Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Kim's Quassy Report

Let me preface this report by stating that I swore I'd never do this race. I've done the Oly for the past 4 years and have come a long way but could never imagine doing 2x the Oly. But I did it for a few reasons... 1) I wanted to do a hilly half before registering for Lake Placid in 15 and 2) I got a free entry.

So, there I was. I had decent training leading up to the race but not as much bike miles as I would have liked due to crappy spring weather, I had a rough day before the race as a result of getting a flat tire on my car the day before that took like 3 hours out of my life and caused unnecessary stress. Who knew a new car wouldn't come with a spare? Was hoping that would mean no flats on race day!

At the swim start i realized i forgot my Gu and was feeling hungry. Not a great way to start so I found a guy with some extra and had Powerbar banana.blueberry thingy. Crisis averted! Started in the last swim wave and felt pretty good. Nothing to write home about. Walked fairly leisurely to T1 to keep HR down and get the wetsuit stripping started. Got all my stuff together, ate a Stinger waffle, drank 1/2 red Bull and off I went.

I had Coach P's power file analysis screencast from my last Quassy RR in my head and I tried to manage as best I could with my FTP and running ability, or lack of. I had some saddle discomfort after about 20 miles, either due to tri shorts vs bike shorts, or perhaps trying new shorts wasn't the best idea, but none of my others were comfortable either! Peed around mile 15 (tried to go during the swim but couldn't!). Stuck to my nutrition and had a total of 3 bottles of my special Infinit/Gatorade blend and 1/2 bottle of Gatorade from the course. Loved the descents! Coming into transition, I felt like a celebrity with my cheering section waiting for me, all 13 of them! Overall, .76IF, which was about what I did for the 2nd RR but I think I managed it a bit better this time, but still not perfect (even with Coach P in my head). I was aiming for .76-.78IF based on my weak run.

The run was going to be tough and it was. I felt pretty good on the flats and downhills but walked and whined on the hills. Lol. Knowing I had my crowd kept me going. Got a boost from the crowd at the turn by the park and kept going. Did a little more running then walked that last hill before the finish. My crowd greeted me and my friend's kids ran across the finish with me which was cool.

My results were about what I expected. Here are the results compared with my previous Half Iron races, although u can't really compare Quassy to anything else!!

Timberman 2011
Swim 56:59 (lake, no wetsuit)
Bike 3:48
Run 3:02
Total 7:56

Rev3 Maine 2012
Swim 45:46 (ocean, wetsuit, rumored to be short)
Bike 3:29
Run 3:12 (very rough, felt like crap)
Total 7:39

Rev3 Quassy 2014
Swim 45:08 (lake, wetsuit)
Bike 4:02
Run 2:56
Total 7:54

Goal was just to finish but was hoping to get closer to the Maine time. thought i might have been able to get a better run, but the hills were just too much. Got a swim and a run PR, so not bad. I have only been swimming once a week this season so surprising that the swim was my best in terms of age group ranking!

I'm doing Timberman again this year so that will be good to compare apples to apples.

As a side note, I have decided to NOT do Placid in '15 as my 2nd IM. Maybe someday, but I'm just not strong enough for a tough, hilly course like that, and feel another year won't be enough based on my time at Quassy. I may consider Maryland in '15, or maybe do another year of short course....

Great to see all the EN crew at lunch sat. and on race day! You guys rock!

Comments

• Options
    Kim, congratulations on a great race! I did Quassy last year and it's a bitch! The fact that u had a PR on the run shows how strong you are getting! Don't sell yourself short. You totally can do an ironman next year!
  • Options
    Fantastic job Kim! You looked totally great heading out on the run and you got it done. Great job!
  • Options
    Having seen your hard work and effort via Strava, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that you couldn't rock a full distance. Congrats on your Quassy finish!
  • Options
    Kim, A PR swim is good.... But a PR run on that course is huge! Timberman is gonna feel downhill with a tailwind compared to Quassy! You continue to make steady , consistent improvements and your not done yet!
  • Options
    I remember reading your Quassy race reports last year and how how you wrote that you would never do the half. Amazing that you not only did the half, you set PR's along the way. Great job. How about Challenge AC in 2015?
  • Options
    Larry - challenge AC is another option. My concern about that is it is a hair early in the season, especially if we have another crappy spring like this year. I don't enjoy doing more than a couple hours on the trainer...
  • Options
    Kim, what a great day you had. I'm with the rest of the group. You can totally do a full next year, but I am also someone who believes that the individual (in this case, you) has to believe they can do it. What made me believe is going to a training camp. When I did my first 112 mile bike ride followed the next day by a 1hr swim + 56 mile bike ride and then a 13.1 mile run the next day, I knew I had it in me to do a IM and signed up. Whatever you choose to do, you will be supported by the OSC and the team. I am going to sign up for Chatanooga. Perhaps you could join me there :-)
  • Options
    Kim, I have been watching your diligent and steady progression for a few yrs now. I can tell you that setting a run PR on that Quassy course is nothing short of shocking! Because not only is the run miserable and hilly (I walked all those same hills last yr) but you start it after getting trashed on the bike. So I'd bet you could finish IMLP 'this' year if you were signed up given your Quassy time. And knowing how freakin' hard you work, you will be even stronger by next yr, so I'd say do it. But similar to what Brenda said, you'll probably want a couple of camps on the calendar to get the confidence of riding big hard miles for multiple days in a row. Is it in the cards to take a long weekend up to Placid this summer (it's not that far away) and just ride one loop of the bike course on back to back days? You might actually surprise yourself. Whatever you decide, keep us posted and we'll all keep supporting you and being inspired by your effort and progress.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the positive words! I'm sure I could FINISH IMLP but I just barely finished IMFL so I'm kind of looking to do more than just finish my next one. I have definitely made improvements but I still have a ways to go when it comes to hills on the bike and the run. Fact is, I just enjoy flat riding more. (Actually, I prefer downhills so if anyone finds a downhill course, let me know.) image

I may still attend IMLP camp this year, since I've already paid for it, but will probably reserve the race for another year... Looks like it will be between Challenge AC and IMMaryland.
  • Options
    Kim a great race for you and good signs of improvement for sure, especially given how evil this race is. You have quite the support crew (online here and in the real world, I saw them all day!) and I am excited to follow your progress especially when you get to Timberman!!!
  • Options
    Kim- well done. Great takeaways from the race. Good to see you out there and best at Timberman....that's my favorite race I've done!