Home Classifieds
Options

Compression Socks Group Buy - Any Interest?

Here's an opportunity for team members to get a great price on compression socks.

I'm doing a bulk buy of over-the-calf compression socks in the next week for a project I'm involved in, and am letting anyone on the team that wants to piggyback to join in.  The price is $15/pair +shipping which is at our cost.  They are 20-30hg support, and made of a Coolmax/Nylon/Lycra blend.  They are thicker in the foot versus up the leg.    I've used them for recovery purposes for the past training season and they work great in that regard. I've thrown them in the wash and they seem no worse for wear though I think the instructions say you're supposed to hand wash/air dry them.  The only thing I can say negative about the socks is the soles get "dingy" quick, and never get back the the bright white of the rest of the sock.  It's not really a big deal to me, but I thought you should know in case you think that might bother you. 

I've never used them while running because I already come close to pinning the "dork meter" without them so I can't personally speak to that use. My wife (who doesn't look like a dork while running) has worn them on two of her longer runs as she ramps up for her marathon.  She said they feel like they "cuddle" her legs.  I guess that's a good thing.    

Sizing (based on US shoe sizes):

Men: Small = >7 1/2; Medium = 7 1/2-10, Large = 10 1/2- 12 1/2, XLarge = 13-15, XXLarge = >15

Women: Small = 5 1/2 - 7 1/2; Medium = 8-10; Large = >10 1/2

Our order goes in Monday night, so email me by noon CST on Monday if you would like to join in.  Let me know how many and what size(s) you'd like.    I don't have a hard delivery date yet (should be within 3 weeks of us placing the order, hopefully sooner) but in any case you won't be billed until we get them in hand and are ready to ship them out.  (Exception: If there are a few hundred + orders - there's only so much working capital I can convince my partner to tie up when he's not really getting anything out of it.  I don't think he "gets" the EN Team thing.  Anyway, we'll cross that bridge if we come to it).

I only have two requests:

1) Give me your feedback. I'm especially interested in your take if you do use them while exercising.

2) Don't order for anyone outside of EN/immediate family. 

If you have any questions/concerns, please let me know.

Thanks,

Bryan

Comments

• Options

Just a FYI - the socks are finally in.  Seems they had a lot of demand for L's this holiday season which were holding up our order a bit.

Anyway, I'll email out the invoices tonight, and we'll get the socks out pronto.  Thanks for your paitence.

Bryan

• Options

Aw crap! This fell off my radar and I got all confused in the early days of 4.0. If  you do it again, I will order. Thanks for offering this up to all of us.

• Options
    If there is even a single study on the value of compression socks for healthy athletes I would love to see it. As far as I've seen, every medical study has been on people with circualtory problems and the health benefits then extrapolated (marketed) to athletes.
  • Options

There hasn't been, and likely won't be, a peer-reviewed study.  All of the 'data' is company data on file.  Hard to imagine any company providing product without having very tight control over the protocol, for fear of a "this stuff don't work" conclusion, and hard to imagine an academic not having better things to study.

That being said, in my own n=1 experiment, I have absolutely no doubt that I have reduced soreness after tougher workouts, and am able to run again sooner when I use compression socks.  I'm sufficiently convinced that I just started another n=1 experiment with Skins recovery tights.  Early results are interesting.

I'm still quite skeptical of the 'performance improvement' claims, but haven't really investigated to any great degree. Remember, there are folks out there who will tell you that "a power meter doesn't make you faster, and there's no studies showing you that it does."  That may be true, but you'll have to pry my power meter out of my cold, dead hands... 

-Mike

• Options

How much are they?  I have been thinking of trying some out...I would probably be interested.

• Options

NEVERMIND...I just saw how much they were...I am an idiot!  I would like a pair if it isn't too late.  I am 5'10" and my wife says I have no meat on my legs, so, what size should I get?

• Options
    Forgot about this too. I guess it's too late to get in on it?
  • Options
    If you are doing another order I'm game for a few pair.
  • Options

The only thing I can say negative about the socks is the soles get "dingy" quick, and never get back the the bright white of the rest of the sock.  It's not really a big deal to me, but I thought you should know in case you think that might bother you. 

Oxy Clean will clear that up.  My yearly 'dingy white sports socks / race jersey / armwarmer' renewal protocol: 

Fill a bucket with a gallon of hot water, and two scoops of Oxy-Clean (basically, follow the recipe on the package for a general cleaning solution) and mix well. Place the items in the bucket, and soak for 2-24 hours (probably on the longer side for sports stuff).

Remove, and wash/rinse in the regular cycle on your washing machine.

I spoke with the people at Craft last year, and they said this should not damage their gear.  I assume it would be the same for other manufacturers. 

• Options
    sign me up if you order more - Thanks !