Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Disc Cover Transport

Looking for advice from you vets. I have a disc cover and am using Tri bike transport to get my bike to Coeur d'Alene. What is the best way to get my disk cover there undamaged?

Comments

• Options
    I asked them directly and the cover is fine to be attached to the wheel on the bike. The disc wheel rule is really only for full solid disc wheels.
  • Options

Thats great. Saves me some $$$ again. I was planning on buying a wheelbag for the disc cover

• Options
    I wish i would have known that!! I added wheel bag charge even though i have a disc cover.
  • Options
    I didn't know that either, but I've used TBT in the past and the disc cover easily fit into my suitcase with a small bend.
  • Options
    Although TBT allows you to ship with a non-disc rear wheel (wheel cover is OK, like others have said); I've taken my two wheel cover halves and tied them together with a string and just carried them on the plane before - multiple times. No issues with TSA, airlines or anything.
  • Options
    Hi Chris, I shipped my bike to New Orleans from Chicago this April. On the way down I sent my wheel covers via UPS. I noticed several bikes with wheel covers so I just dropped my bike off with the covers on
    Bike and covers arrived safely back home within the week. TDT Rocks! Nothing like dropping your dirty bike and transition bag right outside of transition.
  • Options

question about disc covers. My rear wheel is a Velocity A23. When the disc cover is on, is a valve extender required? I have never put the disc cover on but will for IM Ca in 5 weeks. I will be using it during my RR2, but didnt want to have an unexpected surprise the night before?

• Options
    If the disc cover is from wheel builder then there is a cutout on one of the panels that gives access to the valve. You then use a special sticker or electrical tape to cover the opening. The one thing you might need to though is the "crack-pipe" which is a 90 degree bend adapter to be able to pump up the tire or use a CO2.

Here is the crack-pipe: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/silca-presta-adapter-for-disc-wheels.html
    Stickers: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/valve-cover-patches-for-aerodisc-cover.html

I thought I got my pump adapter for much cheaper though :/
  • Options
    Oh, and to answer your question, you would not need an extender.
  • Options

Jan...as Peter says, you will need a crack pipe.  You don't need or want an extender though, as the "cutout" is only so big and an extender makes it impossible to get the crack pipe on.  I use latex tubes for racing and a wheelcover from wheelbuilder, and it fits perfectly in the cutout...provided you have a crack pipe.  

• Options

Thanks Peter, the question actually came to mind when I was reading your race plan and you mentioned a valve extender. I will look for one of those. 

Do you need the crack pipe when using CO2? Or only when using a pump?

Btw, I thought crack pipes were cheaper than that. 

• Options
    I have the valve extender for my front wheel which is 60mm in depth
  • Options
    @ Jan, Yes, use the crack pipe with the pump and CO2 since it's hard to get into the cut out area of the aero disc cover.
  • Options
    actually you don't need a crack pipe.    you can get a regular pump head in there if you bend carefully.    practice.