Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

IMCDA RR2

I did my RR2 yesterday and had some highs and lows, both I learn from.  I was trying really hard to focus on my nutrition this time as my first RR as not so great.  First time I did not feel good on the bike (don't think I took in enough fluids the first 2 hours) but completed the run.  However, that night I was very nauseous, dehydrated, graving salt. 

My plan for RR2: drink 24 oz of perform every hour plus water to wash down gel/salt pill. Water total was roughly 36oz.  Take gel (honey stinger) on the 30 min mark of every hour, at the 3:30 hour mark took a caffeinated gel (cliff mocha) for some extra kick.  I took 1 salt pill (Salt Stick) every other hour for a total of 3.  I peed 4 times during the bike.  I felt great coming off the bike and had no problems during transition.

This is what I think I did wrong because it was not in my plan but after 6 hours on the bike maybe I wasn't thinking correctly:  I saw another caffeinated gel in my stash and thought oh that gave me a great boost on the bike - I'll take it before my run and feel great.  Wrong!  As I started my run I had sloshing in my stomach with bloating.  The run was horrible!  So I'm not sure if it was the caffeinated gel right before the run or if I need more salt?  I typically don't take a gel (honey stinger) on the run until atleast the 30 min mark or even the 45 min mark. 

Any thoughts would be great.  Also it was brutally hot and humid - started in the mid 80's and climbed to about 91 with high humidity.  I had little to no tree coverage all day.  When I got home I had lost 2lbs which I didn't feel was that much considering the heat. 

Comments

• Options
    Hey Christina,

I'd call it a success, considering the heat and humidity you had for that ride. Managing that, successfully, is much, much more difficult under those conditions. I'm very confident that the conditions under which you did your RR are more difficult than what you'll see at CDA so just do what you did and you'll be fine :-)

That said, gels and any form of solid food can get tricky later in the ride and then more so on the run. The deeper you get into the day, the more likely you are to be in some flavor of dehydrated state, stomach is starting to say WTF, etc, if you do plan to take solids and gels, better to do so on the front of the bike and be very careful with it on the run.
  • Options

Hi Christina, I'm not the expert here, but I live and train in the desert, your story sounds a little like my first RR, I really was undershooting on the hydration, and I now take one salt tab per hour, you were doing every other hour.  When my temps are hitting 100, my body is able to absorb over 60oz of perform per hour, so I take it.  It made a world of difference for me, I now feel much better when I get to the run.  I am way on the high side on this stuff, but my 2 cents was in the conditions you described, you need more, not as much as me, but probably more, but follow the coaches advice as CDA will hopefully be more temperate.  And there are a lot of really experienced folks on this team to listen too.

Talk to you soon, will let you know what I hear on Monday re the tri top orders since we both have not received yet.

My RR is tomorrow Sunday since a friend loaned me his carbon race wheels as of this afternoon, so I pushed RR out a day so I could get the experience riding them this week.  Can't wait to try them out...

Bill

• Options

Posted By Bill Lowe on 14 Jun 2014 08:05 PM

Talk to you soon, will let you know what I hear on Monday re the tri top orders since we both have not received yet.

Hey Bill,

LG is shipping everything to us on Monday, will arrive in OH on Wednesday and start to go out at that time. 

• Options

Thanks Rich.  We are leaving for Idaho that following Tues evening, so cutting it close.  I'll pay for overnite if that helps.

Thanks again,

Bill