Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Week 16/5 … Don't Slack Yet!

I'm glad to see all the campers have taken two days off as advised. Now is NOT the time to let fatigue start to overwhelm our training. The next two weeks put the turbo charger onto the V8s we've been building.

Since I (a) didn;'t do the RR run, (b) did not do the two long bikes back to back and © took the day after my Sat RR off, I felt confident about hitting the swim yesterday morning and then running 2:15 in the evening. I felt OK this morning, except for some residual under hydration, so I went back out for the FTP interval session on one of my go to routes here in the central Rockies - Maroon Creek Road. It's 7.5 miles from the bridge over the creek to the bus turnaround at the end of the road, rising about 1300' in that span. So not too steep (mostly 3-6%), I can do most of it in the aerobars. It usually takes me 42-45 minutes, either as a one shot TT, or split into intervals. I did 14' (2.5') 16' (2') 8.5', just following the terrain for resting points. I did the whole thing @ 0.94 IF (altitude adjusted), VI 1.01, 43:30. And then I get to see this for the last 3 miles:

Comments

• Options

Awwwww....the Bells. I miss that ride. If I remember correctly, I won that TT back in 2011. 

I have noticed an increase in accumulated fatigue since camp week (1 week earlier). Last week I hit all the high and medium priority WO's but dropped all lows. Then took saturday off and did an Olympic in Walla Walla on Sunday. Have been back to the plan since and hit all my paces on the run today. I have been doing all the swims including all the extra credit. So getting about 14,000 yards a week in the pool. 

• Options
    @Al - thanks for posting a picture that once again reminds me of how much I dislike the Dallas terrain. That is an amazing view...simply stunning.

I woke up this morning feeling like whatever mojo I may possess had left my body. I managed to get myself out of bed and over to the YMCA where I got my 4200 meters in...it wasn't fun...I didn't enjoy it...BUT, I got it done and am glad I did.

I went and saw my MAT guy over lunch - found I am really tender on the muscle connectors of my IT band and hamstrings and calves...well, really my whole lower body. We'll see how tomorrow's ride go...I'll wait until the morning to make a call on the low priority run.

Hope everyone had a productive day today!
  • Options
    I am definitely still recovering from camp week. I was able to swim this morning. I am glad I did because I think it helped loosen up my legs. Tomorrow morning I will do the bike and then run at lunch. My left lower leg is pretty sore in the lower calf muscles so the run might be wait and see. Coach P says I no longer need to be doing my long runs at high intensity which is a relief. I will do the next two at z1.
  • Options
    I just realized we have race rehearsal swims each Friday for the next 3 weeks. Interesting...
  • Options
    Did my long run yesterday early. Got 18 miles in 2:32:00. Felt pretty good, was able to go LRP-20" which was my target and negative splitted by over a minute. Zone 2 on my long runs seems impossible right now with all the accumulated fatigue. Today was the swim RR and finished in 1:11:25 which is 33 seconds faster than the last RR. Man that is a boring workout. The good news is we have three more before race day.
  • Options
    @Steve - it sounds like you and I are in the same spot. My long run was LRP - 29" and the closest I've been able to get to zone 2 is +15' for one mile. My legs just don't have it in them to get there these days.

Good job on the improvement on the swim. I'm not sure why it totally caught me off guard that we get to do the RR three more times - but for some reason I was really surprised. And yes...talk about boring!!

Keep going!
  • Options
    I agree, the straight 4200 is boooorrring! Nothing like staring at the bottom of a pool for an hour plus. I did my 4,200 in 1:07 last week but I think that it might be tough to get below that today....we shall see.
  • Options
    To reduce the RR swim boredom, I'm breaking it up this year into 2x900, 2x700, 2x400, 2x200 for yds (20") -meters would be sl. different - or, if feasible, do,it in open water. The little lake where I swim is six "lengths" = 3800 meters. I hope I get out this morning ... Drizzling now
  • Options
    I am with you guys... it's hard to face that long swim in the pool. I was about a minute slower than last week, if I got my counting right. I believe that yesterday's run is to blame. I hit my Z2 heart rate for the 70 min, and I hit a good pace for the last 20 min, but I think it took a lot out of me. Hurting today after the swim and not looking forward to getting up at 3:30 am tomorrow to find the time to get the bike in between grad and family commitments. Good luck this weekend everyone!
  • Options
    I have had a pretty good week. Coach P instructed me to just do the long run steady and not try to hit Z2, so I did 20 miles at a 7:27 pace which is sort of Z1+ for me (Zone 1 should be 7:48). It was a nice mental boost to see 20 miles on my watch for the first time. I did the swim and run this morning and my legs are now FRIED!

