Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP Training Camp Thread

I thought I would create this thread for anyone who wants to discuss the upcoming training camp whether you have questions about something specific we will be doing or items you may need to bring, places you want to meet up for breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever...

Comments

• Options
    I have a lot of flexibility this week so I would like to head up to camp early on Thursday and get a swim in Mirror Lake. I'm not sure I'll be able to handle swimming after either one of the RR bike rides. Anyone else interested in meeting up for a swim on Thursday?

My 2nd question is, what is the protocol for swimming in Mirror Lake? Are there lifeguards there? If not, are there no swimming signs? Can I just jump right in and go? Thanks.
  • Options
    We will be arriving on Thursday, but not sure when. As for swimming in Mirror Lake. There are lifeguards and a roped off area for the beach. We usually just start on the outside of that rope, at the far right of the beach if you are looking out to the lake. Not sure that makes sense. Last year there was a kayaking event that was going on, and there were sign to direct us where to swim. This is the time of year that there are athletes everywhere, so just looking around you will see where to go.
  • Options
    @doug- thanks for starting this thread. Great idea. This is my first EN camp (1st ironman too!), so I'm sure I'll have a few questions over the next few days. My wife and I (she is attending camp too) are planning to get there late Thursday afternoon. We have a 5 hour ride, so if we are feeling up to it, we may do a swim.

My biggest concern are the bike rides. I'm a bit worried about my ability to do back to back long bikes. Given that I've followed the IM plan so far, I hope I'll be ok....
  • Options

I am going to try to get up early enough Thursday to get a swim in also.  I have been there many times, but have never been in Mirror Lake, so looking forward to it.  

• Options
    @Doug, great idea to start this thread.

I will also be arriving Thursday afternoon, hopefully early enough to get a swim in as well.

@Brad, The back to back bikes are my biggest concern as well. Counting on everything I've done will have prepared me for them.
  • Options
    @Brenda, thanks for the info.

@Brad & Chris, those back to back rides do look daunting. Reading the camp guidance the 2nd day will be hard but the purpose is to make you rely on your nutrition rather than solely your fitness. The only times I've ridden 112 miles I've had the next day off so I have a small amount of anxiety about it as well, but we'll get through it. And if you can't, the course is 2 loops so just do one loop on the 2nd day.
  • Options

While I'm not going to LP for race camp, I plan on doing the workouts here.  I've run into an issue:

The Monday after camp, at 0600, I have to complete my department's Physical Readiness Test which includes a 300m sprint and a 1.5 mile run.  They give us plenty of time for the 1.5 mile run, but the sprint has me worried.  I am VERY slow twitch and struggle with the sprint each test.  I can only imagine what I will feel like on Monday with the three big workouts.  I'm wondering if I should rest on Sunday, do the PRT in the AM, then the long run Monday evening.  We have practice after the PRT so its a long 12-hour day before I can do my workout.

I guess my question is am I still getting everything out of the Camp Week if I rest Sunday and run Monday? 

Thanks!

• Options
    From someone who didn't and paid the price last year - print out the cue sheet and stick it in your jersey! Only 3 roads, but if you forget/get confused and don't have hard copy directions, you may suffer the consequences (cell reception may not be available, so no calls, texts, or data; no access to water in certain areas, etc.)

@Brad, Chris, and Doug - think most sane people feel that way about Day 2 until they've done it. I agree with Doug, if after loop 1 on Saturday, you decide you are done, then stop there. But you'll be great. And at the end of the weekend, you'll know you can handle the LP course and exactly how to do it. Hey - if EN could get me through it, they can definitely get you there!
  • Options

@Doug, What time are you heading up. I plan on leaving Oswego around 7A. I will definitely be swimming Thursday. I really need to get my OWS form back. Also, I plan on immersion therapy after the ride & run Friday. Someone said Mirror lake was 65 degrees. Without a wet suit, that will be cool enough to help those muscles recover.

• Options
    @Edwin, early, probably around a similar time as you, I like to give myself plenty of time. I'll be leaving from my parents in Camden. Maybe we can meet up for a swim. That immersion therapy sounds like a good idea!
  • Options
    Question for the group, especially those that've attended an EN camp: I was reading. Coach P's email regarding camp and see that he has a sign up sheet for different paces for the bike rides. My initial response was to sign up for the middle group which was 17mph I think. But, now I'm rethinking for 2 reasons. 1 - I'll be attending camp with my wife who is a bit nervous on the bike and thought that staying with her for at least day1 would be good. 2 - For the distance that we are biking, I'm not sure how much above 16mph I'll be after 2 loops on the course. This will be my longest ride to date. Any guidance or suggestions from the group?
  • Options

@Brad, this is my first time attending camp AND riding the LP course so I don't have any "Wicked Smart Member" advice, however, I signed up for the first ride time figuring if I want to take an easier preview ride, pay a bit of attention to the course and not kill myself so I could ride both days, this was the best slot.  After all, these are training rides and not race day.  If I feel good and want to go somewhat faster, I can do that.  I don't think you can go wrong by going with an earlier wave.  

