Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Carla T's First HIM GEagleman 70.3 Race Report

I took on this challenge to prove to MYSELF that I COULD train and finish a distance this long feeling decent in the end.  My goal was:

Cross the finish line feeling decent-no time goal, no pressure in how it got done as long as it got done and I didn't feel like I would pass out and to only have positive dialogue all day-no negativity!

Short version:  Goal accomplished!!!

Swim: 52:52     Bike: 4:19xx   "Run":  3:32xx

Long version:  I have to say that I didn't find too many people in my journey that were as positive as I was in me accomplishing what I thought I could do.  I didn't have a lot of support and it did get me down at times, but I overcame that and followed the plan, most of the time.  I didn't have extra money to buy much, but my EN membership, a cheap trainer and making sure I had decent nutrition were enough.  Illness, injury were a factor.  I am proud to say they didn't stop me.  Injured my hand three weeks before the race.  Swam for the first time after the injury 10 days prior to the race.  Felt AMAZING that I could swim.  Did a 2 hour bike ride 8 days prior and my hand held up. Yeah!

The week leading up to the race was crazy and not in the good way, BUT I started seeing signs that were positive.  Things felt like they were falling into place.  Friday before the race I packed up and headed to the Eastern Shore.  Once I crossed the Bay Bridge I could breathe a little easier.  Stopped at a friends and got in my bike spin-looked up and there was a house that had two Eagle statues-good sign!  Showered and chilled with my friend.  Got to talk a lot of my issues out-had a good cry then I felt ready for the weekend!

I could go on and on, but lets just say....once I landed in Cambridge EVERYTHING went right; everything.  I was so relaxed and chill and whenever I started to get nerves something happened that totally relaxed me.  If I tried to plan all the good stuff it would never have happened.  I felt like it was sign after sign that I was going to do what I set out to do.

Race day:  Again won't bore you with details.  It was a perfect weather day.  My only worry was if I could make the bike cut off since my wave was so late and I had never ridden the entire distance before.  One thing I can mention was I realized I forgot to leave my sunglasses in transition as I was wearing them as I set up.  They were even on my written list, but I still forgot to leave them there.  I ended up putting them in my tri suit pocket for the swim.  Next race will have TWO pairs of sunglasses-one to wear and one to leave in transition.

Swim: goal 45-60 min  52:52  First time I actually did bilateral breathing in a race. I usually end up left breathing, but it was natural to do both sides-WIN!  My first race with men and the 25-29 yo's were behind me.  Got punched a few times, but it was from the younger women behind me-the young guys just barreled thru, but there was plenty of room.

T1-wasn't expecting my family to show up til later in the day.  Came out and they were all there-cool surprise!  I was super pumped with adrenaline and sped thru transition-NOT!  It seemed like forever untangling my sunglasses from my tri suit.  Then I ran half way to the bike out and realized I didn't have them!!  I didn't know if I had to take my bike back with me or not, but I laid it down and ran back. Totally confused my family, but had to have the glasses.

Bike: finish before cut off and keep hydrated. Pretty much alone the whole time; was sure I was the last one out there and then I'd get passed.  Due to hand issue I unclipped at two aid stations to change up hydration, one Portapotty and give legs a break.  Those little breaks were all I needed.  Did very well with hydration as I planned.

Around mile 49 a gentleman asked how far we had.  We chatted a moment then he said he didn't want a penalty, so he was going to pass, but if I wanted to pass him I could.  Now up to this point I did not pass anyone.  I looked at my watch and realized I might not make the 1:30 bike cut off, so I kicked it up a notch, not worried if I could or couldn't "run".  I needed to get to transition!  I actually caught up with the guy, but didn't want to get a drafting penalty (can you imagine!) as were were getting closer to town/race personal.  I finally made a decision and passed him.  

Now at this point in the race I am biking next to the runners.  Since the run is an out and back loop I see both the ones headed to the turn around and the ones coming back.  I don't even THINK about what is ahead of me, only that I need to get in transition soon!  I fly in, my family is right there.  The guys at the bike dismount are super energetic.  I ask more then once if I made the cut off and they said I was fine and had plenty of time.  They made me turn around to have my husband take a photo of me.  Honestly I was not thinking clearly and just so happy to be there. (Found out later my husband had been chit chatting with them and they knew all about me and were glad I made it in time.)

T2-nothing special-one more Portapotty break

"Run" goal: get it done in time and don't feel lightheaded 

Short version: got it done-very last Eagleman 2014 finisher of the day and felt good at the end-not like I would pass out, light headed or compromised in any way though I couldn't wait to take my shoes off!

