Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Michelle Swanson RV3 Quassy Race Report

First EN Race Report- exciting!
The main reasons for doing Quassy was that I wanted to do my HIM early in the season so I would not be training hard during the summer as I have for the past 3 years.  I wanted to give back summer to my kids.  The other main reason was I wanted to do a race with EN and my EN friends from Ottawa! It had been too long since I had the chance to share a race with these great friends!  Both objectives were accomplished with Quassy!  
Goals:  I knew this was a technical course going in so to execute it correctly was my main objective. Ride with discipline and let my months of training show in the swim, bike and run. The swim I wanted to manage no high expectations, get it done.  I had done the bike in 4hr during my race rehearsal so I figured anything 3:30 or less would be a win. The run, I wanted it to reflect my bike in positives not negatives.    
Swim- I was a bit nervous as I had some issues last year with breathing. I really wanted to start this year off right! So I have been practicing three words during my training swims.  One, Two, Three - loud and clear so no other thoughts could possible get in my way.  I am pleased to report I succeed for the most part with keeping any negative thoughts out of my minds reach.  I seeded myself a bit too far back and paid the price of navigating my way through the pack of swimmers till I found my own space.  When I turned right at the  first red buoy, that seemed like forever to get to.  BAM! The opposite of turning off the lights- someone turned the lights on- really on!! I could not see two feet in front or to my sides, great! and I was alone. I frantically searched for feet saw some " One, Two, Three  "  till I reached them, praying these feet knew where they were going!  I also tried using each buoy behind me to sight from.  I definitely lost some time on that middle section and was relieved when I finally hit the last leg of the swim and so I  one,two,three  to the finish                                                  Swim Time: 41:29  6/13 in AG 2:09/100m
Transition-  I took the time needed to get the job done. Slow is Smooth Smooth is Fast - just remember to turn on Garmin.  I actually tried to put body glide on my wet feet for about a nanosecond then moved on.  T1: 3:39
Bike- I had my arm warmers ready to go but decided at the last min to not wear them. I thought I was going to regret that about 5min into the ride but after 30 min I was happy not to have them to deal with- right decision. I feel really fortunate having  had the opportunity of riding this course twice.  Knowing what I had ahead of me gave me loads of comfort.  I wanted to focus on getting my drink and fueling "in" and "right" and I feel I accomplished this, even with missing that last bottle of gatorade from the last aid station and last stretched out arm, between their hesitance and my lack of experience grabbing  I miss the hand off.  But I knew I had enough drink in the bottle to get me to transition.   I was pleasantly pleased that I was passing lots of people and I really felt apart of the race even with having been in the last swim wave and in the 50+ category.  And the fact that I was right where I needed to be with regards to HR zones! this was so encouraging Woohoo!  My mantra the whole ride was " in YOUR box"  I  keep down on my aerobars for most of the hills.  I took note of how hard many bikers were riding the hills, I knew I would see some of them pay for it somewhere down the line. And I sure did! I saw one guy walking his bike in the last stretch as I was heading out for my run- ouch!  Not that I didn't feel the stress of the bike. Like many I could have gone faster but really leaned on the conservative and although I felt some fatigue in my legs it was manageable.   On the back end of the out/back Natalie came up beside me Oh, it was so wonderful to see a familiar face and give each other encouragement this helped give me that push for the remainder of the ride.                                                                                                                
Bike Time:  3:30   4/13 in AG  15:98mph  A nice move up in AG!
Transition- Again I concentrated on slow smooth movements and this time I dried my feet, then put on body glide= success. Don't forget to put Garmin on wrist, take off  HR belt, I HATE running with that thing stuck up under my, well lets not go there.  I forgot to tighten my racing belt with bib# so as I was running out down the shoot I almost tripped over it as is fell off.  I  pulled it up and with some fidgeting got it tighten and off I went.                                                            T2: 3:47
Run-Coming off the bike I had a Stinger Waffle, I have been doing this in training, the solid food intake seems to help my stomach deal with the stress of the run.  I really concentrated on keeping my pace in check on the start and that downhill, so much so I forgot to walk the first aid station and with the second aid station at 2.25 I was kicking myself and I had to pee!  I was so so happy to see that second aid station! and after my refueling and 30 steps of walking it felt like I had new legs!  I ran the aid stations picking up a cup of water, gatorade and ice. At the end of the aid station I walked my 30 popped a Cliff Blok,  poured the water over my head chugged back the gatorade and crunched the ice,  then off I ran- renewed!  On the out/back portion I was overjoyed to finally see Brenda! How strong she looked gave me confidence that I was doing things right!  After a sweaty but rejuvenating embrace we were both off to finish our race.  I took the hills one at a time used Brenda's voice  "No walking the hills" override any inkling to do so. Used gravity on the  downhills but those last four miles were tough, I had a wished I had more salt tablets as my legs were getting tight.  A lot of positive self talk and then the one hill I had been dreading the whole run that last hill! Although there were'nt many on the hill I don't think anyone was running.  I had run every hill and was not about to walk one now! I came up beside a man who was walking and said  "come on, its our last, our very last" he started running beside me, yay!  speechless we just ran side by side using each others forward momentum to propel us up the hill.  At about 3/4 way up he spoke " I'll have to let you have this one" Me "OH NO your not" I was not accepting his plea for walking, he keep running. I talked him all the way up  and around the corner to the top Woah! we did it. We thanked each other, then he stopped and said he was going to wait for  his buddy behind us- wow! now who help who I was wondering!  I was not sure I had it in me to sprint to the finish and although it was probably not much of a sprint it felt like I was flying into the finish, waving my arms in the air singing Alleluia I'm done, I did it! literally oh ya!  I didn't came to Quassy thinking I’d  PB, but I'm thrilled to say I actually PB on that run course after that bike course! Now that is EN "work is speed entering the body" !!!               Run Time: 2:10  4/13 in AG 9:56/mi    
Total Race Time: 6:29   Placed 4th/13 in my AG!  80/198 Gender
It was wonderful to meet Coach Patrick and EN teammates and to share the Quassy experience with everyone. As well, to spend some time with my Homies, the Ottawa Sleeper Cell!  You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl eh!

Comments

• Options

As I read your race report, your prep and attention to detail showed throughout the day and in the number's. What is really awesome sauce to hear in your report, was your mettle throughout the down times of the race. Great report great race and results followed, OSC was honoured to race with you on Sunday !

• Options
    Great job Michelle and nice to meet you!!
  • Options
    Great report, Michelle and well executed race! Super results on a tough course....it was great to meet you!
  • Options

Awww, thanks Steve!  KIm and Brad!

• Options

Great report Michelle. That is the way to do it and with fantastic execution.    Awesome job!  Congrats!