Sun to Full Shade, Multi-Surface, Crowded.  Great

crowd support along with quiet stretches.  3 Loop Run.   

Challenge 1:

Dosing Out My Effort    

Response 1:

Followed my pacing plan and walked 30” through rest stops.  During the run, my heart rate 

never got above Z 2.1.  After every rest stop, it dropped to Z 1.5.  The final 2 miles crept up to

Z 3.1.   

Evaluation 1:

Just like on the bike course, I feel like I left some time out on the run course.  With my overall

goal being to finish, combined with watching the progressive carnage on the run course as each 

lap passed, I think that I kept it really conservative out there.  I have a marathon history of hitting 

the wall at mile 19, so I feared that may be looming, even though I was feeling good.  My run is 

definitely my strength, and I believe that next time I will listen to my body as well as the heart 

rate data, and try to up the pace a notch if all signs are good.

Next Time -- Overall Lessons Learned

Use the space below to capture a few critical things that you learned, not covered above, that you will want to remember for your next big race!

Next time, I will focus on my pre-race breakfast.  I somehow ignored that piece of the nutrition plan, and got lucky to be rooming with a teammate that bailed me out.  

I will take a pump with me into T1 pre-race, as many athletes are not willing to start passing their pump around.

I will make sure to leave my sunglasses in my T1 bag instead of accidentally on my head at the swim start.  Thanks for bailing me out Coach.  Sending some Starbuck’s love your way for that!

I will study where the rest stops are on the bike course to see if it’s possible to have only one or two bottles on the bike instead of three, based on conditions, to cut down unnecessary weight on the bike.  

I easily have 8 free minutes to capture if I practice my transitions.  They were abysmal.

I will continue to race in my box, but just a little closer to the edges of it.

Comments

• Options
    Nice race, Crosby.  And a good read of a RR (different style, which was cool).  I like your constant self-assessment.  Your bike/run times are almost identical to what I did in my first, and the only reason I went a few minutes faster (11:36) was because I swam a little quicker and didn't stop to bake cookies in transition.   If I were you, I'd be ecstatic with this first-time result and really excited about all the opportunity you have in the future.  As you build confidence in your stroke and ability to mix it up MMA-style on the swim, you've got a good 15 minutes you can shave there.  An easy 10 minutes to shave in transition (17 combined minutes could have easily been 6).  Probably 15-20 easy minutes on the bike, assuming you continue to add a little power and refine execution.  And there's no reason at all you can't run a 4-hr marathon. Add those up, and you've got some incredible potential.  Best of luck on the rest of your season.  Hopefully we can re-assemble the group and do this again.  Congrats again.
  • Options

Mike, great report and just plain smart on your race execution staying in your box bro!

Now, as you described below, you can race a little more towards those edges on round two coming up.

I really enjoyed meeting you at camp and sharing the journey together.

Hope recovering is coming along well for you.

What is next?

IMUA!!  SS

• Options
    Congratulations on achieving your goals ! I like the report, I am going to use the format to evaluate races moving forward. Thank You
  • Options
    Mike, Awesome first IM , big congrats... When all you can come up with is ,I may have biked and ran too conservatively and left too much on the table , your in a really good place..... Well done.... Time flies in transition , go over what is really necessary , minimize everything , then practice = Free Time! WTG!
  • Options
    Great job Mike!!! You killed in on your first IM! Execution like a pro. Ok...except for transitions...but mine were worse, so who am I to talk? image

Excited to see what's in store for you in the future!

• Options
    Mike: very well executed race -- congrats!!

I started the IMCDA bike last summer with 3 Perform bottles and dropped down to two for IMTX this year to save some weight and didn't have any issues. I averaged ~1+ bottle per hour and even skipped a few rest stops, but never came close to running out of Perform.

Can't wait to follow your progress!
  • Options
    Great RR Mike! When's your next IM?
  • Options
    @MR and SS- I've said it before, but meeting you two at training camp changed the face of my race day. I learned a lot about proper execution and different strategies that I was able to apply. Much appreciated!!!

@Gonzalo- Brenda posted a link to the RR form that I used. It's a little "dry" compared to other's race reports, but the format is great at capturing race day details.

@AS- It was nice meeting you after the Team dinner on Thursday night. I remember following your training and thinking that I was never going to complain about how bad I thought my winter weather was. You showed the heart of a champion after the way your race went down this year. I know you'll get another chance to shoot for the race you were hoping for. That's what keeps us going, right?

@MW- thanks for the kudos. I agree with the bottle assessment. My average speed meant that I was going to hit 2 rest stops an hour, which was the number of bottles that I needed to consume. I ended up only using my aerobar-mounted Speedfill bottle for the last ?'s of the ride and left my rear two bottles empty the rest of the ride.

@CK- I'm not sure. I have a half that I'm racing in Aug. As for another full, I'm going to have to wait a little while before the wife is willing to discuss with meimage It will either be one that is within an 8 hour drive (Maryland, Louisville, Chattanooga, or Florida) to save expenses, or a tropical destination in order to give my wife something to look forward to. I would also like for it to be another EN focus race, because it was nice to have the team support in Texas. What about you, any plans?
  • Options
    Regarding upcoming races, I'll do some local sprints/Olys this summer, gear up for Miami 70.3 in late Oct.  Next year, I have no plans after IMNZ in early March.  I'm anxious to see the EN Key Races for '15, as I agree that the team atmosphere around TX was stellar.  The only caveat is that I'll probably avoid the super hilly courses (WI, Tahoe, Canada, LP) because FL is completely flat.  The intermediate ones probably suit me and EN best (i.e., CDA, Louisville, Choo), as they require focus and execution and present lots of opportunities for the 90% to screw it up (I saw the 90% hard at work screwing up the TX bike course).  Boulder is at altitude (nope), and I didn't like AZ's crowded 3-loop bike course.  Looking forward to feedback on MD and Choo this year.  And I'd love to do FL again even though I've done it 2x.  It's easy to get to, cheap to stay at, beautiful ocean swim, single loop (flat/fast) bike course, and fun 2-loop run.  The big downside to FL is the time to sell out (instant) and the rampant cheating (drafting).   
  • Options
    Nice work. Solid start to your career.
  • Options
    @ MR et al: I asked Coach P about the '15 focus races and he told me IMLP, IMWI, IMChat/Choo. Gonz and I are zeroing in on IMLP which is an easy trip and a classic which we haven't done before