Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Mark's Rev3 Quassy Race Report

This was my first EN race, and it was great to meet everyone.       

Swim: The water was 65 deg. and perfect once you got in. I started the swim conservative planning to build, but had a slight wardrobe malfunction about a 150 yds. in that I had to fix. This put me at the back of my wave, so I just put my head down and got my rythm and ended up with a 45:15. A little off my race rehearsal time, neverless, ok.                                                                                    

T1: 5:48 I'm just not good at getting out of the wetsuit. Not enough practice.

Bike: I knew my bike would be slow. I've never ridden in this type of terrain. After about 45', I checked my NP and it was about 30 watts higher than it should, and I could feel it, so I tried to ride like I was suppose to. My bike and riding with power are both works in progress, but I did manage to get my VI down to 1.08  TSS 237. Nutrician wise, I drank sbout 30oz. Gatorade, had a powerbar gel, and half a powerbar per hr. The timings were a little off, but I got it all down, and had 2 pee stops. Tough course, slow time (3:58), but I enjoyed it.

T2: 3:35 Still a little slow, but I was deliberate with no oopses.

Run: This is the part that I wanted to do well at. My previous halves didn't end very pretty, so I was focused on not shelling myself on the bike. I actually felt pretty good on the run start. I did walk up the big hill at mile 3.5, and a few of the larger ones, but I ran most of the way. Time:2:30. This was a PR for me by about 15mins. on a tough course.

Total Time: 7:23 A little disappointed here,alot of room for improvement.The lesson on this race was executing everything to lead to a PR run!

Comments

• Options
    Hey Rich,

Congrats on your race! You should consider displaying current power and normalized power on the same screen, and/or hitting the interval button every 20-30' so that you know what your NP is within a 20-30' window, at all times.

Finding out after 45' that your NP is 30w higher than you wanted or planned = the damage has likely already been done.
  • Options
     Thanks Coach Rich, Will do.
  • Options
    Mark, a PR on the run on that course is sick!!!! That run is no joke. You were not kidding when you said that you had a good day, when I talked to you after the race. It was nice to see you before, during and after the race. Hope this experience just let you know how far you have come and how much more you have in you. I have improved from year to year working with EN and I am excited to see what my next race will bring. Great to meet you.
  • Options
    a 15 minute PR on the run! Congratulations. That is one heck of a confidence builder going forward. Great job.
  • Options
    Nice work on the day. I am a bit concerned you only drank 30oz on the bike -- that doesn't seem like quite enough fluids. As you move forward with your season, please be sure to check out the Nutrition section of the wiki so you can start to deal this in!!
  • Options
    Mark- run PR at Quassy is a task! Congrats on the day!
  • Options
     Coach P, That's 30 oz. per hour.