• Options
    @Brad - no WSM qualifications, but I did go to IMLP camp last year. The waves are formal in the sense that a group actually leaves then, but no one cares what wave you choose. The earlier start time gives the slower group more time, so the finish time is the same (or at least closer). It also gives the relative speeds an opportunity to meet up with others of similar speeds and conveniently breaks up the rather large group.
  • Options
    Thanks, Antoinette and Kerri. I figured the same and will start at 7 and take it from there. Looking forward to next week!
  • Options
    @Kerrie and Antoinette, Thanks for you insight & info on the camp logisitics.

@Brad, I was also waffling on which wave to join. I'm leaning towards the early one at this point.
  • Options
    OVERALL do not worry about your average speed if you have never ridden there before. If you are not sure, assume slower. If you are sure, go get em. However, It is about sticking to YOUR PLAN...power or heart rate...and your hydration & nutrition.

I went to the camp last year, and raced there last year, and will be there next week too. STICK to YOUR plan, and if you see me pushing hard up the hills please hit me with something.
    That is a hint to come up with a plan of what NP (or Avg HR) YOU want to ride as a goal for the day, how much you need to eat & drink, how much you can carry....is sounds simple but do not be the one freaking out Thursday night about how to balance an extra water bottle someplace...that was me the first time.

Oh and review the course maps that Patrick sent out!!!
  • Options
    I have some change of plans so I will likely be arriving fri night. Anyone else arriving late? Parents and wife might join too.... Mini family vacation! Hoping to be back to 100% after this stupid stomach bug for the past 3-4 days. Feeling better today but still weak.
  • Options

I am not able to make the camp and have a room booked at the Hampton Inn at the EN rate. If anyone is interested, I can call them about a possible transfer instead of just cancelling my reservation. My spot in the camp is also available for any late joiners.

~Bill

• Options
    Does it make sense to bring 2 bikes to camp? (Tri and road).....or is this just total overkill?
  • Options
    If you're going to ride two bikes in the race it mightimage. I guess if one breaks on the first day and can't be fixed right away you would have a backup. I'm only bro go g my tt bike. I can't sit on my road bike for more than 90 minutes so I'd be hosed no matter what.
  • Options
    I doubt I'll bring both, but I figured I ask. The back to back days worry me a bit so it was just a thought. Hopefully none of us have any major mechanicals!
  • Options
    Just a public service announcement. I have net been there this time of year personally, so take it for what it's worth, but I'm hearing that the black fly situation is nuts right now in LP....swarming, biting, nasty insects. I've experienced black flies before, and they are a real pain in the a$$, especially for people like me who are more prone to insect bites. I could just imagine my bike IF blowing me up by trying to outrun those nasty things image Assuming this is the case, does anyone have any good repellent ideas?
  • Options

Brad, it seems that we are neighbors (I live in Weston) and yet I failed to meet you at Quassy. I will be leaving home ~ 7 on Thursday and will try to swim in the afternoon. Hope we can meet this weekend and maybe do a couple rides before LP. Question for you, where do you do OWS around here? I was thinking Compo or Sherwood. Thoughts?

• Options
    Brad, if you or anyone does have issues go see Karl at Placid Planet. He is a mechanical genius.
  • Options

@ brad and Antoinette....I signed up for the earliest ride. I plan to ride easy on Day 1 for two reasons (maybe 3). I want to learn the course, I want to save my legs for Saturday and I am very nervous about 224 miles over 2 days

• Options

Great, weather forecast calls for 50% chance of rain....with my luck it will turn to 100%! 

• Options

@ Carlos - great!  I look forward to seeing you there.  I figured I could use all the time on the course they're going to give us.  I want to get a feel for the course, but am not "racing" this weekend.  2 days of 112 back to back will be a challenge so slow and steady for me (except for where there's free speed...I'll take it!)

@ Brad, I don't have any bug repellent secrets, but I'll bring all the ammo I have.  I use mostly all natural stuff and have a few bug bands and stuff I'll bring to share.  Not sure how great they work, but worth a try.

• Options
    @Larry - thanks for recommendation....although I'm sure Karl is a good dude, I'm hoping I won't need his services!

@carlos - I guess we missed each other at Quassy. I didn't make it to the lunch the day prior. We should definitely get some rides in together after camp - I ride through Weston all the time. As for OWS, I generally swim in great pond (ridgefield). This is where they hold the TriRidgefield sprint. There is usually a small group that swims (at their own risk) early mornings during tri season. I personally don't enjoy swimming in the sound, although I've done it!

@antoinette - I'll bring some things too, but I'm open to anything that will keep those pests off of me!

Although I haven't yet, I'm signing up for the early morning ride also....I'll see you guys there. Depending on when I get there Thursday, I may grab a quick swim too.
  • Options

Just a lurker and a little late to this thread.

For those worried about the 112 X 2 there are options; i) just one loop like Doug suggested ii) On the 2nd day you can cut off the Ausable forks and Haselton road out and backs on two loops (looks to be about 12 miles per loop but I don't remember exactly) x1 or 2  loops.  iii) ride the course backwards down 86 to Wilmington (about 10-12 miles) after 1 loop to add additional distance.  I'd suggested riding backwards on 86  over getting to Keene and realizing you need to climb back up.

Gordon

• Options
    Just a friendly reminder to check your power meter batteries and make sure your computers are charged for the big week of cycling! I had my PM die during a RR last year and my first IM (neither was battery related) and it's not fun!