Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

IMCDA RR 2 Steve C.

I'm getting ready to do my final race rehearsal tomorrow!  I wish I would have written this up earlier in the week so hopefully i still have a few hours to get some feed back.   

RR Course:  I'll be riding a flat rail to trail course again with a two loop route with minimal stopping and no car traffic.  I'll be able to refuel my nutrition at my car before the second loop. 

Set up: Bike race ready clean with front 90 and rear disc.  Aero helment and race tri suit.    

Pre-race Nutrition: Breakfast will be 3 cups of apple sauce, protein, banana, and sports drink around 4:30am.  

Bike Nutrition:  1 24oz Infinit with 240 calories, 1 powergel 110 calories at 45 minute minute mark on the hour, chase with 10 oz water, and 1 salt stick at the top of the hour.  Total calories/hr=350 and sodium/hr=845.  This should end up being around 204 ozs with 2,100 calories.  

Bike Execution: Set my garmin to auto lap every 15 minutes.  First 30 minutes easy @ 65-69% so 148-155.  Rest of ride @ 72-73% 164-170.   

Run Nutrition: Run with 1 24 oz bottle of 50/50 perform drink every 1/2 mile and refill at 30 minutes, 1 powergel every 30 minutes, 1 salt stick an hour

Run Execution: Autolap on every mile with LRP at 8:58+30 seconds=9:28 

Any critique on nutrition and power/pace would be great!  I noticed in the last race rehearsal my watts drifted closer to 180 towards the end so i need to back off if possible.        

Comments

• Options
    For the Bike - calories, salt and hydration look good. I'm not sure how big of a guy you are but for me that would be perfect.

That seems like a lot of hydration for the run, but then again I'm not running in Atlanta. I do know that I cannot take in a powergel every 3 miles. I am closer to a gel every 45 min at the most. YMMV
  • Options
    I'm actually a lightweight and around 144 lbs currently....i'm also using a similar bike nutrition plan for the bike that worked for me before. I think I upped my fluids from the last RR feedback that I was going too light but it's looking like low 80's by the time i start running and humidity about 70% for the whole workout. Your right about the powergel on the run....my long run nutrition is usually every 45 minutes.

• Options

S - unless you plan on carrying fluids in the race (but why would you do that, weigh yourself down, with infinite fluids available every mile @ aid stations?), shouldn't you be drinking as you would be on race day, that is every mile?

• Options
    Well I did my race rehearsal yesterday and everything went well during the ride and run. However, I noticed on the bike that i felt slower even though I was in all of my aero gear....ie wheels and helment. Analyzing my data showed that i was in fact slower on the same course I did my previous race rehearsal on 18.6 mph vs 19.1 mph. Also, my average power was probably to high at 177 watts, should be closer to 170, and the previous RR I averaged 162 watts. Maybe, I'm over analyzing and I road the course slightly different than I did last time.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/520350169

Like everyone else, I find it hard to dial back to a slower pace on the run right off the bike...started out at 9:03 but need to be hitting a 9:30 pace. I felt kind of full when I got off the bike too so I'm not sure if I took in too many calories. I felt better as the run continued and my stomach became less bloated.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/520350191
  • Options
    @ Steven...assuming the same route, was wind direction/speed different?
  • Options
    Yeah the wind was kind of a non factor or I just didn't notice a headwind. I'm thinking I slowed down some this time for a of the traffic intersections....I've biked that course so many times over the years that I was surprised at how slow this one was. I guess it will be good for extra time in the saddle!