Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Canada
Options

IMC 2014 Team Dinner

I'm in charge of organizing the team dinner.

1. Make sure to fill out the Event spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...eb#gid=126

2. Dinner will be Thursday night (unless Friday would be more preferable).

3. Thinking Italian or Irish/English pub/brewhouse place might be the easiest.

4. I'd like a firm headcount by June 12th.

Comments

• Options

Bob, Melissa and I won't be arriving in Whistler till Friday.

• Options
    I'd rather it be Friday as well.
  • Options

what does the rest of Team IM CA think?

• Options
    Jan/Melissa... just make sure you're in town on Friday in time to pick up your packets. There's no packet pickup on Saturday.
  • Options

Thanks Bob. Wasn't aware of that. Unfortunately we don't get in until Friday. Since we are taking 2 weeks off afterwards, work wouldn't allow us to take more time off on the front end. Otherwise we would've been there a day earlier

• Options
    Prefer fri but can make thur work
  • Options

Posted By Jan Schorpion on 07 Jun 2014 09:12 AM

Thanks Bob. Wasn't aware of that. Unfortunately we don't get in until Friday. Since we are taking 2 weeks off afterwards, work wouldn't allow us to take more time off on the front end. Otherwise we would've been there a day earlier

Just have your packets picked up by 5pm Friday (at least that was the time last year) or neither of you are racing.

Packet pickup for full Ironman races is at least two days before the race.

• Options
    Yikes! Thanks for the info Bob! Can you tell this is our first IM? We are looking into switching the flights so we don't get ourselves into a sticky situation missing packet pick-up. Do you happen to know if a relative can pick up the packet for you if they have a photo copy of our ID? Just wondering because our parents get in Thursday night. Thanks for the help. Looking forward to race weekend image
  • Options

I contacted the IM headquarters this morning to ask about this. They referred me to Dave Mucyk, the IM Canada race director. I emailed him and I am waiting on a response. If all goes according to plan, we should be able to be there before 5 pm on Friday. But you sure got myself and Melissa worried. I feel like I am pretty well informed on a lot of things Ironman thru the forums and coaches talks and all that, but this was the first time I heard of this. I know they advise to be on site either Wednesday or Thursday so then this wouldnt be an issue, however I have a feeling we are not the only ones out of all the competitors who may run into this problem.

• Options

It's a pretty hard fast rule and clearly mentioned in the athlete guide and event schedule.   Granted, 2014 info isn't out yet but you can/should consult the prior year's schedule and guide as 99% of the info will be the same.  Barring some kind of unforeseen or completely unexpected delay you will not get an exception, and even then you might not get one.  Sorry to say but work won't give us the time off is generally not an exception as that's not an unforeseen or unexpected situation.

I realize this is your first one but the two-day prior packet pickup is a pretty well known and publicized thing.

All that stated, I was actually granted an exception for IMFL in 2010 that I ended up not having to use.  I was the lead FBI Agent for a federal trial that was originally set for August of 2010.  The trial was delayed and was reset for the week of IMFL.  Federal judges don't give a shit if you have an Ironman race to do and you adapt to their schedule whether you like it or not.  That particular judge doesn't hold court on Friday so I was going to fly into Panama City on Thursday evening but the last packet pickup was at 5pm on Thursday (as IMFL is a Saturday race).  I emailed the race director explained the situation and told him I would be in town Thursday night but just not by 5pm.  Basically, I was going to meet up with one of his subordinates and get my packet Thursday night or Friday morning.  The trial ended up getting delayed again until January so I didn't need to use my exception.  Sure my exception was "work" related but I was also under Federal subpoena and all that. 

You're doing the right thing by communicating with the RD.  He will probably tell you tough shit but it's worth the chance.

• Options
    I'm making an executive decision that dinner will be Friday the 25th. Seems to make the most sense so far.
  • Options
    I sent out many emails and made a few calls to restaurants in Whistler.  The decent Italian places were either already booked up or did not take reservations during IM week.  There were a couple of Italian places that could be a possibility but they were the $$$ or $$$$ restaurants and I don't think we all wanted to pay $60-$100 per meal.  I then checked with the Irish/English pub places and only The Brewhouse was able to take a reservation of 15-20 people on that Friday.

http://www.mjg.ca/brewhouse/

6:00pm on Friday, July 25th.  Reservation is under my name for now.  I will switch it to EN when I get there.  We have a headcount of 16 per the event spreadsheet.  The reservation is for 20 so we have room for a few more.

I ate there twice when I was in Whistler last year.  I liked it.  They have a relatively diverse menu and it's a pretty big place (especially for Whistler).  It kind of reminds me of the Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurants we have in the States.

• Options

Thanks for taking the time to figure this out Bob. See you in Whistler

• Options

Melissa and I were able to switch our flight to Thursday afternoon. We called AA earlier this week and nothing was available, called back today and it was available. What a stress relief!!

• Options
    Glad you got that sorted out. Sorry to blindside you with that but being blindsided in early-June is better than late-July when you potentially wouldn't have raced.