Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Brenda Ross Rev3 Quassy Race Report

Drove in from Ottawa (7+ hours) with hubby and team mates, Trevor MacLean, Natalie and Brent Pilon, Evan O'Regan and his wife LeeAnn.  ROAD TRIP = FUN.  Checked in at registration at 3, drove the race course and then headed to dinner where we meet up with Race Captain Simon Shurey who was also our room mate for the weekend.

Simon was doing the double (Oli on Sat/Half on Sun), so dinner was early and then we headed back to our respective hotels to rest up for our cheering duties for Saturday.  Saturday we spend the day down at the race event. Got to meet up with fellow team mate Carlos Sanchez and maybe even talked a spectator into becoming a team member (never off duty )

Went back to hotel after Simon finished, took bike for a test drive in the hotel parking lot, loaded her up and headed to team dinner at Maggie McFlys, were I got to see some of my fav people (Leslie Schneider, Michelle Swanson, Chris Love, Kim Dubord, Coach P and Laura Becker) After lunch dropped my bike off in transition and headed back to hotel to rest up and find a restaurant to eat dinner.

Dinner was great and I slept well. Decided that if I woke up to go pee in the night I would ingest 2 x Boost drinks and so it was to be. Woke up at 4:15am well rested, calm and ready to  go down to breakfast.  Had some oatmeal, coffee and then headed to race. Got a great parking space and then chatted up a team mate Mark (he looked nervous) before going into transition to set up.

Race set up was smooth. Got hubby to ask me questions about my set up before we parted ways (my way of making sure I did not forget anything ). Went to tent for Team Pick and sent hubs off for his start and then went to car to disrobe and get my wetsuit on.

Headed to water around 7:10 with Natalie Pilon (we started at 7:20). Found Michelle, Kim and Leslie. Exchanged hugs and good lucks and we were off.

Swim - GOAL: Not panic in the water.  I had been swimming in the OS 3x a week in a pool , so I was secretly hoping that maybe, just maybe this would make a difference.  I had only swam once in OW before the race. I am a slow swimmer with my best ever time being 46+ minutes, so I was hoping for something around 46 or 47.  The swim was uneventful. Gun went off, jostled for a spot, and found my groove before the first buoy.  Sighting seemed to be good, until I turned the first buoy and could see nothing.  Someone in a kayak asked me if I could see.  I said no. She said...follow the sun, so that is what I did.  Once I turned the second buoy everything was clear and I could see my way into the shore.  I noted that I did not feel tired or did not feel like the swim was long, so perhaps all the swimming in the OS and HIM plan did pay off. Came out of the water in 48:03.  27/37 in AG. 2:29/100m

Transition 1 - 4min flat. Not exactly fast, but better than previous years.

Bike - GOAL: 3:30  I was confident that this was a time I could do. I went to the Blueridge Mountain Camp for 4 days of riding, then road the IMLP loop 3 times and had been in our local Gatineau Hills once with a couple of PBs set in there, so I thought my biking legs were set, but I guess that was not what the day was to bring.  There was noting about the course that was outrageously hard. I stayed in aero for just about every hill and even wondered where the 6mile climb was that everyone talked about. Fueling was spot on (Fluid with one chew every 10 minutes).  Not sure what my IF was and not sure what my outdoor FTP is (only have indoor). Have to test outdoors. Have not download my Garmin, so maybe that will tell me something. I think I held back a bit. I have a tendency to get nervous about over cooking myself on the bike.   Got off the bike 3:34:26 Porta Potty break: 2min.  Official time: 3:38:26  18/37 AG, Avg 15:38mph. Moved up 9 spots.

Transition 2 - 2:18

Run - GOAL - Run aid station to aid station and let the time take care of itself.  I was feeling really good coming out of transition.  Had to stop for a potty break and had to wait about 2 minutes for an elderly gentleman to get out of the porta potty.  Ran into Carlo's Sanchez around mile 2. We ran together for about 2 miles, where we parted ways.  I decided before the race that I was going to rely on the race course for nutrition.  I usually take in gels every 30minutes, but when I asked for a gel at the 2nd aid station, they said they were all out. Oh no.  I ended up taking in  2 gels on this course, glad it worked out.(lesson learned - carry my own).  That is the only negative I can say about the aid stations.  Positives:  I did run aid station to aid station (Yes, even that mile 3 hill - right Carlo's) where I took in gatorade and poored water over my body to keep me cool. Switched to coke the last couple of aid stations.  I felt like I was getting stronger and stronger as I ran. Got to see team mates Natalie Pilon, Michelle Swanson, Chris Love, Leslie Becker, Kim Duford and Leslie Schneider out on the course as well. That was uplifting. Finished the run in 2:02 and 16/37 AG. Moved up 2 more spots in my AG

Overall time: 6h34:53

Stayed around after the race to bring in Kim and Leslie and chat up the rest of the EN crew. Overall I am happy with my race, especially due to the toughness of the course and the fact that I did not taper as I am in week 14 of my HIM Plan on my way to my A race Musselman in 7 weeks.  Will I do it again - sure, but not next year. I have American Zofingen on my radar as the first race of the season. Do I know how to pick them or what

I love racing with this team and am especially grateful to have the Ottawa Sleeper Cell as training partners.

Comments

• Options
    Excellent race report. The sun was a bear on the swim. It is easy to underestimate it until you make that turn. Your assessment about the hills is spot on. I think living in the hills makes such a difference. Great plan on the run. The think that really stands out about your race is how you kept moving up places. Nice work.
  • Options

Way to GO B!!! Just a B race performance?! This was a great race, spot on your time goals, and no nutrition problems… NINJA. You are on your way to smoke musselman! Look for some more OWS practice if you can get it, especally DRAFTING practice, this will give you lots of confidence and free speed. Way to go!

• Options
    Great report and great race B-

I'm glad it sounds like your nutrition was spot on and you didn't seem to have any of the GI issues that have haunted you in the past. I like how you methodically moved up through your AG throughout the day. And that is a STRONG run performance on that course. And I particularly like your choice for your first race of the season. Bring your big girl pants for that one because it's not 'flat' like the Quassy course is...

Well done indeed!
  • Options
    2:02 on the run is great! Nice job. Great report.
  • Options
    WOW Brenda! That was a great race! I am so impressed with your run:-) I totally remember that run course and it's a Bitch! LOL Great job moving up the ladder!
  • Options
    Way to go! So nice to see u again too. Sorry I didn't get to introduce u to the wifey. Things were a little hectic at the finish with my "entourage". Lol

You're going to nail Musselman!
  • Options
    B - leading from the front, as always!!! That's a great ride / run combo for you....can't wait to see what you can do when the road goes straight instead of up!!! image
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    It was great to see you there Brenda. You've put in the work and had a great race, especially given it's the first long one of the season and it wasn't your A race. Sign up again next year, especially after American Zof. American Zof will make you think Quassy is hard, but not that bad.
  • Options
    Nice job Brenda - your swimming is coming along. Your gonna surprise yourself at some race real soon. That's a solid bike/run.
  • Options

Great job Brenda and great report.  I enjoyed meeting you and look forward to seeing you in LP soon.

• Options
    Great read, great race, B! Personally, that hill at mile 12 almost killed me last year!

All of these RR's are sucking me back in!!! I'm itching to get something on the calendar for next season.... and after reading this, I think I'll be getting JW to Sherpa AmZof for ME next year!!! ;-)))

Can't wait to see you and Steve!!!!