Long version: started with easy jog up to almost mile one, so I was seeing a lot of people coming into their finish-very cool.  Then had to switch it to walk 30 step jog to a point picked; then walk 30 seconds jog 30, then walk 60 jog 20, then I realized I just needed to walk.  By this time my hands were starting to swell, so I only did ice, some water at the aid stations.  I sipped Coke twice and had one GU gel, but felt like my hands couldn't take in anymore of whatever so water/ice were my key.

I was feeling good with my walking pace and thought I could be finish by the 5:05 pm cut off.  Then I passed a lady who was walking.  She said she was worried about making the 6.5 mile cut off time.  I had forgot about THAT cutoff.  I asked if she knew what that was and she didn't.  That took the wind out of my sails for a moment, but then I did what little jogging I could, which wasn't much, but man did I pick up the walking pace.

I was guessing the cut off was 3:30, so I set a goal for 3:25 to be safe.  Found out it was really 3:20 and I believe I crossed it at 3:23 ish.  Another woman (TK), who was doing her FIRST triathlon and just learned to swim in the winter AND had NEVER done an OWS without a wet suit (she did yesterday though) had crossed about 3 min before me and we met up at the aid station.  We were walking back when we passed the woman who earlier had told me about the cut off. She said she was just told by the official that she missed the cut off and it was 3:20 pm.  Well, to say that TK and I weren't a little panicked is an understatement.  Up ahead we saw the official picking up litter.  When we got to him we asked if we made the cut off.  He looked at his watch and said, "It was at 3:20, but if you do 15 min miles you will make it in.  Just keep each other going."

That was all we needed.  I eventually sent her on her way as we did do the jog/walk thing for a while.  But the sun came out of the clouds and it was too much for me.  I needed to walk.  I felt great with my fast walk, but the heat was getting to my head not my legs.

Met up with another walker the last two miles. We wondered if we would make it in officially or not.  I came to the realization that I totally proved to MYSELF that I could do 70.3 miles in a day, so I was going to be OK.  We were passed by two staff trucks-thought they might take us off the course, but they both clapped and waved us on.  One woman was way behind us and started jogging in.  She got past us and we cheered her on.  We heard the announcer bring in TK, two 28 yo's that were the last two to make the 6.5 mile cut off and the woman who jogged in.  

Then one of Catharine's friends came out along with most of my family.  Her friend started yelling at her to get her run on, she apologized to me and I told her to go.  We were in the shade now, so I thought what the hell, and got my jog on.  (My niece ran back to the announcer and told him that there were two more runners coming in, though I didn't know this at the time.)  We heard them say two more runners were on the course.  I knew I was going to make it!  With my family and Catharine's friend there we were able to get our jogs on and we did it!

8:54:51 and I felt decent (among other things)

Very glad my friend hooked me up with EN-Coach P helped me in more ways then one.  Glad I had somewhere to post my many ? and concerns.  I was also pleasantly surprised at myself for keeping my self dialogue positive all day.  It REALLY helped.  I do remember once wanting to say something negative and then as I was saying it switched it up to a positive statement.  It cracked me up, made me smile and started me on some very positive mind frame.

(Just tried to download a photo, but its not working-will try later.)

Comments

• Options
    Carla- Nice job staying positive and getting it done! Great surprise to have the fam there early. Congrats!
  • Options
    Congratulations Carla! A very inspirational report! Keeping a positive attitude is half the battle. You clearly set your goals, wanted to finish and achieved them. Sounds like excellent planning and strategy in my book. Great work!
  • Options
    Great race report Carla! Good thing I read the short version first because my heart was in my throat reading about the cut off times! You should be so proud of yourself for this amazing accomplishment. We can all learn a thing or two from your great attitude! Keep positive:-) Congrats!
  • Options
    Carla - Great job! It was very nice meeting you in Cambridge. We swim in Harford County (Bush River) most weekends in the summer if you ever want to join us.
  • Options
    Carla, congratulations! Mission accomplished! That was a lot to overcome.
  • Options
    Great job and congratulations!
  • Options

Carla,

Congrats on a successful first Ironman!

• Options
    Great job Carla! It was nice meeting you in Cambridge, and congrats on your first (of hopefully many!) 70.3!!
  • Options
    What an accomplishment. So happy for you Carla. If you are not getting the support you need at home with family and friends, always remember your other family - US! We will be here for you , through injury, set backs, etc....
  • Options

Carla - thanks for the inspiration as I get ready for my race this weekend.