Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Antoinette Rose's Rev3Quassy 2014 Race Report

So it took me a while to get around to a race report, making it difficult to remember some of the details I originally wanted to share, but here's my story...

Overall, the weekend was enjoyable, a great race, and a great learning experience in my bigger picture - the road to IMLP.  During the drive from home, one of my arm pads blew off my aero bars so I spent most of Saturday trying to find a replacement.  Missed team lunch due to this so didn't get to meet many EN team members.  My 3 yr old woke me up bright and early Saturday morning letting herself out the front door.  Guess in a retirment community (my in-laws house) they don't care much about who can reach the deadbolt. In my house, the locks are to keep little people in image

So I got her dressed and we went to cheer on friends at the Oly.  Got to meet some of the OSC crew there - what a great group!  During the drive from home, one of my arm pads blew off my aero bars so I spent most of Saturday trying to find a replacement.  Missed team lunch due to this so didn't get to meet many EN team members.  Although I had given up on finding replacement pads in any local shops, (you should have heard some of their suggestions though) Steve Boer was sure he could hook me up in some way with something that would do the job.  Thank you Steve for your offer!  On my way to check in my bike , I stopped at the mechanics tent and, what do you know - they had a set of pads that were not the kind I had on my bike, but I actually like them better...so feeling better about the bike now.  Left the bike and headed off for the Family Adventure Race.  I ran into a friend from my local tri club who had just finished riding the run course.  He suggested I get off my feet as soon as possible and "save something for the run...it's going to be a bear!".  So, off I go to run around the park looking for clues instead of resting.  Typical mom day; early to rise, last to bed. 

Race morning, got up early, had breakfast, nothing super notable to speak of here.  Ready sooner than expected so I hopped in the car and headed toward Quassy.  Got to transition, set up my stuff, still unsure what to wear on the bike but got situated with a few options, made it to the team picture and headed to the car to drop off my extra stuff.  With wetsuit on, I made my way to the beach to get in a warm up swim before my wave and wait for the horn.

The Swim
As everyone else said, gorgeous morning, lots of sun.  I got a brief warm up swim in thinking it would help me get my rhythm sooner.  I lined up kind of in the middle with a plan to stay close to the buoy line and in the middle of the pack.  My goal was to stay calm, be comfortable, concentrate on good form.  Also, to not have to stop often for whatever reason.  That sounds kind of stupid because typically a race plan doesn't involve stops...particularly in the swim, but I somehow always have a goggle issue of some sort or get flustered by being crowded and just need to catch my breath.  It took me a bit to get into a rhythm and feel comfortable.  I tried to enjoy the calm, quiet water as this is the only part of a race that is somewhat peaceful.  The sun was blinding on the 2nd leg  as everyone else said.  The only problem this caused me was twice I looked up to sight and caught a mouthful of water, started coughing, had to compose myself and get back to business.  When I got out of the water, I was satisfied with the time on my Garmin.  Afterwards, looking at my pace, I was a bit disappointed, but later realized the pace was min/100meters rather than per 100 yds which is my usual measurement so I guess I am OK with that then.  Overall, my swim was not as fast as I had hoped, but it did take me a while to settle in and get my rhythm and that is something I always worry about.  The thing I need to work on most in OWS is settling in immediately - there is no other way.  So, not as fast as I wanted to be, but I felt good going into the bike.   
Swim Time: 43:50, Pace 2:16/100m  (

