Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

IMAZ or IMMD, what would you do? Need help

Hey EN Team-

Could use your input here. I'm considering switching my current registration for IMAZ (was there last year for my first ever IM) over to IMMD.

QUESTION: Is 12 weeks enough time to get ready for an IM? That's how much time I'll have before IMMD. My outseason/early season hasn't been ideal due to work, travel, family, illness, etc. and I've already missed a few races I had planned for. However, I don't think I'm in bad shape, but definitely am lacking durability compared to where I was last year. Current stats: already at racing weight and BF%, swim TT is only a few seconds slower than where I was before IMAZ last year, FTP is significantly lower (278 now vs. 292 last year), VDOT is 1 point off from last year.

QUESTION: Is doing a "practice" race critical before going out to do your "A" race? I've missed two "B" practice races already that I had planned on doing. There is a slight possibility that I might be able to get an Oly race done about 4-5 weeks out from IMMD. If I stick with IMAZ, there's a slight chance I might be able to do a HIM about 10 weeks out.

Any comments or suggestions here would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    You only gave us negatives to doing IMMD and no reasons to why you want to switch in the first place nor what your goals are for your second IM. You definitely have time to be ready to race IMMD but based on your description of your OS and workouts so far you would be more competitive at IMAZ. You don't need a race before an IM. If you do the Oly you should train thru it with no or minimal taper.
  • Options
    I did IMC on 8 weeks of training last year and finished in 11:30 on a course much harder than AZ or MD. I'm doing it again this year on a 12-week program after not having worked out since November.

Less than ideal? Sure. You'd be amazed at how good of shape you can be in 12 weeks.
  • Options
    Wolf, you did so well in AZ last year. I can't imagine you allowing yourself to not be fully prepared and at 100% for a race. Sticking to the plan of going to AZ again given your current fitness seems like the logical choice. I would definitely sign up for the HIM (I did Rev3 Maine in Aug last year leading up to AZ and it was absolutely the best decision). I was able to focus on a faster race while building my fitness for AZ. Once the race was done, I jumped right into week 10 (I believe) of IM training without skipping a beat. In fact, this is where I am now leading up to IMMT week 9 after racing Raleigh.

With all this said, I think you are disciplined enough to crush either venue with any given amount of training time. The question will be do you really want to do IMMD, the pancake flat boring course image?
  • Options
    Wolf ... I routinely need 8 weeks max to get ready for an IM, BUT, that does not include any time needed to raise FTP and VDOT. IF you do IMMd and want the best feasible preparation, take 4 weeks of Get Faster training, then the last 8 weeks of IM. If that doesnt sound ideal ( and its not), see me in Tempe in Nov.

Races before an IM are for fun, and shaking off the competitive rust. Not mandatory for fitness, however. An Oly on the last 8 weeks sounds great. HIMs are a big deal; given your competitive nature, it might be a hindrance, not a help, if done in the last three months before an IM, by reducing training time given the one week recovery needed afterwards.
  • Options
    WOLF, there's a big difference between CAN and SHOULD. Durability is the #1 IM limiter...sound's like your year has been less than optimal...not sure why you'd want to cram an Ironman in there? We can help you do whatever you want...just curious!!!!
  • Options

Hey folks, thanks for the replies and help!

@Robert - Thanks! Sorry, should have given a little more info here. I don't mean to imply that IMMD is a negative per se. Reasons for switching from the current plan of IMAZ to potentially doing IMMD instead is that it's hard to justify the added expense of jetting out to Arizona to do the IM when I have one so close to home (only <2 hr drive to venue from my house). I'd have a ton of people out to cheer me on (family, friends, clients, etc) and I wouldn't need to take as much time off of work. Plus, doing a race only two weeks into the school year and still early in the season for my son's football is "easier" than the timing of the IMAZ race. SO, logistically the IMMD race is a bit easier to juggle than the IMAZ race. My goals for the second IM depend on which one I'm doing: if I do IMAZ I would want to beat my time (10:44)&nbsp;from last year. After having analyzed my data and revisiting the race over and over in my head, I have identified 35 minutes that I left out on the course last year. Time where I could have pushed instead of held back, time where I could have been faster except for either unwitting error or apprehension. So, I feel like I could go back to the same venue to see if I can post the time I feel like I might be capable of doing. If I do IMMD, given the amount of time I have left for prep, I'd want to go out and simply execute a smart race and "do the best I can" given my banked fitness on race day.</p>

@Bob - Thanks! I've seen others on the team write how they've done what you described as well. However, I don't feel like I'm at that level or ability and it's only my second IM which was my cause for concern in potentially switching to IMMD from the planned IMAZ. The other problem I have is that, once school gets back into full gear the time between beginning of Sept and IMAZ (mid Nov) gets tight with work, travel, kids, schedule, etc. Not that it's impossible, but I remembered how tough it became last year in the build to IMAZ (as I guess it is anytime you do training for long course).

@Danielle - Thanks! I do want to return to IMAZ to see if I can do better and be prepped to rock (especially with a potentially new bike course?). And yes, I am a bit leary of doing the IMMD bike course since the elevation profile is only 50 feet or something like that. However, a Saturday race and being able to be back home by Sunday and to work by Monday just seemed like an easier thing to juggle. Decisions, decisions!

@Al - Thanks! You (and the others currently slated to do IMAZ) are one of the main reasons why I really want(ed) to head back out there! To potentially race along side you and Rian and everyone else is a huge draw for me. Not to say that I'm not psyched to race with the EN folks doing IMMD, but it's not often I get to race with, and learn from, experienced uber athletes while now having an IM under my belt.

@Coach P - Thanks! I didn't mean to imply that I'm considering doing IMMD and IMAZ!  Yikes! I would do only one. My durability is the one thing I've been most concerned about. I know I can finish the IM at this point, it's just how well and whether or not it was something I will have enjoyed and/or felt good about. If you (and Bob and Al and others) feel like 12 weeks is enough time to prep for an IM and I stay diligent in my workouts and rest, then I would lean towards IMMD given logistics listed above. However, if having looked at my numbers and where I'm currently at you felt that I would not be able to perform well I would go with  IMAZ and then really go out and try to hammer and chase down the 1/2 hour I feel like I left out on the course.

I really appreciate the time and effort in responding and the advice!! Wolf