Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Feeling sick, need advice

First off I had to rearrange this weeks workouts so I did RR run Tues, Wed-swim, and Thurs is long bike.  I did RR and felt good despite the hot and humid TX weather, maybe should have pushed a few more fluids but got it done.   Then last night I woke up with a sore throat and drainage.  My younger son has been battling a cold and I guess now I have it.  Today, I skipped my swim and relaxed with my 3 year old (we both took naps which never happens).  So to my question - do I proceed with my long bike tomorrow (Thurs) knowing that I'm not 100% and there is a chance due to family obligations that I can't get it in this Sat?  Thanks for the advice and help - just anxious because its JUNE and the race is closing in!

Comments

• Options

Christina - here's my theory (and advice) on colds after 4 decades as a physician, and even longer as a competitive athlete. We are ALWAYS being exposed to cold viruses. Getting symptoms is a sign that your body's defenses (immune system) has been weakened by something - in your case, the physical stress of Ironman training, which literally reaches its peak at this precise time. So your body is begging for some rest; the cold symptoms are its way of letting you know. Standing down and taking naps is exactly what you should be doing. You've already done the long run this week, right? Next week's long run and race rehearsal are more important than this week;s long bike. Make sure you are over the hump of the cold by the time those two key workouts roll around. If that means not biking tomorrow, well, it won't make one whit of difference in your performance on race day. At this point, it's better to be learning the nuances and details of the Four Keys of Ironman Race Execution than worrying about missing a couple of days training. If you can get in a 3-4 hour bike on Sat that would be a bonus, assuming you can fit it into the family's needs. Is an early AM start (0600) feasible?

Usually, in a case tike this, the forced rest actually improves your fitness, as your body has the time to consolidate the improvements you've forced it to consider with the hard training. Rest is what makes us faster/fitter, in the end.

• Options
    100% agree with Al, stand down for the long bike tomorrow. Get in what you can this weekend if you're feeling better. Number one priority is your health at this point. You've already done the work. But important to nail the RR bike next week.
  • Options
    Al & Steve - thanks for the advice. I haven't trained in the last 3 days and it's killing me. My body says to rest but my mind & heart just want to keep pushing forward with the schedule. I made an appointment with my Dr. this afternoon just because I can feel my chest start to tighten up and I don't need an infection right now. I'm just frustrated because I have tried so hard to stay healthy and injury.
  • Options
    Christina how are you feeling today?  Thought about you this weekend... mentally challenging to be down for sure. 
  • Options
    Jenn - Thanks for asking! I went to the Dr. and got some antibiotics - I have one more day of meds. I didn't train for 5 days which killed me! Today I got in my swim and felt a little tired but pretty glad to be back training! I really want to get in the last RR bike this week to fine tune my nutrition.
  • Options
    Glad to hear it!image