T1:  3:04 
The Bike
I felt great going into the bike.  I had listened to Coach P's recommendations on how to tackle the bike course and was going to follow that plan.  My goal was under 3:30 and keep my heart rate mostly in Z3 to save something for the run.  I rode the first 15 miles steady, having to pull myself back a few times to stay the plan.  I settled in, didn't drink much until about 25 minutes into the ride.  and then started my fueling plan.  At the first aid station, I grabbed a Gatorade and refilled my AeroDrink.  At the second station I was slowing just enough to grab a bottle, down shifting probably too late and dropped my chain.  Holding my half eaten PBJ Powerbar (that I brought with me) in my teeth as I unclipped to replace the chain and make sure nothing else was wrong.  I dropped my Powerbar which I was totally bummed about, particularly because the one I got in it's place from the aid station was not a favorite of mine so I stashed it in my Bento Box and kept peddling.  I seemed to be well hydrated and properly fueled - even had to slow down fueling a bit when I burped back up some Gatorade...then decided to lay off the on course Gatorade and stick to just what I brought with me.  I felt like I was sticking to my plan pretty well - keeping my HR rate in the low Z4 range on the climbs and sticking to mostly Z3 - trying to "flatten the course" as Coach P recommended and be pretty constant with my speed/cadence.  Even grabbed a water bottle at 3rd aid station, per Coach P's directions, to pour over myself before starting the run.  It felt great!
Bike Time:  3:25
Got to transition a few minutes earlier than I my predicted time I told my husband.  The kids were all there to greet me with signs...love those kiddos!  They stayed by me throughout my time in T2 cheering for me, and the oldest ran along side me (outside the chute) from the transition area almost to the road.  A great way to start the run!  

T2: 2:43

The Run

Again, trying to heed Coach P's advice, I tried to keep it slow the first 3 miles.  I found myself faster than my Z2+30 pace and had to keep holding back but I was happy to have this struggle, hoping to save something for the last 4 where I would have "permission to race".  When I hit the hill on the dirt road, I kept pushing, wanting to maintain my pace but knowing my HR would skyrocket.  I pushed up the hill, watching my pace slow more than I had wanted it to, but kept running.  I walked the length of every aid station, drinking a Gatorade at each, dumping a cup of water over my head and down my back and pouring a cup of ice down the front and back of my tri top.  I followed my fueling plan, used my own gel in the bottle I carried in my tri top and was feeling pretty good.  The hills definitely were harder than I thought they would be.  Almost all m long runs at home I made sure to include hills and tried to maintain my average speed right at my Z2 pace.  I was slowly watching my average pace drop.  I started feeling a hot spot on my right foot.  Trying not to alter my stride or my foot strike, I tried to ignore it.  After about 2-3 miles, I finally just stopped and retired my shoes, hoping tying them tighter would keep my foot from moving around as much.  Guess that worked because I didn't have any more foot issues, but my tri shorts were starting to rub on the insides of my legs - right where the stitching is around the pad.  I specifically wore these tri shorts because I've never had a problem with them.  I figured it must be because I was wet the whole time from pouring water on myself to stay cool.  Miles 8, 9, 12 I was right on target.  My stride and pace felt strong for the last 3-4 miles, except for that killer hill through the tunnel...damn that one was steep.  Coming down the road toward the finish, I pushed up the hill and there was my family to bring me to the finish line.  Sadly, no finisher pic because the woman who I passed before turning onto the main road back towards the park was right on my tail and passed me carrying a 3 yr old down the chute and blocked out the whole family as we crossed the finish line.  

Run: 2:03

My goal was to finish under 6:30 and feel good with minimal impact on the following training week on the road to IMLP.  Finish time was 6:18.  I feel I could have pushed harder on the bike and run but was really working on pacing myself.  I just wish I could figure out how to swim!  I try not to stress over it and just accept my time - after all, it's the shortest part of the race.  I think this race will be a valuable experience for IMLP where controlling my pacing and HR is going to be even more important.  I'm super happy to have made the decision to train with EN.  My last (and only other 70.3) was not nearly as enjoyable.

Comments

• Options
    Nice report. You executed like a ninja. Fabulous time as well. Congrats chica.
  • Options
    Great report and super execution - see you in LP!
  • Options
    Great job! Nice meeting you!
  • Options

Congrats on your race!  

Highly recommend you move towards liquid and/or gel nutrition for half Ironman racing. You can usually get away with bars and such at the IM distance but for a half Ironman you're typically racing much harder and than can be difficult with bars, ie, you stomach may not agree with you.

Congrats again!

• Options

Thanks Coach Rich - I agree.  I guess I inadvertently did that for this race since I dropped the bar and it worked out well.  I finished 3 bottles of liquid nutrition and 3 gels.  I probably should have included those details into my race report.