We are trying to brainstorm a new route for tomorrow because I don't know if mentally I can do the local bike path again for 5 hours image
  • Options

@ steven & Steve - I'm jealous of those swim times - that's what I was doing 5 & 10 years ago  But I'm still alive and swimming 

Everyone - seeing many comments about "not hitting Z2" on the long runs, either by necessity or plan … Yep, these 2-3 weeks we are in now are when we will feel the MOST fatigued, and will seem to have lost all that FAST we built earlier in the year. But everything should be focused now on FAR. In the runs, I adjust mentally by thinking of my zones as ranges, not specific times. So, my LRP/Z1 is 8:40-9:30; my MP/Z2 is 7:40-8:30, etc. As long as I creep along within that range, I feel OK. And overall, I like to see the long run avg pace end up right on the border between Z1 and Z2.

And, looking ahead to next week when there is a terse built into the plan; if you haven't seen Coach P's Cocah Chat podcast for this week, he goes in depth on that very issue: how to decide whether to test or not, what to do if you don't test, etc. The link is at the top of the Dashboard.

• Options

I usually don't test this late in the season, but i am going to next week because I didn't test on the last one due to coming off Boston and having the flu. I want a "true" number to shoot for at Couer d"Alene. I will post those numbers and get some advise from the wise ones on how I should tackle my "new" FTP.

• Options

Al- I may have improved my swim a few minutes since last racing/testing for Ironman swim. My tests are a little faster and my Olympic swim has improved by 1 minute, old= 27:00...new 26:00 at Olympic Tri last weekend. If that carries over to an Ironman length swim it should translate to 3 minute swim improvement. 

• Options

Posted By Steve Swanlund on 30 May 2014 03:37 PM

Al- I may have improved my swim a few minutes since last racing/testing for Ironman swim. My tests are a little faster and my Olympic swim has improved by 1 minute, old= 27:00...new 26:00 at Olympic Tri last weekend. If that carries over to an Ironman length swim it should translate to 3 minute swim improvement. 

When I was 26:xx in Oly race swims, I was doing 1:06/7 for IM distance, FWIW.

• Options
    A 1:07 swim would be a 4 minute PR for me, I could live with that.
  • Options
    Skipped the pre-bike run this morning due to sore foot, hoping its not PF. But got 96 miles at .751 IF. Didn't feel great during the bike, stomach was a little queasy and had to force down the calories. But got it done and will do tomorrows ABP ride early tomorrow.
  • Options
    Felt really tired this morning, only 6 hours of sleep last night. I was hoping my training buddy would be late so I could take a quick powernap in the car. We were both early... I did not feel like training but once we got going I got my mojo back. I nailed the run and did 90 miles at 0.73 IF. By my count only two more long rides!
  • Options
    Yeah I wasn't feeling it either this morning....mainly just wanted to sleep in. Regarless, I was running by 6:30 am and hit my paces then biked 92 miles but got fatigued towards the end of the ride.
  • Options

I got my 40 minute run it but there was nothing Z4 about it!  Spent the run in Z1 minus 30 seconds....feeling very "comfortable" at that pace these days.

My five hour bike experience today felt like a big mess.  I was all over the place in terms of power - primarily because I spent my ride actively seeking out the three or four hills of any substance on my ride.  I mean....I have never circled these hills as much as I did today - and all I have to show for it is a pitiful 2,659 feet of upness.  Dallas is so pathetically flat it's depressing (I did my undergrad at JMU - right off the Blue Ridge Parkway...oh how I miss that part of the country!).  I know Rich said that CDA's 5,000k of elevation is not a big deal...but for those of us living in flat terrain (or at least me) 5,000 feels like a really big deal. 

