Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

05/31 Capitol of Dreams OLY RR

Excited to have my first OLY of the season under my belt! This was a fantastic event. We jumped off the side of a boat to start the point to point down river swim. The bike was relatively flat and the run had rolling hills except for the double hill on the double loop run.

Followed the same nutrition protocol I did for the race rehearsal and that went well. I woke up at 2 am and made a protein shake - glad I did as I felt great at the swim start.

I was 6/12 in my AG - they did not post overall rankings in the official results (I believe I saw I was 43 overall in the unofficial posting)

SWIM: 27:47 (PR) with the river current - have made a still have to work on my technique - the good news is my legs felt great after the swim

T1: 4:17 - We had to exit the water on a single person ladder - I got held up about 15 sec waiting on the person in front of me. They had strippers to help with the wet suits so that was good. The run to T1 was a little distance. I could probably shave 1' - 1.5' next time around.

BIKE: 1:17:01 (PR) - NP 214W - FTP: 228W - IF: 0.937- TSS: 111 - Cadence: 93 - HR: 145

I believe I started off too fast on the bike - my IF was 0.99 for the first 5 mile lap. I worked on adjusting that throughout the race. By the ended up right where I was during my RR. I was really glued to tracking my power up until the last lap (I can tell the difference in the numbers). I also kept a much higher cadence than ever, which means I am improving my ability to effectively manage my gears (the flat course helped too). Next time, I will work to start off slower and allow a ramp up. That should also help me keep a more stable HR toward the end of the ride.  

Hats off to the EN training plan, resources, and riding with power. This was the fastest I have ever been on the bike in a race! I know I still have a lot of room to grow (especially since I am new to power).

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/512051022 (BIKE GARMIN CONNECT)

RUN: 51:18 - 8:21 pace - current Z4: 8:12 - cadence: 83 - HR: 154

Legs still felt good for the run. Good, consistent pacing but dropped back to Z2 on the hilly miles 4 and 5.

Mile 1: 8:09, Mile 2: 8:22, Mile 3: 7:56, Mile 4: 8:48, Mile 5: 8:55, Mile 6: 8:10, Mile 6.2: 6:22

Overall, I had a good time and it was a good race! Looking forward to the next one as I ramp to Augusta 70.3.

Comments

• Options
    Great work Thomas!
    I can't look at your bike file. I think you need to do something to allow us to load that file.
    BTW are you aware that the EN approved pacing for an Oly is an IF on the bike between 0.88 and 0.92, and the run @ HMP?
  • Options
    @Peter - thanks for the feedback. The race went great. I ended up at -0.93 IF. Looking forward to the next one on 6/21.