Anyway - the net result was an ugly 85 mile ride with an IF of .854 and a VI of 1.173.  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/510838950

• Options
    @David do you know what your cassette gearing is? I am switching my 11-25 for an 11-26 so I can stick to my watts in CDA. The right gears will make it possible to flatten the course so the hills will truly be no big deal.
  • Options

Was suppose to get a 5 hour ride yesterday with 7-25 min z2 intrevals but could only get 3.5 hours in due to back really tight  i will hit the 3.5 this morning and hope it doesnt trash me for next weeks training ....getting the nutrition dialed i every time i ride but still need to fix the salt level as it gets pretty hot toward the end of the rides and i am losing focus  but this is the best training i have done for iron man prep and am looking forward to a succesful finish and a much better time

• Options
    Peter- if you are going to change your cassette I would go to a 28 cog (12-28) if you want to flatten out the CdA hills. I am using a 12-30.
  • Options
    Coach Rich recommended the 11-26 for me. I am really light and I could just about do it with the 11-25. I agree though that the 11-28 is probably a good general recommendation.
  • Options
    I'll take a look at the cassette though to be honest...not sure I want to buy one more thing for my bike!! In terms of making an impact - would the switch from my standard cassette (which I'm not positive but I think it's a 12-25) to a 12-28 cassette be a big change? Does the 12-28 just make it easier to spin up the hills? And then does it make a difference on the stretches when you're trying to get speed on the downhill sections / flat sections.

@Peter - on an unrelated note...I feel like i remember reading about how your cadence count was a red flag at IMCALI and it looks like your average cadence on your ride yesterday was in the low 70s. What are you going to shoot for in IMCDA? I'm thinking the sweet spot for me is 88-90 per minute....
  • Options
    I want to shoot for the mid 80s, which is what i did in the first race rehearsal. The 11-28 will make a big difference for being able to spin uphill. The 11 I think is better than the 12 so you can push the power on the downhills. A new cassette is only like 80$ and would make a huge difference on race day, especially since you are not used to hills.
  • Options

The difference between a 25 and 28 large cog is huge when climbing. And since you will retain the 11 as the small cog you'll have that gear for downhills. There will be a few "holes" in your gears so it will take a few rides to get used to it. Check out this cool Gearing Calculator you can customize your gearing and see how it changes.

• Options

Today's ABP ride started out on a sore bum. I knew that I wasn't going to go the full 210 minutes due to other obligations and since I did some extra credit on yesterdays ride. I ended up with 41 miles in 2:15 with IF of .842. After about 10 minutes of riding the pain in my tush went away and I was able to concentrate on holding the power. Looking forward to my "easy" day tomorrow of 3800 yards in the pool.  which will be my shortest swim in a month.

• Options
    okay....you guys have convinced me on the cassette. I called my LBS and they have some cassettes in stock...so I'll swing by this week & have it put on. Thanks for the feedback...when it comes to the bike the hills are the things that give me the most heartburn.

As for today's 3 1/2 hour ABP ride - I felt good about my effort. Ended up with 67 miles, an IF of .83 & a VI of 1.036. Got a flat tire about 2 1/2 hours in which ended up being a total blessing b/c I discovered that somewhere along the way I must have picked up a box of different CO2 cartridges b/c the adapter in my bag would not fit on them!! A guy stopped and let me use his. So glad to have made that discovery now! Plus it gave me a chance to practice changing a tire - was able to get it done in 10 minutes. Room for improvement but not too bad!

Four weeks to go!!
  • Options
    Figured I'd close the loop on the gearing conversation....

I swung by my LBS at lunch. Turns out my Felt road bike came stock with a 12-28 cassette. A little disappointing b/c I was hoping to pick up a little something to make the hills easier!!! But I guess if I wanted easy I should have opted for a winter/spring/summer of ice cream and cupcakes rather than an Ironman!!

I did go ahead & swap it out for an 11-28 to pick up some speed on the downhill side of life. Appreciate the feedback on the gearing...that's new territory for me. Always love learning more!